This is on Frost

jimmy1

15 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

What is people's obsession with sitting a player for a series so they can learn or get their head right or whatever. Can anyone cite and example of that working? I honestly can't think of one. 

Have you ever played or coached?  Serious question. 

Often when someone is overwhelmed (which many agree is how AM has looked this year) it gives them a chance to calm down, watch and hopefully put the mental side together. Jut by simply slowing things down a bit when the game is moving too fast for someone. Which I think is where AM is right now because he appears to be thinking and not playing instinctively. At least how it appears to me. 

I cant cite you any examples at the highest levels, but I’ve done in many times in coaching. Did it work every time?  Of course not, but it did sometimes. And when it didn’t, it wasn’t any worse. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 3rd and long said:

Have you ever played or coached?  Serious question. 

Often when someone is overwhelmed (which many agree is how AM has looked this year) it gives them a chance to calm down, watch and hopefully put the mental side together. Jut by simply slowing things down a bit when the game is moving too fast for someone. Which I think is where AM is right now because he appears to be thinking and not playing instinctively. At least how it appears to me. 

I cant cite you any examples at the highest levels, but I’ve done in many times in coaching. Did it work every time?  Of course not, but it did sometimes. And when it didn’t, it wasn’t any worse. 

Yes I played into college and never saw it happen on a team I played on. I watch a lot of football too and can't think of it happening. 

I understand the idea that if a player is struggling in a single game you pull him and try to settle him down. But this was game 6 what would one drive do that they can't do during the week? Couldn't you do the same thing in film study? 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I thought I've read that was pre-planned and Frost new it was going to happen. 

I honestly don’t remember the exact circumstances. I thought I read somewhere that Frost was pissed about it at the time. 

I just think AM looks bad right now. Confused timid inaccurate. Yes the oline play has a ton to do with it but at least to my eyes Vedral looked more poised dealing with it. On the QB runs he just seemed to take off and go for it. So many times I see Martinez run and I see the yellow line and think he’s got the 1st and he hesitates and comes up short. I just don’t know where that guy from last year went

I kind of get it,  but I kind of don't too.  Seems like there is such an overwhelming,  deep need to blame somebody.  I love when the team wins, but it doesn't effect my life in the least.   If a loss truly has a major effect on your life,  that is sad.  I think it is possible to revel in every win AND not get depressed or angry with a loss.  Unless you're gambling on the game,  but that is a whole different story. 

2 minutes ago, olddominionhusker said:

I honestly don’t remember the exact circumstances. I thought I read somewhere that Frost was pissed about it at the time. 

I just think AM looks bad right now. Confused timid inaccurate. Yes the oline play has a ton to do with it but at least to my eyes Vedral looked more poised dealing with it. On the QB runs he just seemed to take off and go for it. So many times I see Martinez run and I see the yellow line and think he’s got the 1st and he hesitates and comes up short. I just don’t know where that guy from last year went

I thought Osborne said before the game that London would play in the first half. 

I'll agree that Vedral looked more decisive running, but that's one aspect of the QB game. And I don't think it's the deciding factor unless everything else is equal. Also, Martinez has 315 yards this year and ran for 629 last year in 11 games so he's just barely behind his place of last year. 

3 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I thought Osborne said before the game that London would play in the first half. 

I'll agree that Vedral looked more decisive running, but that's one aspect of the QB game. And I don't think it's the deciding factor unless everything else is equal. Also, Martinez has 315 yards this year and ran for 629 last year in 11 games so he's just barely behind his place of last year. 

So i guess it’s still a valid example then. Frost could tell AM that Vedral is starting the next game right. Then AM comes back out and we win another Natty :)

1 minute ago, CapoValley said:

1997, Frankie London took over for Frost against UCF

Already covered this, but I was under the impression Osborne had said the week before that London would play in the first half and that Frost knew. 

Either way I still think it only makes sense if the game is a one off and it's the first time he's struggling. What does one drive do in a game that wasn't accomplished in film review and during the week? 

1 hour ago, CapoValley said:

And later Lincoln found himself incorrect and replaced McClellan

Lincoln wasn't incorrect.  He also saw the need to replace McClellan, but he needed a viable replacement first.  Even when he did fire McClellan, he suffered through fussy Halleck, luckless and overmatched Hooker, and disappointing Meade before finding an effective commander in US Grant.  Believe me, you do not want Fighting Joe Hooker snapping the football.

26 minutes ago, everybody knows my name said:

Lincoln wasn't incorrect.  He also saw the need to replace McClellan, but he needed a viable replacement first.  Even when he did fire McClellan, he suffered through fussy Halleck, luckless and overmatched Hooker, and disappointing Meade before finding an effective commander in US Grant.  Believe me, you do not want Fighting Joe Hooker snapping the football.

Here’s hoping coach Frost powers through the hookers to find his true leader on defense 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, CapoValley said:

Against the worst offensive team in the P5?  Sure. 

They aren't very good but I mean we defended them pretty much the same as Wisconsin did. The defense isn't elite but thus far this year they have done more to win us games than the offense has. Not sure why they get so much heat. As far as I can tell we are moving in the right direction, you don't just go from where we were in 17 defensively to elite in 2 years. We are getting better and thats what counts right now. I bet no one would be talking about the D really if our offense was firing on all cylinders and putting up big point totals

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, CapoValley said:

Against the worst offensive team in the P5?  Sure. 

I mean we didn't make their offense look like it has All Americans on it which has been a Nebraska defense calling card for years. They took care of a bad offense which is what you ask them to do.