This is on Frost

jimmy1

10 hours ago, 3rd and long said:

Have you ever played or coached?  Serious question. 

Often when someone is overwhelmed (which many agree is how AM has looked this year) it gives them a chance to calm down, watch and hopefully put the mental side together. Jut by simply slowing things down a bit when the game is moving too fast for someone. Which I think is where AM is right now because he appears to be thinking and not playing instinctively. At least how it appears to me. 

I cant cite you any examples at the highest levels, but I’ve done in many times in coaching. Did it work every time?  Of course not, but it did sometimes. And when it didn’t, it wasn’t any worse. 

You are lucky to have a backup that is just as good as the starters worst then, maybe a bit better.

Just last week, my QB started with the worst two series of his season.  Missed reads, holes, and couldn't even throw a simple swing pass that I know he can throw with his eyes closed in practice.  He stayed in and we scored on the next 4 drives.

His backup, while a decent runner, is not anywhere near the same level.  I'm not saying sitting a struggling player is always a bad thing, but it also depends on what the team needs to accomplish and if a "backup" is capable...

1 minute ago, funhusker said:

You are lucky to have a backup that is just as good as the starters worst then, maybe a bit better.

Just last week, my QB started with the worst two series of his season.  Missed reads, holes, and couldn't even throw a simple swing pass that I know he can throw with his eyes closed in practice.  He stayed in and we scored on the next 4 drives.

His backup, while a descent runner, is not anywhere near the same level.  I'm not saying sitting a struggling player is always a bad thing, but it also depends on what the team needs to accomplish and if a "backup" is capable...

Fair point. 

But also in your situation it was only two series into the game before he turned it around. I think that’s pretty common, especially if a player is pretty excited or amped up for a game, for a player to take a bit to settle in. 

I think though your point actually adds some context to the situation in how soon some are calling for the backup.