What did we learn? (The NW edition, sponsored by the MASH 4077)

37 minutes ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

Its an amazingly great strategy to schedule the worst Sun Belt and MAC Conference teams as nonconference opponents.  The nonconference schedule needs to be longer.  

NIU is the worst MAC team? You might want to tell the rest of the MAC that so they can stop letting the worst team win the conference

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Frankly, I'm tired of Riley being the scapegoat.  He went 6-7, 9-4 and 4-6.  People act like he went 0-fer three years in a row.  5 to 7 years?  Frost can't win with players other than the ones he recruits?  That's a scary thought. 

So far, this team has regressed badly from the second half of last season.  2AM needs to now be referred to as "Midnight" because he's turned into a pumpkin.  The line can't block a bit even though we've been told these guys are stronger physically.  Our receivers can't get open on their own.  Apparently route running isn't taught by this staff.  Our offense is now "get the ball to Robinson."  Not quite the offense I expected from a guy who learned from Osborne, Walsh and Kelly.  

Still no reason for some of these fans calling for Frosts job already. 

Still no reason to judge Frost the way some are. Should the staff be immune to criticism? Absolutely not. But some are being extremely over-the-top with their criticism. 

If we still see these same mistakes in year 4 and 5 when it's all Frosts players for his system then we can jump to dramatics. 

People forget most of these players on the roster were not recruited for this type if a system and the young ones that were are young. 

• Plus1 3

45 minutes ago, Huskr25 said:

Still no reason for some of these fans calling for Frosts job already. 

Still no reason to judge Frost the way some are. Should the staff be immune to criticism? Absolutely not. But some are being extremely over-the-top with their criticism. 

If we still see these same mistakes in year 4 and 5 when it's all Frosts players for his system then we can jump to dramatics. 

People forget most of these players on the roster were not recruited for this type if a system and the young ones that were are young. 

Nah.  Teams make quick turnarounds all the time.  That last excuse you are making was also made with Riley.  I'm not saying Frost needs to go, I love him as our head coach, but he needs to make some changes.  Farniok may not block as well, but high snaps have to really screw with a QBs head.  Imagine being a QB and your eyes should be downfield, instead youre focusing on catching a football that may come in high(if it does come high, you've already missed your first read).  That will throw the whole play off everytime even if the snap is good.  Mentally it will screw you up everytime.  

• Plus1 1
33 minutes ago, Beez said:

Nah.  Teams make quick turnarounds all the time.  That last excuse you are making was also made with Riley.  I'm not saying Frost needs to go, I love him as our head coach, but he needs to make some changes.  Farniok may not block as well, but high snaps have to really screw with a QBs head.  Imagine being a QB and your eyes should be downfield, instead youre focusing on catching a football that may come in high(if it does come high, you've already missed your first read).  That will throw the whole play off everytime even if the snap is good.  Mentally it will screw you up everytime.  

My whole argument is directed towards the people that are wanting Frost gone. So yes I agree with what you're saying.

However I will say most teams that make a quick turnaround have stocked talent already in the program. Before anyone tries to say "oh but look at our recruiting rankings compared to others in the B1G"...Our recruiting rankings have been heavily skewed the past few years before Frost.

So what changes are you wanting Frost to make? Becoming a revolving door of assistant coaches? That's what I'm getting at. People want all these staff changes way too soon in this rebuilding process. If you cant see progress being made with this team then I'm not really sure what to tell you. 

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, Huskr25 said:

My whole argument is directed towards the people that are wanting Frost gone. So yes I agree with what you're saying.

However I will say most teams that make a quick turnaround have stocked talent already in the program. Before anyone tries to say "oh but look at our recruiting rankings compared to others in the B1G"...Our recruiting rankings have been heavily skewed the past few years before Frost.

So what changes are you wanting Frost to make? Becoming a revolving door of assistant coaches? That's what I'm getting at. People want all these staff changes way too soon in this rebuilding process. If you cant see progress being made with this team then I'm not really sure what to tell you. 

Got any evidence of the bold? Or explanation of what you mean by skewed?

Got a W.  Ugly.  Going to be an adventure the rest of the year.  No easy games. 

Bright side- offense scored more points and had more yards against NW than Wisconsin did.  Defense played lights out and held NW to less points than Wisconsin.  

Dark Side- WR and Oline play.  But that NW defense is pretty darn good.  Scary they have only 2 SR on the 2 deep.  

Thought the D played pretty well. They gave the offense several chances. Glad they caused a couple fumbles too. Even if we didn't recover them, it was good to see them causing some disruption. D line didn't seem to miss a beat.

Offense had several chances to put the game away earlier. Glad Vedral was able to step up. He looked poised and confident. Hopefully JD and AM can get healthy.

• Plus1 2
8 hours ago, Blackshirt_Simonsen said:

I saw a former player on twitter point out that he thinks a big problem with Jurgens is his technique. If that actually is the problem, it should be an easy fix right?

I thought the same thing when they showed and angle right behind him.  He's bringing the ball all the way up to his a$$.  He should have a spot on his thigh he hits every time with his forearm.  At least thats how i've seen bad snaps corrected.  

• Plus1 1

The  Good: The defense was very much 'Bend but Don't Break,' but they didn't bend much when it counted. Yes, there was alleged PI on Lamar's INT, but he has really been ball-hawking for a good while. Others have mentioned - he'll probably break our new streak of having no one drafted. Which is nice. 

Wandale is everything we hoped he would be and more. Thank God he flipped from Kentucky. Say what you want about Frost and his play-calling, but that zone-read shovel pass was one of the most creative plays I've ever seen. I guarantee it will be stolen and used by other teams in the coming weeks. Creative and effective - first time I've ever seen a play like that.

The Bad: The OL continues to struggle, but I'll give them a little grace, as NW's defensive front is very tough. Good, tough players, tackling and pursuit. Very well coached. However, we NEED to be better up front. Our linebackers were often out of position, over-pursued, and missed tackles. Clean it up, Chin.

The Ugly: We seem to get a flag EVERY punt and kick return. Horrible. Kick coverage has been abysmal. Punts are nothing to write home about. Our special teams need A LOT of work. Figure it out, DeWitt!

And, for the LOVE OF GAWD, can we get through a game without a high snap? This is literally a JUNIOR HIGH problem! Austin, FIGURE IT OUT! (Or, Scott, can we get a kid in there that knows how to snap a flipping football?) We have to be the only FBS team that is dealing with this right now. Unbelievable.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1