What did we learn? (The NW edition, sponsored by the MASH 4077)

2 hours ago, CAHusker said:

Bro, did you watch any games last year?  I love what Vedral did, and Martinez is struggling, but that statement is whack.

Bro, this is just an observation.

Martinez is not the same this year.

He has looked desire less or injured all season.

Something is amiss.  

He’s just not the same guy we had last year.

I’ve seen many difference makers at NU over the last 50 years, he isn’t one this year. 

Difference makers carry a team on their back.  

see Wan’Dale

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, SFW said:

Something is amiss.  

I’ve seen many difference makers at NU over the last 50 years, he isn’t one this year. 

see Wan’Dale

The team is in disarray on offense.  Last year it took three games, after a blowout loss, to get on track.  A. We're two games away from that 2018 path and B. Can we have a year we don't get blasted before "figuring it out?" 

Many on this board have seen excellence at some point in NU lore.  I saw it in spades as it developed through the 90's.  Adrian isn't it.  Not this year.  And TMart?  Someone told him he fumbled too much, which he did...he became a way worse runner literally losing his juke and tucking head first into the defender to get flattened.  He never threw well.  He digressed in his value as he aged.  

He wasn't it.  

For me, I am trying to envision these young O-Line players as ever dominant.  I don't see it.  Slow on their feet, too okay with getting beat.  And I'm hoping either Luke or a Grad Transfer Milton get the 2020 nod at QB.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, SFW said:

Something is amiss.  

see Wan’Dale

So just to clarify, you were expecting me to translate this response from your original?

ORIGINAL

"Martinez would not have won the game if in.  

He is not a difference maker!"

Interesting....  

Ok, I'll bite.  see below

Agree

Agree

Something is amiss.

Again, agree

Agree, but he broke almost every freshman record for a QB.  What we saw from a fan standpoint was something we have never seen at Nebraska, a passing and running phenom.  Pretty much a different maker

You got me there, I only have 40 years.   

Possibly, but not when there offensive line is young, inexperienced and playing poorly.  Additionally, the lose of a 1000 Yard Rusher and Receiver didn't help things.

see Wan’Dal

Love him

3 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

The team is in disarray on offense.  Last year it took three games, after a blowout loss, to get on track.  A. We're two games away from that 2018 path and B. Can we have a year we don't get blasted before "figuring it out?" 

Many on this board have seen excellence at some point in NU lore.  I saw it in spades as it developed through the 90's.  Adrian isn't it.  Not this year.  And TMart?  Someone told him he fumbled too much, which he did...he became a way worse runner literally losing his juke and tucking head first into the defender to get flattened.  He never threw well.  He digressed in his value as he aged.  

He wasn't it.  

For me, I am trying to envision these young O-Line players as ever dominant.  I don't see it.  Slow on their feet, too okay with getting beat.  And I'm hoping either Luke or a Grad Transfer Milton get the 2020 nod at QB.

I just laugh at posts like this. For 1, Taylor did throw it well in his Junior year, some would say that was his best season. But hey, who likes stats anyway? As for the rest of the post, just pure comedy.

• Plus1 1

I learned a lot of people remember Martinez from last year very differently than I do. At times this year he has been off - specifically passing the ball against OSU, and running against USA/Colorado/Northern Illinois. But since Frost yelled at him to run against NIU he's been good there, and outside of OSU (and USA I guess) he's throwing it about as well too.

There is absolutely room for improvement (and he will get there), but you guys saying he's worse than last year don't remember the picks thrown straight at defenders? Or the pretty significant lack of awareness in the pocket? Both of those are much improved, my only gripes at the moment are his little flip throws on the run being consistently low. He's had 2 bad games and very little help from receivers or the center. He is better than he was last year, with a worse supporting cast and a year of film for DCs to work with.

• Fire 1

15 minutes ago, Red Five said:

From Sam's column today.  Make of it what you will

5: Wins by the four teams Nebraska has beaten. Illinois has won twice while Northern Illinois, South Alabama and Northwestern have each won once. It’s also the number of victories for Minnesota, Nebraska’s next opponent.

Spare me the "It's just Illinois, Northern Illinois, South Alabama and Northwestern" talk Sam.  We've got a conference to win! :lol:

50 minutes ago, Red Five said:

From Sam's column today.  Make of it what you will

5: Wins by the four teams Nebraska has beaten. Illinois has won twice while Northern Illinois, South Alabama and Northwestern have each won once. It’s also the number of victories for Minnesota, Nebraska’s next opponent.

@knapplc has posted a "ranking" in previous seasons where they total the wins and losses from each teams opponents.  I can't remember who does that.  It's interesting to look at.

15 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

He wasn't it.  

T Mart was basically forced to play hurt a lot and never given a chance to heal up.  The coaches did not seriously give him a plan B so all teams like texas had to do was key on him until he was injured.  There is a lot there that isn't TMarts fault.  I will never understand playing a kid hurt.

He always went down awkwardly and do you know why?  From the time the kid was 4 yr. old he never played on a field with anyone who could catch him.

I basically feel that NU staff wasted him to a degree.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1