What did we learn? (The NW edition, sponsored by the MASH 4077)

3 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

T Mart was basically forced to play hurt a lot and never given a chance to heal up.  The coaches did not seriously give him a plan B so all teams like texas had to do was key on him until he was injured.  There is a lot there that isn't TMarts fault.  I will never understand playing a kid hurt.

He always went down awkwardly and do you know why?  From the time the kid was 4 yr. old he never played on a field with anyone who could catch him.

I basically feel that NU staff wasted him to a degree.

There was a clear point where he lost something when he ran. It was when he fumbled too often and someone on the staff told him. To compensate, he would freeze, make no move, and get smashed.  
His running regressed in the ways it means something. Tommie Frazier wasn’t very fast; he was tough to tackle in tight spaces and was really strong. Taylor was way faster and lost much of his tight-space jukes. 

Adrian is off. I hope to be surprised by him at some point, but I don’t see it.  He looks like he’s regressed this year. 

2 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

There was a clear point where he lost something when he ran. It was when he fumbled too often and someone on the staff told him. To compensate, he would freeze, make no move, and get smashed.  
His running regressed in the ways it means something. Tommie Frazier wasn’t very fast; he was tough to tackle in tight spaces and was really strong. Taylor was way faster and lost much of his tight-space jukes. 

Adrian is off. I hope to be surprised by him at some point, but I don’t see it.  He looks like he’s regressed this year. 

I’m pretty sure Frazier ran a 4.5 40.  When healthy, he was fast.  Maybe not Iback fast as iirc Ahman  Green ran a 4.3 while here for example- but Compared to other QB’s Frazier would be up there with the fastest as I remember it.

Watched the replay and was very encouraged.  We are capable of playing smart and disciplined. Some penalties were disappointing but we had zero turnovers  I think the coaches drilled it into the players that they could win if they didn't beat themselves.  NW's last drive shows that we can play NW ball better than NW.  They had penalties, almost fumbled and ultimately threw a pick.  Throughout the game our defense was close to making a few interceptions and getting another fumble.  We didn't take a lot of chances with conservative play calling and our QBs weren't just slinging it.  I'm starting to see a real team.  Players are listening to the coaches and the coaches are getting smarter while still being creative.  Our backups appear to be better prepared then we've seen in a long time which will pay off in the future.  The defense is playing OK.  We need better production out of the offense but as a team we are improving.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

There was a clear point where he lost something when he ran.

Yeah, he injured his ankle against Missouri, and Caputo stepped on that ankle a few weeks later. He was never full speed after that.

• Plus1 1
On 10/7/2019 at 6:16 PM, DefenderAO said:

He played basically the whole year in 2013 with plantar plate tear of the second metatarsal phalangeal joint.  

In 2012 he passed Eric Crouch for total yards.  Its hard enough to even start a game at that level, let alone have the career he had .  And bottom line of all the QBs we had at the time he was the only one with the ability to extend the play, extend the drive, and keep the O on the field.  Right now AMart is showing flashes.

11 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

He played basically the whole year in 2013 with plantar plate tear of the second metatarsal phalangeal joint.  

In 2012 he passed Eric Crouch for total yards.  Its hard enough to even start a game at that level, let alone have the career he had .  And bottom line of all the QBs we had at the time he was the only one with the ability to extend the play, extend the drive, and keep the O on the field.  Right now AMart is showing flashes.

I’m not talking 2013 Taylor.  He changed his style prior; “stop fumbling” - gets plowed. 

Tommie Frazier ran for 600 yards in ‘95. Part of the story was blowouts and also missing a bit of the KSU game, but the eye test told us he was a better runner than TMart. And not because he had a better line. He was a better player than Crouch and TMart... with worse stats. 

Stats are deceiving. Watching what happened to Taylor and what is happening to Adrian makes me concerned for the latter. 

On 10/9/2019 at 10:44 AM, DefenderAO said:

I’m not talking 2013 Taylor.  He changed his style prior; “stop fumbling” - gets plowed. 

Tommie Frazier ran for 600 yards in ‘95. Part of the story was blowouts and also missing a bit of the KSU game, but the eye test told us he was a better runner than TMart. And not because he had a better line. He was a better player than Crouch and TMart... with worse stats. 

Stats are deceiving. Watching what happened to Taylor and what is happening to Adrian makes me concerned for the latter. 

Do you have some sort of documented evidence (article, quote from player, pundit, or coach) to back up your personal theory that Taylor Martinez began to get smashed right after somebody told him not to fumble?  Can you clarify the date for me that this occurred so we can compare stats before and after?

Anything you can cite?  Or are you just opining? 

Lets start there.  

29 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

Do you have some sort of documented evidence (article, quote from player, pundit, or coach) to back up your personal theory that Taylor Martinez began to get smashed right after somebody told him not to fumble?  Can you clarify the date for me that this occurred so we can compare stats before and after?

Anything you can cite?  Or are you just opining? 

Lets start there.  

I watched the games. Every game. He had a fumble problem. He then would tuck way early, run  into a defender, and get flattened. 

Were you able to watch at that time?

• Plus1 1
On 10/10/2019 at 11:09 PM, DefenderAO said:

I watched the games. Every game. He had a fumble problem. He then would tuck way early, run  into a defender, and get flattened. 

Were you able to watch at that time?

If we gave you the football to run it as our featured back even though you were a slender QB and made you play hurt for almost a whole year you'd have a fumble problem too.