***Official QB Controversy Thread***

Play the kid. He has heart and is fearless. You could see it in his decision making. Martinez is the man, but Noah might be what they need for a series or half or for the next game. What do you lose by giving him a few series? And don’t tell me Martinez’ psyche because that clearly isn’t right and hasn’t been all year. 

1 minute ago, CapoValley said:

Man hopefully Vedral doesn’t pull a Crouch. Wahoo is a lot farther drive than Omaha and that’s will annoy Frost. 

The only time Vedral has cried is from the joy of winning ,so we don't have to worry about that. He's content to only get to see three plays ,so that tells you something right there.

11 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

I'm being told that Frost and Vedral know each other well, but the play calling for Vedral looked like the safest garbage you would call for a freshman backup in his first game. Can anyone explain that? A bunch of QB runs??

Don't know if this is sarcasm or not but we have been calling QB runs all the time with Martinez too but he just runs timidly. He was probably getting Vedral settled into the game a bit warming him up. As for the freshman backup thing, Vedral is a sophomore and this is his 3rd year in Frost's system

5 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

I'm being told that Frost and Vedral know each other well, but the play calling for Vedral looked like the safest garbage you would call for a freshman backup in his first game. Can anyone explain that? A bunch of QB runs??

Part of me honestly thinks it was by design.  Go ultra conservative, no INT's or TO's and see what happens or get to OT.

I think one reason Noah looks better is he has nothing to lose. Frost continually defends Martinez (publicly he should), but he blames the receivers, the OL, the snaps....Never poor reads, happy feet etc.  So I am ASSumimg that Noah knows Martinez is the man (at least barring injury).  Noah comes in with zulu foxtrots in his pockets and balls out.  He plays loose and free.  Grips and rips...I also think he is very poised in the pocket.  Doesn't get happy feet and extends the pocket with his mobility.  He has, IMHO, better pocket presence for the few times we've seen him.  He did play some at UCF, scout team and two camps here. He knows the system and IIRC, he was praised as "being a coach on the field". 

The best thing might be for Martinez to sit out next week.  Get healthy for the back half of the season. Get coached up live time during a game to point out what he might be missing in games.  Take the time to let Noah get some experience in a complete game.  See how he really does for 60 minutes.  Put some stuff on film for other teams after the bye to see. Maybe give Noah a series or 2 after Martinez comes back.  Make DC's game plan for that.  

Martinez aside, team needs to get healthy.....

Tired of martinez and his crap.  Vedral played like a kid from nebraska who wanted to win the f#&%ing game.  What psycho quarterback runs headfirst over and over into the line to make plays.  Hes like alright stupid dick lineman, if your not going to give me a chance to throw ill just pound the rock myself.  Nebraska has won plenty of games in the past with just people from this state who wanted to play the dam game.  Thats it.  I would just really like that, id not like to see martinez hot garbage next week or the week after.  Martinez talks like a nfl gb who loses the big game when he talks.  Vedral plays like a man who wants this place to succeed.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
23 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Let's trade O-lines with OSU and see what happens. 

I think we all understand the oline is a weakness. However, watch Adrien throw a simple swing pass or screen.. if you think he is in the same ballpark as fields, then you and I are just not watching the same games. 

Accuracy matters. 

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

The only time Vedral has cried is from the joy of winning ,so we don't have to worry about that. He's content to only get to see three plays ,so that tells you something right there.

You wanna go make a voltron with Vedral, Monte Christo, Matt Turman and Patrick Witt and go fight some crime?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, FearAmeer said:

I've been saying it all season and I'll say it again. Cam Jurgens and the O-Line are not making it easy on Martinez but it's clear Martinez isn't the same, not even close. His reads are terrible, he runs timidly, he overthrows passes, and he holds onto the ball too long. I don't know what the issue is but pointing at the stats and saying "he has better stats then Tommy's best year" is not a good way of looking at it. A lot of those stats are boosted thanks to JD Spielman making insane catches or Mo/Wandale making insane runs off of screen passes/short passes. I say we start Vedral and if it's not going well then we put Martinez back in but our offense was actually moving with Vedral out there. Open up Adrian's Junior year with a QB competition and if he wins it back then so be it. As of right now I'm tired of all the excuses and he's done enough for me to say he's lost the job for the time being. 

It was? Here's Vedral's drive chart. 

3 plays 2 yards

6 plays 22 yards 

3 plays -4 yards 

6 plays 42 yards - 32 on one catch 

That's 3.4 yards per play. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, WyoHusker56 said:

It was? Here's Vedral's drive chart. 

3 plays 2 yards

6 plays 22 yards 

3 plays -4 yards 

6 plays 42 yards - 32 on one catch 

That's 3.4 yards per play. 

Well it was certainly better then what we were doing the whole rest of that game lol. A lot of our drives were killed from playcalling too tbf but I like that Vedral actually runs hard and fast. Martinez terrible reads and hesitative running is so frustrating to watch

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, olddominionhusker said:

So just a hypothetical scenario here. You said earlier that the starter gets his job back no matter what if he loses it to injury. Let’s say Vedral is lights out as the starter for the next two weeks and we win two blowouts. Do you still go back to the AM when he is healthy despite his bad play all season. Or do you go with the guy who has come in and done well?

Ive never liked the whole you can’t lose your starting job due to injury mantra. Especially when you can make the case that even without an injury it was maybe time for him to sit because of poor play

What hes saying is he doesn't believe in accountability. It might be Mike riley 

4 minutes ago, FearAmeer said:

Well it was certainly better then what we were doing the whole rest of that game lol. A lot of our drives were killed from playcalling too tbf but I like that Vedral actually runs hard and fast. Martinez terrible reads and hesitative running is so frustrating to watch

I'm not trying to pick a fight but I don't agree our offense improved. Martinez led drives of drives of 8 plays 70 yards, 10 plays 61 yards, and 9 plays of 65 yards. 

I agree Vedral ran it more decisively, but some of that is the position he was put in and isn't reason enough to start him. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1