***Official QB Controversy Thread***

5 minutes ago, olddominionhusker said:

The center issue is mind blowing to me. We literally have a center that can’t snap. Like make the dude stay after practice and snap it 100 times every day. He is like Shaquille O’Neill with free throws. 

I don't know about snapping footballs but I do know something about shooting free throws.  Shaq's mechanics were bad which leads to inconsistency.  I think Cam's mechanics are bad.  Snapping 200 times a day probably won't solve the issue unless his mechanics are fixed.  I imagine he's snapping from a pendulum motion so whether he launches it or makes a reasonable snap is a matter of split second difference in his release timing.  I don't know if that is normal or if it should be more of a upside down pass.  Maybe it's something as simple as having a consistent stance.  I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the problem to be diagnosed and fixed 5 games into the season.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, 4skers89 said:

I don't know about snapping footballs but I do know something about shooting free throws.  Shaq's mechanics were bad which leads to inconsistency.  I think Cam's mechanics are bad.  Snapping 200 times a day probably won't solve the issue unless his mechanics are fixed.  I imagine he's snapping from a pendulum motion so whether he launches it or makes a reasonable snap is a matter of split second difference in his release timing.  I don't know if that is normal or if it should be more of a upside down pass.  Maybe it's something as simple as having a consistent stance.  I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the problem to be diagnosed and fixed 5 games into the season.

I, too, shoot free throws under my a$$ facing the opposite direction.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 3
30 minutes ago, olddominionhusker said:

The center issue is mind blowing to me. We literally have a center that can’t snap. Like make the dude stay after practice and snap it 100 times every day. He is like Shaquille O’Neill with free throws. 

Agree 100% how the hell can the center be so bad at snapping. I hold my breath every time the ball is snapped. Make him snap it over and over in practice until he gets it right. With that beintlg said, he did do alright on the last drive 

• Thanks 1

Hey guys, big fan and first time poster here. Just wanted to chime in with the whole Martinez/Vedral situation. First off though, I just want to point out how disappointed I am with our media that continues to not call Frost out in the post-game for the play calling and poor snaps. We couldn't be more kindergarten after games. Of course Frost is our guy and I wouldn't want anyone else as our coach but there still has to be accountability. Anyway, back to the QB situation, while I absolutely agree that Martinez has looked off this year, and even shell shocked at times. I think the wild snaps cannot be stressed enough for how much they're disrupting the timing and execution of plays. Well over half of the snaps are causing Martinez to have to take his concentration off of reading the defense to catch them, and even jump to catch some. Now some plays aren't directly effected by the snap, such as straight drop back passes. But the swing passes, screens and quick throws are largely connected to the timing of the Martinez having to concentrate on the snap. Don't get me wrong, some of this is on him. Especially his hesitancy running the football. Vedral's running was a breath of fresh air when he came in and gave us a spark. But the snap to Vedral that "went over his head" was a snap that Martinez regularly catches. That was a perfect example of Vedral trying to read the defense, and not expecting the snap to be inaccurate. But back to Martinez, I think some of the preseason hype is to blame for the drop in production. I have very little doubt he is going to be an all-time great here, but it's going to take time. I think having Stanley and the other leaders we had on offense last year gave him sort of a pass on having to be THE guy last year. But this year it's all on his shoulders. Give him time though, he's going through a sophomore slump but I have confidence. All in all I have to say that I was impressed with Vedral and think he would be more than serviceable going forward. But let's  hope Martinez is good to go soon. Sorry for the long first post. Rant over. 

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 2
25 minutes ago, Homegrown1124 said:

Hey guys, big fan and first time poster here. Just wanted to chime in with the whole Martinez/Vedral situation. First off though, I just want to point out how disappointed I am with our media that continues to not call Frost out in the post-game for the play calling and poor snaps. We couldn't be more kindergarten after games. Of course Frost is our guy and I wouldn't want anyone else as our coach but there still has to be accountability. Anyway, back to the QB situation, while I absolutely agree that Martinez has looked off this year, and even shell shocked at times. I think the wild snaps cannot be stressed enough for how much they're disrupting the timing and execution of plays. Well over half of the snaps are causing Martinez to have to take his concentration off of reading the defense to catch them, and even jump to catch some. Now some plays aren't directly effected by the snap, such as straight drop back passes. But the swing passes, screens and quick throws are largely connected to the timing of the Martinez having to concentrate on the snap. Don't get me wrong, some of this is on him. Especially his hesitancy running the football. Vedral's running was a breath of fresh air when he came in and gave us a spark. But the snap to Vedral that "went over his head" was a snap that Martinez regularly catches. That was a perfect example of Vedral trying to read the defense, and not expecting the snap to be inaccurate. But back to Martinez, I think some of the preseason hype is to blame for the drop in production. I have very little doubt he is going to be an all-time great here, but it's going to take time. I think having Stanley and the other leaders we had on offense last year gave him sort of a pass on having to be THE guy last year. But this year it's all on his shoulders. Give him time though, he's going through a sophomore slump but I have confidence. All in all I have to say that I was impressed with Vedral and think he would be more than serviceable going forward. But let's  hope Martinez is good to go soon. Sorry for the long first post. Rant over. 

Welcome to the board! Great points sir

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, Homegrown1124 said:

Kind of speaking to your last point about Martinez and the hype... I so agree! He wants it so badly, and he cares soooooo much. I tell my husband he’s like the kid who stayed up for 3 days snorting No Doze to ace the final because he wanted to do well and then he gets to the final and just falls apart (not that he falls apart, but still) my point is that he gets so far in his head because he wants to do well that he psyches himself out.

I think he will get around this and find balance, but right now, I just hope he’s okay and recovers soon. Great post! 

• Plus1 1

Vedral had more rushing yards in that game than Mills, Washington, or Martinez.  

This is the aspect that surprised me.  I didn't assume he was a runner.  I'd like to see what he can get going with a gameplan developed around him and a week of practices with the first team.

Vedral and Robinson may very well be our best chance at a decent run game.

A couple of comments.  To Jurgens and his snaps, there was one where Martinez had to jump and reached sideways towards his right to grab the ball one handed.  The camera then showed DL perspective of a snap and Jurgens is moving out on his block prior to the ball leaving his hand.  As soon as the signal to snap is given, he starts the snap and move.  Unsure if this is the correct technique, but on that camera angle the ball was not going straight back.  I think he's amped up to get out of his stance and get the block so the snaps are errant.

On Noah, Frost gives him a lot of praise.

Coach Scott Frost saluted Vedral for his composure in the game’s final minute.

“He handled it great,” Frost said. “The long pass down the sideline to Wan’Dale that got us in field goal range was something that wasn’t even on the call sheet. So we are just kind of trying to adjust and get him in something that we thought would work based on the way they were rotating on that motion. He made a good throw. Wan’Dale made a good play.”

Frost said Vedral did some more freelancing on his final run that set up the ball in the middle of the field for McCallum.

“It was great to see him on that last play we called something that we hadn’t practiced, but I just wanted to get the ball in the middle of the field, and he knew that and understood it. He got some yards and got down. So, a lot of credit to Noah. I’m happy for him.”

IMHO, Noah is a baller.  He improvised when needed and got exactly what Frost and the team needed.  Be interesting going forward.  Regardless of the health of Martinez going forward, I would still give Noah a series or 2 to give DC's something to think about about as well as let the team get the message that "sometimes the best ability is dependability" (heard Tillman use that last night).  Also allow Martinez to better "see what is going on".

• Fire 1