***Official QB Controversy Thread***

1 hour ago, TheSker said:

Since McCaffrey will have two seasons of eligibility after Martinez' eligibility expires, I'd say you're a sharp cookie regarding the future.

You are assuming that I was hoping/wanting Martinez to stay at the helm until then.  We had the best QB play of the season Saturday, even with the same crappy team surrounding them.  Neither had the deer in the headlights look and were gamers.  Refreshing to finally see

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, 10_point_buck said:

You are assuming that I was hoping/wanting Martinez to stay at the helm until then.  We had the best QB play of the season Saturday, even with the same crappy team surrounding them.  Neither had the deer in the headlights look and were gamers.  Refreshing to finally see

Best QB play of the year? Did you watch the Illinois game? 

22/34 - 328 yards, 3 TD

18 carries 118 yards, 44 yard long, 6.5 avg

I'm not saying last night wasn't good, but there was nothing I saw that said McCaffrey is better than AM. He made one read and scrambled on the passes he attempted.

• Plus1 1

19 hours ago, 10_point_buck said:

What did you think of our QB play vs. Minnesota?

If Martinez had played and performed like Vedral did vs. MN (Vedral did fine, by the way), he would have gotten torched in this thread by board members. 

Martinez has been somewhat hesitant this year and I think it’s because he has more to lose (injury, hype, etc.). A backup QB can come in without fear of expectation or failure. 

Martinez is excellent and will hopefully find a good balance between taking necessary risks and protecting himself. This team has issues and QB play is not one of them, thankfully.

16 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Best QB play of the year? Did you watch the Illinois game? 

22/34 - 328 yards, 3 TD

18 carries 118 yards, 44 yard long, 6.5 avg

I'm not saying last night wasn't good, but there was nothing I saw that said McCaffrey is better than AM. He made one read and scrambled on the passes he attempted.

Didn't McCaffery complete a screen pass?  More than I can say for the other two 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, WyoHusker56 said:

You just said a screen pass originally, not a true RB screen. Also, does it have to be a middle screen because otherwise there's this example.

That was more a swing pass.  But yes i meant a rb middle screen.  And old fashion let everyone go, qb retreats and thows the RB who is waiting behind the O-line.  Martinez and Vedral both look like they have never attempted one when they did.  

21 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

That was more a swing pass.  But yes i meant a rb middle screen.  And old fashion let everyone go, qb retreats and thows the RB who is waiting behind the O-line.  Martinez and Vedral both look like they have never attempted one when they did.  

I think of it as more of a variation on a slip screen as everyone starts blocking immediately.

I think about 90% of our problem with middle screens isn't the QBs lack of ability to complete it, but our OLs inability to block it. Most middle screens I've seen AM is trying to avoid throwing an interception or get mugged because everyone free released way too early.

I also feel like a QBs ability to complete a middle screen is way down the list of skills for who is our best QB.

• Fire 1
7 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I think of it as more of a variation on a slip screen as everyone starts blocking immediately.

I think about 90% of our problem with middle screens isn't the QBs lack of ability to complete it, but our OLs inability to block it. Most middle screens I've seen AM is trying to avoid throwing an interception or get mugged because everyone free released way too early.

I also feel like a QBs ability to complete a middle screen is way down the list of skills for who is our best QB.

It should he number 1 with a crappy O-line. Keeps the D from pinning their ears back.  They should work really well because the defense cant tell the difference from other plays where they weren't blocked

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

It should he number 1 with a crappy O-line. Keeps the D from pinning their ears back.  They should work really well because the defense cant tell the difference from other plays where they weren't blocked

I agree that we need to be good at them, but we can't even block a screen properly. My point is that a defensive lineman is standing next to our RB on those screens forcing bad or less than ideal throws most of the time that I've seen.

• Plus1 1