***Official QB Controversy Thread***

6 minutes ago, ndobney said:

So you think our players are being developed well? Have you looked at our recruiting ranking vs Wisconsin and iowa vs the results on the field?

What does recruiting ranking got to do with developing players? We still have a long way to go on building the O-line, but you can see the improvement on defense from last year specifically in the secondary

• Plus1 1

Just now, krc1995 said:

Can you teach poise?  Because Vedral has ooddles more of it, but then he hasn't had to field 50% bad snaps OR played agaisnt OSU's #1's.  That changes a man 

Yeah that’s why I want him to start next week. It’s clear this season isn’t going anywhere great so let’s let AM get healthy for a week and see how the backup does when he is the man for the whole game. Although if he plays lights out next week we will have a full blown controversy as opposed to the murmurs we have right now

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Noah's athleticism surprised me.  Showed poise and made plays when it mattered.

If Martinez has to miss any amount of time does he have to earn the job back or is it automatically his despite the steep regression?

An injured starter gets his position back. After that, anyone's guess.

Not sure if their should be a controversy, but Martinez has been poor. What happened to vertical passing? Where are the explosive plays? 

Watching fields (OSU) right now and his ability to put balls in spots makes me jealous. OSU would be good without fields, but they are special because of him.

4 minutes ago, VizionNE said:

Not sure if their should be a controversy, but Martinez has been poor. What happened to vertical passing? Where are the explosive plays? 

Watching fields (OSU) right now and his ability to put balls in spots makes me jealous. OSU would be good without fields, but they are special because of him.

Let's trade O-lines with OSU and see what happens. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

In regards to these mysterious controversies, I'm as worried about a QB controversy as much as I am a RB controversy. You play the guy you think can do best.

So just a hypothetical scenario here. You said earlier that the starter gets his job back no matter what if he loses it to injury. Let’s say Vedral is lights out as the starter for the next two weeks and we win two blowouts. Do you still go back to the AM when he is healthy despite his bad play all season. Or do you go with the guy who has come in and done well?

Ive never liked the whole you can’t lose your starting job due to injury mantra. Especially when you can make the case that even without an injury it was maybe time for him to sit because of poor play

• Plus1 1

I've been saying it all season and I'll say it again. Cam Jurgens and the O-Line are not making it easy on Martinez but it's clear Martinez isn't the same, not even close. His reads are terrible, he runs timidly, he overthrows passes, and he holds onto the ball too long. I don't know what the issue is but pointing at the stats and saying "he has better stats then Tommy's best year" is not a good way of looking at it. A lot of those stats are boosted thanks to JD Spielman making insane catches or Mo/Wandale making insane runs off of screen passes/short passes. I say we start Vedral and if it's not going well then we put Martinez back in but our offense was actually moving with Vedral out there. Open up Adrian's Junior year with a QB competition and if he wins it back then so be it. As of right now I'm tired of all the excuses and he's done enough for me to say he's lost the job for the time being. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Just now, olddominionhusker said:

So just a hypothetical scenario here. You said earlier that the starter gets his job back no matter what if he loses it to injury. Let’s say Vedral is lights out as the starter for the next two weeks and we win two blowouts. Do you still go back to the AM when he is healthy despite his bad play all season. Or do you go with the guy who has come in and done well?

Ive never liked the whole you can’t lose your starting job due to injury mantra. Especially when you can make the case that even without an injury it was maybe time for him to sit because of poor play

I'm just assuming that Frost is an Osborne guy and that's the way it is. But if he comes back and stinks it up you might see the other guy finish the game.....that's my guess. We've never actually had that problem that I can remember. The better QB ,Joe Ganz, waiting too long to get in is the closest I can think of and that was under Callahan.

2 minutes ago, FearAmeer said:

I've been saying it all season and I'll say it again. Cam Jurgens and the O-Line are not making it easy on Martinez but it's clear Martinez isn't the same, not even close. His reads are terrible, he runs timidly, he overthrows passes, and he holds onto the ball too long. I don't know what the issue is but pointing at the stats and saying "he has better stats then Tommy's best year" is not a good way of looking at it. A lot of those stats are boosted thanks to JD Spielman making insane catches or Mo/Wandale making insane runs off of screen passes/short passes. I say we start Vedral and if it's not going well then we put Martinez back in but our offense was actually moving with Vedral out there. Open up Adrian's Junior year with a QB competition and if he wins it back then so be it. As of right now I'm tired of all the excuses and he's done enough for me to say he's lost the job for the time being. 

I'm being told that Frost and Vedral know each other well, but the play calling for Vedral looked like the safest garbage you would call for a freshman backup in his first game. Can anyone explain that? A bunch of QB runs??