***Official QB Controversy Thread***

6 minutes ago, 3rd and long said:

That’s essential what I said. Vedral is still unknown and we have to go with who the coaches believe is best (even if some may disagree). 

But with one one of the two in fact being an unknown then there is no way to say it’s obvious (to a fan who has not in fact seen Vedral) who is better.  And if he’s basing it off Vedral’s limited action yesterday it’s even more incorrect. Because neither was “obviously”better or worse than the other. 

Gotcha, misunderstood the point you were trying to make. 

• Fire 1
4 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

He's an unknown quantity to the fans. This is his 3rd year under Frost and he watches both players all week and offseason in practice. I think the coaches probably have a pretty feel for who should be the starter. 

Just like at center, right?

4 hours ago, SFW said:

Vedral  is better  because of his decisiveness.  He has suddenness.  Played with no fear.

AM is the playing scared.  He’s afraid to get hit.  That’s not Nebraska.

Vedral looks more “decisive” to fans because they are calling straight QB runs for him. He’s not reading anything, they are just telling him to run and get the most out of a play. That won’t work in the long run. 

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1

19 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Vedral looks more “decisive” to fans because they are calling straight QB runs for him. He’s not reading anything, they are just telling him to run and get the most out of a play. That won’t work in the long run. 

I agree with this...in my earlier post I brought up a play where AM escaped and hard more than enough yardage to get the 1st and some more but he kept looking down field, I recall the LB in the outside continuing to gain depth with the TE or WR (can't remember who) while eyeballing AM. Gotta wonder if opposing D is told to stay in coverage instead of coming up because they are seeing AM is far more tentative to tuck and run as opposed to last year. If AM would just take what they are giving with his legs it will then open up passes down field

While I am still in the camp of wanting to see a little more of Vedral, I will agree that the #1 problem

right now is the snap issue. The QB can’t make his reads properly if he has to actually watch where the snap is going first. The more I rewatch these games the more clear it becomes how badly this issue is hurting the offense. It should be the top priority of the coaches to sort this out

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
7 minutes ago, olddominionhusker said:

While I am still in the camp of wanting to see a little more of Vedral, I will agree that the #1 problem

right now is the snap issue. The QB can’t make his reads properly if he has to actually watch where the snap is going first. The more I rewatch these games the more clear it becomes how badly this issue is hurting the offense. It should be the top priority of the coaches to sort this out

Yes, but Frosty doesn’t want to even hear that especially after he hyped the kid up so much 

• Haha 1

Vedral just looked more comfortable when he came in. Adrian Martinez is playing timid...there is absolutely no question about that. I watched one of his games last year vs this year, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that there is something going on with him. He might have a mental block or he might be scared to get injured. Either way, he is not playing up to his potential. Now, having said that, it would be nice if we can see Martinez play when he can depend on the center to actually do what they are supposed to do and that is snap the damn ball correctly. Jurgens is definitely messing with Martinez mindset. Frost needs to admit that Jurgens is struggling and do something to fix this issue before it costs us more games.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
5 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

He's an unknown quantity to the fans. This is his 3rd year under Frost and he watches both players all week and offseason in practice. I think the coaches probably have a pretty feel for who should be the starter. 

I think it's more of a coach thing that they believe it's best to stick with one guy. Some coaches believe that, some don't. I still have no idea about Vedral but so far I've been pleasantly surprised by his ability. I thought he'd be another one of those fill in the roster guys and it's clear that he's a capable QB. Good for Frost getting him here.

27 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

Vedral just looked more comfortable when he came in. Adrian Martinez is playing timid...there is absolutely no question about that. I watched one of his games last year vs this year, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that there is something going on with him. He might have a mental block or he might be scared to get injured. Either way, he is not playing up to his potential. Now, having said that, it would be nice if we can see Martinez play when he can depend on the center to actually do what they are supposed to do and that is snap the damn ball correctly. Jurgens is definitely messing with Martinez mindset. Frost needs to admit that Jurgens is struggling and do something to fix this issue before it costs us more games.

The snap and probably the coaches warning him about throwing into these secondary traps. I'm sure they're tired of turnovers ruining our chances against teams that aren't that great. At the same time I'm thinking Martinez should just throw it away, another part of my brain is wondering how we're gonna win if nobody is ever open and he throws it away half the time? Add the blocking that's like a matador.

9 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Perhaps I'm in the minority here, but i thought Martinez played pretty well yesterday. If receivers catch balls that hit their hands, we probably win by 10-14. And that's in heavy winds against a stout, well coached defense. I find people bailing on AM to be insane. 

Martinez played fine yesterday. He made plenty of plays, and missed some (which all QBs will do), too. I was impressed by Northwestern’s defense. They kept everything in front of them, and made secure tackles.

As mentioned in another thread, the game plan by NU’s offense was to play more conservative, not give Northwestern a short field, and rely on the defense to do more of the heavy lifting in this game. Frost started calling deeper passes into the NW zone in the 2nd half, after relying on short, wide passes in the first half. Martinez hit Wandale on one pass, and missed Noa on the 2nd one. We don’t know if that would have continued to work well, because Martinez got injured.

There are definitely times where I want Adrian to just tuck it and run, but he’s also being taught to keep his eyes upfield as he breaks the pocket. That’s when big plays (see JD’s long TD pass against CU) can happen. Shoot, Martinez had a nifty pass to Austin Allen against NW while scrambling to his left.

Martinez is being asked to carry the offense. I think he leads QB’s in rushing carries, and is passing a lot, as well. The criticism he is receiving is mainly due to expectations of him being a little high this year. 

• Plus1 1