John o Neil

Full disclosure  I was watching the game on DVR and posted this thread like 5 minutes before the pi call that I will admit was a blown call.  However there was a call right before it that was bogus that went against nebraska.  I still stand by what I said that o Neil's crew suck donkey balls and screws Nebraska  most of the time.  

6 minutes ago, Fru said:

I’m a pretty firm believer that that you don’t get to complain if you put the game in the hands of the refs. Human element is part of the game.

So you didn’t complain one tiny bit after the NU-FSU 1994 Orange Bowl? The refs directly caused a 14 point swing against NU when they called a phantom clip on the Dixon punt return and missed the William Floyd fumble at the goal line.  I agree that human element is part of the game, but sometimes they do make calls which are blatantly missed and impact the outcome of the game. 

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

So you didn’t complain one tiny bit after the NU-FSU 1994 Orange Bowl? The refs directly caused a 14 point swing against NU when they called a phantom clip on the Dixon punt return and missed the William Floyd fumble at the goal line.  I agree that human element is part of the game, but sometimes they do make calls which are blatantly missed and impact the outcome of the game. 

Well I was 4 years old at the time, so no, I don’t think I complained too much. 

It sucks, but it happens. Settle the game On the field and take it out of their hands. Not to mention that NU had a chance to seal that game and they didn’t. That’s football. 

I don’t think there is a conspiracy or a secret “let’s hose nebraska” deal happening, but there are just some stretches of flat out bogus calls against Nebraska at very inopportune times and just inexplicable bad calls. The Michigan “safety.” The Purdue late hit last year. The multiple missed helmet-to-helmet to JD over the years, but the 2+ years of no offensive holding calls against Nebraska opponents is arguably the lightning rod of conspiracy theory. 

The no false start against OSU and then the flinch on the punt was called against NU? The PI against Cam T-B. Sometimes it appears they swallow the whistle against NU opponents and then eagerly throw flags against NU. 

We do get our share of calls to our advantage, like the interception yesterday, but I think it’s time Moos and the rest of the ADs publicly vocalize how bad the officiating is. These refs shouldn’t be protected the way they are, which is why I wish they shared audio feed of a review. 

8 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

I don’t think there is a conspiracy or a secret “let’s hose nebraska” deal happening

I don't either.

But objectively one has to admit it's curious that there were no holding calls against any of our conference opponents in a 21-game stretch from 2015 through 2018. Is that a sign of a conspiracy?

The Big Ten refs are terrible. It's literally one of the first things I was told to get used to in 2010 when I toured forums of other teams in our new conference. Nearly universally they said to expect to get screwed by bad calls. They all feel it's happening to them, too.

• Plus1 2

I don't think the Refs are out to screw anyone but I do think Refs are like parents...they say they don't have a favorite kid but everyone in the family knows it isn't true.

Just think if you were a ref...I know a lot of us posting here love to pretend we are perfect and lots of us here own more than a few high horses (I have 3 myself) but in the end you would make calls or not make calls based on 99% of what you saw happen during a play and 1% of what you thought/wanted to happen on a play.

On 10/6/2019 at 11:41 AM, broganreynik said:

That only applies before the ball is in the air... in the NFL. The five yard rule doesn’t exist in college football.

By either set of rules, it was pass interference.

I think the ball might have already been past the receiver when he was hit thus making it legal.  Although they missed the defensive holding on the back end of that same play.  

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Danimal said:

Annoyed about all the talk about how that PI should be reviewable. What about the several questionable calls/no-calls that went against us? If PI should be reviewed why not everything since any ref error could be the difference in the game? 

Amen! There were several bad calls in that game, against both teams. All of those influenced the game in some way. The PI at the end we know would've had a big influence, but fix the other calls and the game is in an entirely different place. I'm all for ways to help refs get it right on the field, not more replay in specific scenarios to arbitrarily clean up some missed calls and not others. 

• Plus1 1
On 10/6/2019 at 8:00 PM, KCBuc said:

Was the ball in the air when the contact occurred? 

Both players and the ball came together at the same time.   They didn't call it because it wasn't coverage and neither player attempted to make a play on the ball, so PI could have gone either against us or against them if it had been called.  

• Plus1 1
On 10/5/2019 at 10:41 PM, WildBillMoos said:

Remember when one of our safeties straight up trucked a Northwestern receiver running a slant while the ball was in the air, letting us pick it off? No call. Me too. 

Thank you for providing evidence to support the thesis that he's a ****ty ref.