Playcalling or execution?

2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Let's hope. I'm just tired of seeing Mills/Washington/Robinson being met in the backfield before they have a chance to take the hand off.

I feel you but in my opinion its already getting somewhat better than it was in game 1. Maybe some of that is Mills vision getting better but I feel like there are a few more holes last week than week 1

On the 3rd & longs yesterday where we ran the ball, what I said was that it was probably Frost just trying to minimize the possibility of throwing interceptions and play it safe because he knew NW wouldn't score many points if we just didn't turn the ball over.

Now I don't know this for sure, but either way it did wind up working out well for us.

I do feel like Adrian is still struggling a bit to see guys sometimes when they're open. Notice I said sometimes and not "all the time." I was also pretty disappointed in that throw to Kanawai in the second half that was low. He's got to shake some of this stuff off and hit guys when they're open. But all in all I am relatively pleased with his play.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
7 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

How many play on the lines for winning football teams?

You can do the research if you like, I’m certainly not going to. And possibly it would prove you correct and me incorrect, but I’m guessing it wouldn’t. There are a boatload of players coming out of high school right now that step right onto the field ready to go. 

So many of the high high school programs now are mirrors of the college programs. Kids are ready earlier. Most kids that are somewhat elite, and possibly pro caliber, don’t even make it to their senior year anymore. 

9 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

How many play on the lines for winning football teams?

Here are the lines of some of the top teams.

tOSU...Jr  Sr  So  So  Sr

Bama...Jr  Fr. Jr. Sr. Jr

Clem...So. Sr. Sr. Sr. Sr 

Okla...So.  So. So. Fr. So. 

LSU...Jr. Sr.  Jr.  Sr.  Jr.

Underclassmen are littered throughout the Olines of the top teams.  

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

Great data there - thanks for looking that up.

Would be interesting to know if those underclassmen there had redshirted. My guess is that most probably have. It makes a big difference when:

1. The recruit himself is a bigger, stronger, more talented guy to begin with.

2. You redshirt the guy and get two full years of lifting under his belt.

In that context, a redshirt sophomore is a different breed of animal.

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

Those 3 performed alright when they had Farmer and Foster playing along side them. I think as Jurgens gets better, so will the line.

I see now...you think we should stick with Jurgens at center and he'll get better at not hiking the ball over the QB's head much of the time. I hope you're right and this doesn't keep looking like Diaco covering 3rd down from 20 yards back. 

1 hour ago, Hayseed said:

I see now...you think we should stick with Jurgens at center and he'll get better at not hiking the ball over the QB's head much of the time. I hope you're right and this doesn't keep looking like Diaco covering 3rd down from 20 yards back. 

I don't think that we should stick with Jurgens, the coaches do. And I think if he improves so will the entire line

2 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

Fair enough thanks for that. 

11 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I don't think that we should stick with Jurgens, the coaches do. And I think if he improves so will the entire line

Fair enough thanks for that. 

Ok but also: how many of those underclassmen listed there are top 4 or 5 stars coming out of high school? 

I think maybe for Nebraska only Farniok was a 4 star? And maybe Jurgens too but that was as a TE. Really what I'm trying to say is that there's underclassmen and UNDERCLASSMEN and Nebraska is the former whilst that list is (most likely) chock full of the latter. To me it makes sense for us to go with the Wisconsin/Iowa oline model rather than try to out recruit those teams which imho is never really gonna happen.

• Plus1 2

6 hours ago, grandpasknee said:

It is lack of execution.  It is lack of depth of talent in most positions.  It is deficient S&C over the past 15 years.  It is coaching.

1.  If you are scrambling to put depth on the field, execution is going to suffer, pure and simple.

2.  If you have a lack of depth, then practices don't really hone the top players beyond where they are already at.  Hard to prepare for an all conference tackle when you are facing a second year 2 or 3 star.

3.  S&C doesn't fix things in a year or two.  It just doesn't.

4.  Scott has the brightest future of most any coach in the BIG, and I believe that. But he's in year 4 of head coaching.  Tom Osborn said he was a MUCH better coach in year 10 as a head coach than he was in year 5.

I'm not going to worry, fret or curse about any of these things for at least two more full seasons after this one.  And I feel if Scott can't turn it around, it won't get turned around.

My issue is expecting a RS FR converted TE or even a RS FR true center who was undersized... As well as a RS FR walk-on RG who often was wrestling immediately after football season to physically be ready to compete in the B10. It shows how underdeveloped the the upperclassmen are in a strength and conditioning aspect if they are being beat out. It also is correct in saying it’s not a 2 year overhaul process in the strength and conditioning department for these players. 

Our OL play was anchored greatly by upperclassman with 4-5 years of s&c, even if it wasn’t all with the improved staff.

This is what a lot of honest fans expected, a process which we all need to trust and not give up on. 

If we make a bowl game and even win said bowl game it’s still an improvement with a team littered with youngsters

• Thanks 2
4 hours ago, The Cornfather said:

Ok but also: how many of those underclassmen listed there are top 4 or 5 stars coming out of high school? 

I think maybe for Nebraska only Farniok was a 4 star? And maybe Jurgens too but that was as a TE. Really what I'm trying to say is that there's underclassmen and UNDERCLASSMEN and Nebraska is the former whilst that list is (most likely) chock full of the latter. To me it makes sense for us to go with the Wisconsin/Iowa oline model rather than try to out recruit those teams which imho is never really gonna happen.

That is a great point. Not a fair comparison when those programs are getting top 5 players at their position. Only a few players a year are ready to contribute on the O line right away.

• Thanks 1