Steven M. Sipple: Spare me the 'It's just Northwestern' talk

"Let's be real: In the eyes of many Nebraska fans, a loss would've represented the sky falling squarely on Memorial Stadium.

Meanwhile, too many folks will say of the triumph, "Meh, it's just Northwestern."

That sort of thinking is unfortunate and in many ways unfair. My God, I'd hate to live my life that way.

But welcome to life in a blue-blood program that's currently in a battle to regain past glory. Many fans want it now. This just in: Nebraska is a long way from contending for national crowns. This game was yet another reminder. There will be many reminders going forward this season and probably next season and for who knows how long. I say it all the time: Frost inherited a godawful mess from Mike Riley."

Noted strip club fiend doesn't want to hear criticism. 

• Plus1 3

The people saying a loss would be disastrous are the same people that are saying it's just Northwestern.

I think they're both wrong. Leading up to yesterday, Nebraska had won at home once, and it was on a hail mary. With the exception of 1 game, the games have always been close. 

Nebraska is not the only "big" team that Northwestern gives issues, either. 

Yeah, ugly win and there's some serious questions about the offense, namely the lack of a game breaking, tall WR. Noa has been largely a passenger in the offense. Stanley Morgan Jr was a bigger loss than we may have thought. 

But these are the games that must be won if Nebraska is going to make it's way back to where it wants to be. A 13-10 win is miles better than a 13-10 loss. 

• Plus1 6
4 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Do people forget NW won the West last season? 

Don’t forget, NW played with their back-up QB and have one of the worst (if not worst) offenses in the country.

Glad the Huskers won. O-line and QB play are killing this team though. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Don’t forget, NW played with their back-up QB and have one of the worst (if not worst) offenses in the country.

That worst offense in the country outscored Wisconsins offense last week. 

• Plus1 8
  • Fire 1

37 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

That worst offense in the country outscored Wisconsins offense last week. 

They had something like 132 yards heading into the 4th quarter down 24-3. What does your comment have to do with them having a terrible offense? That NW played great D? They had 255 yards and are statistically the 5th worst offense (292.8 ypg, they had 293 last night). 

Northwestern’s offense actually scored 29 points last week, but 14 of them were for the Badgers. 

I won’t dog their defense, but this offense couldn’t keep this team competitive if they tried. 

F898C6D3-E789-4A86-9511-3B90CF126E57.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Northwestern always torches us with their backup QB

• Plus1 3
14 minutes ago, Waldo said:

They had something like 132 yards heading into the 4th quarter down 24-3. What does your comment have to do with them having a terrible offense? That NW played great D? They had 255 yards and are statistically the 5th worth offense (292.8 ypg, they had 293 last night). 

Northwestern’s offense actually scored 29 points last week, but 14 of them were for the Badgers. 

I won’t dog their defense, but this offense couldn’t keep this team competitive if they tried. 

F898C6D3-E789-4A86-9511-3B90CF126E57.jpeg

Fair enough but as someone else pointed out, they've played some tough defenses this year. I'm happy we held them about the same as those other solid D's and got the win against a team thats good at making it ugly. Our defense did what they needed to.

• Plus1 1