Steven M. Sipple: Spare me the 'It's just Northwestern' talk

24 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Fair enough but as someone else pointed out, they've played some tough defenses this year. I'm happy we held them about the same as those other solid D's and got the win against a team thats good at making it ugly. Our defense did what they needed to.

Yep. 

There are positives to take from this win when you dig deeper. 

• Plus1 1

50 minutes ago, 10_point_buck said:

Funny how Sipple comes out now flaming Riley, easy to do when he is not the coach.  My question is, where is this tough stance when he was here coaching?  Sipple and all the rest of the media lobbed cupcakes at him.  

(Tons of people questioning the progress of Adrian Martinez and Jurgens, two people hand picked by Scott Frost)

Sipple: “Ah, But you see, Mike Riley”

It’s just lazy, hack writing that leads to toxicity. 

• Fire 1
22 minutes ago, hskrpwr13 said:

I'm kind of in both camps. I doubt many wins this year will look impressive either by final score or opponent, but I'll gladly take said wins. Bowl game would be great.

I'm with you. After the past "X" years, just win baby. I started the season believing the hype we'd look better. Never really thought winning the West.  We had back to back 4-8 seasons....  At this point, I want to go bowling.  I can see us going 7-5 or 8-4 overall. Really don't see us beating Wisky or Iowa at this point.  The remaining 4 are not gimmes either.....

3 hours ago, CapoValley said:

(Tons of people questioning the progress of Adrian Martinez and Jurgens, two people hand picked by Scott Frost)

Sipple: “Ah, But you see, Mike Riley”

It’s just lazy, hack writing that leads to toxicity. 

And it couldn't be more accurate.

Mike Riley was a godawful recruiter, coach and leader of the Husker football program.

Godawful might be a lenient term.

• Thanks 1

I know people want to criticize Martinez and some of it is warranted. But not all of it. Nebraska's offensive line play is pretty bad... just really poor... that really needs to be emphasized and a huge part of that is because of Mike Riley's mismanagement of recruiting and developing this position group. My hope is Frost emphasizes this group as a #1 priority. I think he has we the recruits he's brought in these last year and currently this year. But they're young obviously. 

I fully expect to see improvement in o-line play over the next couple years with progressively getting better each year. It will be a huge disappointment if I don't.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, TheSker said:

And it couldn't be more accurate.

Mike Riley was a godawful recruiter, coach and leader of the Husker football program.

Godawful might be a lenient term.

Mike Riley was by no means a success here, but I guess I’d like you to tell me why he’s behind the two biggest problems on this team, Adrian Martinez, his regression and the errant snaps. 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1