We're finally winning some of the close ones

I'm unhappy as anyone else about how we're playing this season at times. We're very inconsistent and there are several things that are glaringly wrong with the Huskers this year. I realized last night though that last year we lost a bunch of close games. We couldn't seem to put the games away in the end and have a few things go our way. This season though we're finally starting to win the close ones. Yeah we lost a close one in Colorado, but that game should've never ended that way. Illinois, close game and we pull it out, Northwestern, close game and we pull it out! I don't hope we're in a bunch of tight games from here on out mainly because my stress level goes through the roof and the older I get the less I can deal with that! :lol: But if we are it seems like we'll scratch and claw for the W and that's a step in the right direction this season. :thumbs 

• Plus1 6

Tired of the close games, some of them should of been 2 or 3 touchdown wins if this team plays like it should or at least plays like it was advertised.  AM going down i hope is the best thing for him, he needs to sit and figure some things out.  Frost needs to stop towing that line that Adrian is just fine because hes not.  There has to be something the center is missing to always have a snapping problem.  Any team can win on any given saturday but nothing so far this season has lead me to believe that every game is going to be a dogfight.  

• Fire 1

A definite step in the right direction. It’s just what this team needed.  I can’t remember the last time we won a close game.  

News flash our team isn’t good enough to beat anyone in blowout fashion.   

We we need to learn to walk before we run.

• Plus1 4

I've had a hard time being optimistic this season - seeing things like the bad center snaps, the kicking problems, the struggles to move the ball, etc.

I thought I'd try to take a look at how things have gone.  2 years ago at this point (6 games into Riley's last season), Nebraska was 3-3. Then the bottom fell out.  Whether the team gave up, Riley gave up, or whatever (its already been hashed to death), the impact of that horrible last 1/2 of the season seemed to have a huge impact into 2018 and maybe even still a little this season.  I think most of the "give up" attitude was addressed by Frost through 2018, and the issue this year has more to do with depth, inexperience (the O-line) and mental mistakes.  Maybe the players are pressing too much at times.

Anyway, over the last 24 games, there is a stark contrast:

Last 6 games under Riley, First 6 games under Frost: record of 1-11, avg score was 23.5-42.3. 

Last 12 games under Frost: record of 8-4, avg score of 32.7-25.3

So that is an improvement of +9.2 ppg on offense, +17 ppg on defense.

Granted the quality of opponents they've beaten hasn't been all that high.  Probably Mich St last year was maybe the best(?), but at least Frost is generally beating the poor to mediocre teams over the last 12, once the team started getting some experience with both his offensive and defensive philosophy.  I'd say roughly their record is 7-1 against poor to mediocre (the loss being to Colorado, who is currently 3-2), and 1-3 against good to great teams (MSU, Iowa, and Ohio State (twice)).

Other than the loss this season to Ohio State, the other losses have been competitive.

Hopefully they can keep it up against the poor to mediocre teams left this season (Indiana, Purdue, Maryland) and at least compete with Wisconsin and Iowa.  I'm not sure where to put Minnesota yet - as good or mediocre.  They are undefeated, but have played a very weak schedule.  Nebraska will probably be the best team they have faced so far this season.  After yesterday, perhaps Iowa can be moved out of the good down to mediocre category, but not ready to do that quite yet.

I think what people probably want to see is a team that doesn't look totally out of it against great teams.  Yesterday was important to not lose to a poor team - yeah the win was ugly, but it was a win. 

So is everything sunshine and rainbows?  Of course not - but I think there was been progress. It is hard to see during the games when yet another snap makes the QB jump like he's going for a rebound, but I think there is cause for optimism.

• Plus1 7
50 minutes ago, SFW said:

A definite step in the right direction. It’s just what this team needed.  I can’t remember the last time we won a close game.  

News flash our team isn’t good enough to beat anyone in blowout fashion.   

We we need to learn to walk before we run.

Wouldn't the Illinois game 2 weeks ago qualify as a close game?

2 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

Tired of the close games, some of them should of been 2 or 3 touchdown wins if this team plays like it should or at least plays like it was advertised.  AM going down i hope is the best thing for him, he needs to sit and figure some things out.  Frost needs to stop towing that line that Adrian is just fine because hes not.  There has to be something the center is missing to always have a snapping problem.  Any team can win on any given saturday but nothing so far this season has lead me to believe that every game is going to be a dogfight.  

If you take out drops he would've been 17-20 passing and we would've run away with the game. Drops, penalties, and a stout run defense were the issues we had. He still needs to remember when it's 3rd down to just run for the first, but he did not play poorly. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

8 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I can agree with this tweet. 

It's funny how our perceptions change. 

In early 2015 we all collectively felt pretty sure that any mediocre monkey could coach our program to a decent handful of wins and that wasn't anything impressive. The thought was that if Bo and his underqualified ragtag staff could string seven 9 win seasons in a row together, how hard must it actually be? 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 2
9 hours ago, Rochelobe said:

I've had a hard time being optimistic this season - seeing things like the bad center snaps, the kicking problems, the struggles to move the ball, etc.

I thought I'd try to take a look at how things have gone.  2 years ago at this point (6 games into Riley's last season), Nebraska was 3-3. Then the bottom fell out.  Whether the team gave up, Riley gave up, or whatever (its already been hashed to death), the impact of that horrible last 1/2 of the season seemed to have a huge impact into 2018 and maybe even still a little this season.  I think most of the "give up" attitude was addressed by Frost through 2018, and the issue this year has more to do with depth, inexperience (the O-line) and mental mistakes.  Maybe the players are pressing too much at times.

Anyway, over the last 24 games, there is a stark contrast:

Last 6 games under Riley, First 6 games under Frost: record of 1-11, avg score was 23.5-42.3. 

Last 12 games under Frost: record of 8-4, avg score of 32.7-25.3

So that is an improvement of +9.2 ppg on offense, +17 ppg on defense.

Granted the quality of opponents they've beaten hasn't been all that high.  Probably Mich St last year was maybe the best(?), but at least Frost is generally beating the poor to mediocre teams over the last 12, once the team started getting some experience with both his offensive and defensive philosophy.  I'd say roughly their record is 7-1 against poor to mediocre (the loss being to Colorado, who is currently 3-2), and 1-3 against good to great teams (MSU, Iowa, and Ohio State (twice)).

Other than the loss this season to Ohio State, the other losses have been competitive.

Hopefully they can keep it up against the poor to mediocre teams left this season (Indiana, Purdue, Maryland) and at least compete with Wisconsin and Iowa.  I'm not sure where to put Minnesota yet - as good or mediocre.  They are undefeated, but have played a very weak schedule.  Nebraska will probably be the best team they have faced so far this season.  After yesterday, perhaps Iowa can be moved out of the good down to mediocre category, but not ready to do that quite yet.

I think what people probably want to see is a team that doesn't look totally out of it against great teams.  Yesterday was important to not lose to a poor team - yeah the win was ugly, but it was a win. 

So is everything sunshine and rainbows?  Of course not - but I think there was been progress. It is hard to see during the games when yet another snap makes the QB jump like he's going for a rebound, but I think there is cause for optimism.

Shhhhh dont post logical data there is a group on this board that wont look at it and just want coaches fired and for us to win the natty right away

• Haha 2
7 minutes ago, Landlord said:

It's funny how our perceptions change. 

In early 2015 we all collectively felt pretty sure that any mediocre monkey could coach our program to a decent handful of wins and that wasn't anything impressive. The thought was that if Bo and his underqualified ragtag staff could string seven 9 win seasons in a row together, how hard must it actually be? 

The only problem with your post is the bold. 

• Fire 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The only problem with your post is the bold. 

It's just a general statement. Obviously opinions did and will vary. But there was certainly a widespread sentiment that it must not be too hard to maintain a ho hum 9 wins a year baseline. And maybe not even an unreasonable one. Sports are weird and unpredictable.

This is excruciating to watch but will just be that much more enjoyable if we stay patient, roll with the knockout punches from the big boys, and then just lay then to waste in 7-10 years from now (or sooner) and run the league. 

I’ve accepted that this is a developmental year - not yanking Cam or sitting AM for a series or two. I have to get over being upset after an ugly win, these kids are busting their butts out there and just be grateful and take nothing for granted - like @Landlord touches on. 

Two things I’ll criticize. Coaching needs to be more aggressive in playcalling - I thought they should have attempted for the first down instead of the missed FG and the CU second half. Per the players, they lack true leadership who will call each other out to step their game up, they’re too nice to each other.

• Plus1 1