Receivers?

Are some of our problems on offense a lack of capable receivers outside of JD and Wandale? It looks like the staff doesn't trust too many of the receivers and we have a bunch of busts there. I know we were thin bc Keith Williams couldn't close many recruits but we have brought in a bunch of guys, it's hard to believe none of them are capable of being serviceable.

1 minute ago, Salsa Red said:

Are some of our problems on offense a lack of capable receivers outside of JD and Wandale? It looks like the staff doesn't trust too many of the receivers and we have a bunch of busts there. I know we were thin bc Keith Williams couldn't close many recruits but we have brought in a bunch of guys, it's hard to believe none of them are capable of being serviceable.

Yes, outside of those two I don't think guys are consistently getting open. 

Just now, Salsa Red said:

I would assume if they were ready to be out there, they would be. Pray we land Manning, the JUCO WR. He would add some legitimacy to the room pretty quick, I think.

8 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I haven't been to a game so it's kinda hard to tell because they're usually off screen; are the WR not getting open or is Martinez not finding them?

Its a little of both.  I have seen them run half-assed routes and I have seen them burn the DBs.  

When we do run good routes and get open,  AM doesnt see them. 

AM needs to get through his reads a little faster and it would cure a lot. 

Underneath routed have been open the majority of the year.  Williams yesterday and Noa a bunch this year on the 10-15 crossing/drag have been there.  Not sure what the staff wants as far as AM’s reads on plays but a lot of times it seems to be JD then Wandale then hit the oh s#!t button and try to improvise for AM.  Those first two definitely aren’t bad options but play design have opened other opportunities that AM has missed.

Also key in this whole thing is you have a career slot guy playing on the outside out of necessity.  Noa gets railed by many, but outside is not his game.  Unfortunately NU has about five slot guys as their best receiving options

• Plus1 2

Our WR's are absolute garbage at getting off their breaks at the LOS. That along with the snap issues mean that even when they are open, they usually aren't open in the place or time where the QB expects them to be. That's "ok" if your QB has time to stand in the pocket and assess the field, not so much when your QB is chasing snaps and running for his life 2 seconds into his clock. 

Also I've noticed a lot of the times they are running terrible routes across the field. You need to run a flat route to give the QB a good target to throw to. To often our WR's run rounded routes meaning the QB is much more likely to throw behind or over the top of the WR. - one notable instance of this is the first INT of the OSU game. Wandale was rounding his route badly and the ball ended up being behind him where the defender could jump the route. If he's flat on that route he gets the ball in his hands and the defender can't do anything about it.

• Plus1 1

It seemed like they were rotating some guys in there early that usually dont play much but i dont remember any of them getting the ball. You would think when your oc/wr coach is a former biletnikoff winner he would know how to get some of the young guys involved. I don't expect them to know the playbook cover to cover but a couple of young guys being able to execute a couple of plays well isn't a lot to expect. Losing that guy that got suspended probably didn't help either.

7 hours ago, Salsa Red said:

I find that hard to believe as well. I'm guessing they're spending a lot of time fixing things and they don't have enough time to teach everyone. But some of these guys have been here a long time. Are there really a bunch of football recruits who can't run a pattern and catch a pass? Is it that we're heavy on sideways and backfield plays that take great timing? Are they unable to jump ten feet high? I don't know.

3 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

It seemed like they were rotating some guys in there early that usually dont play much but i dont remember any of them getting the ball. You would think when your oc/wr coach is a former biletnikoff winner he would know how to get some of the young guys involved. I don't expect them to know the playbook cover to cover but a couple of young guys being able to execute a couple of plays well isn't a lot to expect. Losing that guy that got suspended probably didn't help either.

You are answering your own question. Frost and  Walters want to be able to use guys without substituting. That enables NU to play fast, and doesn’t allow the defense to sub in players. Frost wants to be able to call any okay, regardless of who is on the field. If a receiver only knows a “package” of plays, it limits his effectiveness in this offense.