8-4

Okay, anyone who can read knows the OP was talking about our last 12 games.  8-4.  Got it.  But there's not much conversation about that topic.  So rather than starting a new thread entitled "8-4 This Year" let's discuss it here.  

--------------------------------------  

After narrow wins over Illinois and NW, and the tOSU blowout, these next two games don't look like the automatic wins they seemed to be two months ago.  At this point I'd say we could beat any team remaining on our schedule.  Or we could lose to any of those teams.  I'd rank the difficulty of our remaining games like this:  

Wisconsin (H)

Iowa (H)

Indiana (H)

Minnesota (A)

Maryland (A)

Purdue (A)

Will we win all six?  Probably not.  But it bodes well that our three toughest games are in Lincoln.  If we could win four I'd be pleased as punch.  I'd also be surprised.  We have issues.  Injuries, special teams, kicking game, centering the ball, penalties, turnovers (except NW!).  I think it's more likely that we go .500 on the remaining six.  That'd put us at 7-5 on the season, with 8-4 being a real possibility.  

• Plus1 1

Considering how the 2nd half of the season played out up to so far this season, 8-4 is a good start. 

as far as the 2019 Season goes, this is a team who could go 9-3.  That might be a stretch, but there was something pretty special in their eyes at the end of the Northwestern game.  It wasn't pretty but they overcame adversity, and ground out a win. 

2 hours ago, NUance said:

Okay, anyone who can read knows the OP was talking about our last 12 games.  8-4.  Got it.  But there's not much conversation about that topic.  So rather than starting a new thread entitled "8-4 This Year" let's discuss it here.  

After narrow wins over Illinois and NW, and the tOSU blowout, these next two games don't look like the automatic wins they seemed to be two months ago.  At this point I'd say we could beat any team remaining on our schedule.  Or we could lose to any of those teams.  I'd rank the difficulty of our remaining games like this:  

Wisconsin (H)

Iowa (H)

Indiana (H)

Minnesota (A)

Maryland (A)

Purdue (A)

Will we win all six?  Probably not.  But it bodes well that our three toughest games are in Lincoln.  If we could win four I'd be pleased as punch.  I'd also be surprised.  We have issues.  Injuries, special teams, kicking game, centering the ball, penalties, turnovers (except NW!).  I think it's more likely that we go .500 on the remaining six.  That'd put us at 7-5 on the season, with 8-4 being a real possibility.  

Minny should probably be 2A...

it will be tougher to beat them at their home than Indiana at our home

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, NUance said:

Wisconsin (H)

Iowa (H)

Indiana (H)

Minnesota (A)

Maryland (A)

Purdue (A)?

Thank goodness for these upcoming bye weeks (although it doesn't help against Minny).  I think NU is going to go score 31+ in the bolded games to pull out those Ws.  Pennix at IU is starting to put stuff together and they run enough zone read stuff with some decent WRs that NU always seems to struggle against.  Minnesota might have the best collection of skill position talent outside of Ohio State and they fact that Fleck is their HC will make me 10x sicker if Nebraska can't pull it out.  Maryland seems to be a lot like NU in that their offense seems to be entirely predicated on big plays and they are wholly incapable of stringing together drives but they have some stud skill folks.  Purdue...who knows...all predicated on Sindelar and Moore being healthy.  They looked completely lost against Penn State on Saturday.

Wisconsin/Iowa are in totally different leagues and I'd rather kinda wait and see how the next few games go.

Coaches are going to be earning their paychecks especially on defense if the offense is banged up over the next month.

Let's look at who we've beaten during this hot streak.

'18 Minnesota - finished 7-6
'18 Bethune Cookman - FCS team that finished 7-5
'18 Illinois - finished 4-8
'18 Michigan State - finished 7-6
'19 South Alabama - currently 1-5
'19 Northern Illinois - currently 1-4
'19 Illinois - currently 2-3
'19 Northwestern - currently 1-4

Combined records of the last 8 victims of Nebraska football: 30-41. Baby steps and all but that’s not exactly a squad of juggernauts 

• Plus1 2

Maybe the most important thing over the last 12 game stretch is that this team is 11 points from being 11-1:

OSU - 5

Iowa - 3

The team out west - 3

We’re 3 points from being 5-1 this year. Here’s my prediction going forward:

Minnesota:  NEB 49 Minnesota 38.

Minn has barely won most of the games they’ve played. They are the only team in B1G with an easier schedule than the Huskers. Huskers will have 2 turnovers and that will be the only reason this is close.

Indiana: NEB 35 Indiana 31

A healthier Huskers team after a bye week will come in to challenge an improved IU team from last season. It will be close, with both teams having a chance to win at the end of the game. The rest week for NEB will be the difference.

Purdue: NEB 52 Purdue 31

Purdue is beat up and they have 3 more games before they play the Huskers. Two of those games will be barn burners. They’re going to be tired. 

Wisconsin: NEB 28 Wisconsin 24

Wisconsin plays 4 games, with only Illinois being a lock for a win. They play Mich St, OSU and Iowa. They will be beat up and exhausted. They will also lose two of those 4 games. This battle will be hyped as the battle for potential B1G west champion. Blood will be in the water. A well rested NEB (after another bye week) gets the win.

Maryland: NEB 35 Maryland 34

This is the game that worries me most. Maryland will be coming off back to back losses to Mich and OSU, but they’ll be rested after their bye week. This is a “Trap” game.

Iowa:  NEB 42 Iowa 17

As it should be, to win the west at home by crushing the throats of the most overrated team in all of college football. 

B1G Championship game: OSU 35 NEB 21

We’re not there yet, but we keep this one closer than the first one.

Bowl Game W and Huskers finish 11-3. God help us all

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ZMagers22 said:

Maybe the most important thing over the last 12 game stretch is that this team is 11 points from being 11-1:

OSU - 5

Iowa - 3

The team out west - 3

We’re 3 points from being 5-1 this year. Here’s my prediction going forward:

Minnesota:  NEB 49 Minnesota 38.

Minn has barely won most of the games they’ve played. They are the only team in B1G with an easier schedule than the Huskers. Huskers will have 2 turnovers and that will be the only reason this is close.

Indiana: NEB 35 Indiana 31

A healthier Huskers team after a bye week will come in to challenge an improved IU team from last season. It will be close, with both teams having a chance to win at the end of the game. The rest week for NEB will be the difference.

Purdue: NEB 52 Purdue 31

Purdue is beat up and they have 3 more games before they play the Huskers. Two of those games will be barn burners. They’re going to be tired. 

Wisconsin: NEB 28 Wisconsin 24

Wisconsin plays 4 games, with only Illinois being a lock for a win. They play Mich St, OSU and Iowa. They will be beat up and exhausted. They will also lose two of those 4 games. This battle will be hyped as the battle for potential B1G west champion. Blood will be in the water. A well rested NEB (after another bye week) gets the win.

Maryland: NEB 35 Maryland 34

This is the game that worries me most. Maryland will be coming off back to back losses to Mich and OSU, but they’ll be rested after their bye week. This is a “Trap” game.

Iowa:  NEB 42 Iowa 17

As it should be, to win the west at home by crushing the throats of the most overrated team in all of college football. 

B1G Championship game: OSU 35 NEB 21

We’re not there yet, but we keep this one closer than the first one.

Bowl Game W and Huskers finish 11-3. God help us all

Wow, our offense really flips a switch next week huh? I'm optimistic, but I don't know if I'm that optimistic

• Haha 1