8-4

47 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I was just trying to stick to the thread: how we measure progress.

I'm still seeing too much regression for my taste. Could have sworn that was the general perception of even loyal Husker fans. Let's not pretend expectations weren't pretty high.  

No idea how or why you jumped to "throw everything out at the earliest moment." 

Regression is a strong word for 4 wins in 6 games after being "historically" bad last year at 0-6.

......with acknowledgement that you are saying for your taste.

Expectations are still high.

I like that we are still competitive and maintaining redshirts.  That's going to help us tremendously in the long run.

I'm personally very excited to see what the McCaffrey years bring, especially with the OL recruiting that is happening.

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Why Adrian Martinez increasingly stares down his primary receiver and has become the interception and fumble threat that Taylor Martinez and Tommy Armstrong once were?  Why Adrian hesitates to run when everyone in the stadium and on TV sees a first down there for the taking? Yes. I really don't understand what has happened to Adrians instincts and decision making, and that's coming from all quarters. 

Of course I see where you're going. The offensive line. Not great, but it's the same offensive line that let us put up 700 yards against Illinois, and came out firing on all cylinders in the first half against Colorado,  Dedrick Mills and Maurice Washington average 5.1 and 6.3 yards a carry respectively. The offensive line operates under a fairly large playbook and have been pretty good at the edges, yet play-calling keeps sending our small speedy backs up the middle, where this line is at its weakest.

It's no mystery that a freshman center with wildly high snaps would hurt your offense. But it is a mystery why he's still doing this six games into the season.  

I still think Mo Washington is the real deal, Wan'dale is a revelation, Spielman is as tough and dependable as they come, Jack Stoll is a prototypical Husker tight end, and Noa, Warner, and the others have earned more touches.  Stanley Morgan was a senior, and seniors graduate. Devine Ozigbo was a Riley leftover who started the season behind three other more favored backs and stepped up his game to earn the playing time. We miss them, but to think they were irreplaceable pieces of this offense isn't fair to the talent we have. 

Obviously we have some talent and playcalling issues. Most teams do. But the part where I'm not seeing progress is attitude. This team comes out the second half looking lifeless, no real adjustments made, no killer instinct, and even looking kinda lost. Honestly feels like a step back to me. Don't know what else to say other than six more games will tell a better story.

I will agree that some of the play calling has been suspect this year.  

I think they have worked the swagger out of Martinez.  I feel like he Is thinking too much and not being an athlete. They want their quarterback to be a distributor of the ball and I think he is working too hard at being that.  

The o-line is not as good, but that shouldn’t be causing his hesitation. Be decisive and go with it. The thing that everyone liked when vedral came in the game was he made a decision and went with it. Quit trying to make the best choice all the time and make a choice. 

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I was just trying to stick to the thread: how we measure progress.

I'm still seeing too much regression for my taste. Could have sworn that was the general perception of even loyal Husker fans. Let's not pretend expectations weren't pretty high.  

No idea how or why you jumped to "throw everything out at the earliest moment." 

Because, progress is a process. 

Bo, this year isn’t going as most of us expected. But, instead of throwing our hands up in a huff, his about trying to look at reality and seeing why it’s happening. 

maybe you’ll realize you will still see progress even though it doesn’t look like you expected. 

I guess it makes sense that the loss of some upperclassmen offensive linemen and our top receiving and running threats is hurting the offense.

Or at least it would, if we didn't hear so much about how Riley's players never lifted weights and the guys in the program now have been grueling under super duper amazing strength and conditioning for two years now. I guess I'm just not seeing much in the way of results in that front, except for Martinez being bigger and slower and unable to get the edge.

• Fire 1

58 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I guess it makes sense that the loss of some upperclassmen offensive linemen and our top receiving and running threats is hurting the offense.

Or at least it would, if we didn't hear so much about how Riley's players never lifted weights and the guys in the program now have been grueling under super duper amazing strength and conditioning for two years now. I guess I'm just not seeing much in the way of results in that front, except for Martinez being bigger and slower and unable to get the edge.

You don't think Devine Ozigbo was any different under Frost versus under Riley?

The way Frost had to flip the roster, there aren't that many players that have had time to benefit from the "super duper amazing" time in the s&c program.

Posts like this show no concept of what it really takes to take this program from the crap place Riley had it at to where it needs to go.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, TheSker said:

You think Devine Ozigbo was any different under Frost versus under Riley?

The way Frost had to flip the roster, there aren't that many players that have had time to benefit from the "super duper amazing" time in the s&c program.

Posts like this show no concept of what it really takes to take this program from the crap place Riley had it at to where it needs to go.

That's because people are slowly no longer buying into the propaganda.  Three years ago under Riley this week, this program was ranked #10 in the country.  This week, we're an 8 point dog to Minnesota.  Minnnesota!  Watching our o-line get pushed around by Southern Alabama has had a sobering effect on people who bought into the weightlifting BS pushed by Frost these past two years.

• Fire 1
2 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

That's because people are slowly no longer buying into the propaganda.  Three years ago under Riley this week, this program was ranked #10 in the country.  This week, we're an 8 point dog to Minnesota.  Minnnesota!  Watching our o-line get pushed around by Southern Alabama has had a sobering effect on people who bought into the weightlifting BS pushed by Frost these past two years.

Funny stuff.

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Admittedly I have no idea what it really takes. I'm not a football coach, and certainly not a football coach at a school with massive resources and expectations in a small fishbowl and rabid fanbase desperate to return to where it was. So yeah, I've got no idea what all is really involved.

But what I do know is that I've seen transcendent coaches take over programs in similar crap/cancerous/toxic/worthless/blah blah/the worst you could possibly imagine places and turn them around very quickly. I've seen far, far fewer coaches take over something like that, take at least two years to show a little bit of progress, and then eventually later get that team to a consistently dominant/top 10-15 level. 

Stoops took a team with seven losing seasons in a row and won a natty in year two. Carroll took over a team with 5-6 win seasons for several years and got to 11 wins and a conference crown in year two. Saban took over an LSU team with 7 wins in the previous two seasons combined and was SEC champs in year two, national champs in year four. Then he took over a Bama squad who was similarly pretty awful and got them to #1 in year two. 

Don't hear me wrong, I think Frost is our guy and I'm fine with being patient and enjoying the road. All I'm saying is that generally speaking the data and the examples we have don't paint the most optimistic picture of coaches that struggle this much to start eventually getting to the place we all want and think we need to get to eventually. Then again, none of those places are Nebraska, and I guess if nothing else we've seen that we are somewhat of an anomaly when it comes to comparison to other programs, which makes it hard to gauge. Which, just adds to the frustration of not having any answers :lol:

5 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Admittedly I have no idea what it really takes. I'm not a football coach, and certainly not a football coach at a school with massive resources and expectations in a small fishbowl and rabid fanbase desperate to return to where it was. So yeah, I've got no idea what all is really involved.

But what I do know is that I've seen transcendent coaches take over programs in similar crap/cancerous/toxic/worthless/blah blah/the worst you could possibly imagine places and turn them around very quickly. I've seen far, far fewer coaches take over something like that, take at least two years to show a little bit of progress, and then eventually later get that team to a consistently dominant/top 10-15 level. 

Stoops took a team with seven losing seasons in a row and won a natty in year two. Carroll took over a team with 5-6 win seasons for several years and got to 11 wins and a conference crown in year two. Saban took over an LSU team with 7 wins in the previous two seasons combined and was SEC champs in year two, national champs in year four. Then he took over a Bama squad who was similarly pretty awful and got them to #1 in year two. 

Don't hear me wrong, I think Frost is our guy and I'm fine with being patient and enjoying the road. All I'm saying is that generally speaking the data and the examples we have don't paint the most optimistic picture of coaches that struggle this much to start eventually getting to the place we all want and think we need to get to eventually. Then again, none of those places are Nebraska, and I guess if nothing else we've seen that we are somewhat of an anomaly when it comes to comparison to other programs, which makes it hard to gauge. Which, just adds to the frustration of not having any answers :lol:

I only read the first three paragraphs, and you sir, are clearly out on Scott Frost! BOLD!;)

A little perspective on turnarounds:

Clemson went 6-7 in 2010. From 2008-2010 they were only 22-18. In 2011 they went 10-4 (their first season with 10 wins since 1990). They’ve been double digits in wins ever since and were 15-0 National Champions in 2018.

Not everybody can be Clemson, but it is worth remembering they were nothing super special at the start of this decade. It also took them EIGHT double-digit win seasons before they finally achieved their 15-0 National Championship season.

Irrelevant to Nebraska? Maybe, but I feel that fans’ expectations are perhaps a little overblown because of the UCF turnaround he orchestrated. Expecting the same timeframe on the bigger stage of the B1G is a wee bit unrealistic. Frost is a smart guy, but he’s still learning too.

• Plus1 1
Just now, cheekygeek said:

A little perspective on turnarounds:

Clemson went 6-7 in 2010. From 2008-2010 they were only 22-18. In 2011 they went 10-4 (their first season with 10 wins since 1990). They’ve been double digits in wins ever since and were 15-0 National Champions in 2018.

Not everybody can be Clemson, but it is worth remembering they were nothing super special at the start of this decade. It also took them EIGHT double-digit win seasons before they finally achieved their 15-0 National Championship season.

Irrelevant to Nebraska? Maybe, but I feel that fans’ expectations are perhaps a little overblown because of the UCF turnaround he orchestrated. Expecting the same timeframe on the bigger stage of the B1G is a wee bit unrealistic. Frost is a smart guy, but he’s still learning too.

Clemson is.....probably the ONLY shining example of a road paved to the promised land that we could follow. They're as much of an anomaly as we are, but actually even moreso because somehow they climbed to the top. We're an anomaly in a lot of ways, but one way that we're not is that...well, we suck :lol: 

You're right not everybody can be Clemson. Honestly, nobody else ever has been as far as I can recall.

1 hour ago, southernoregonhusker said:

That's because people are slowly no longer buying into the propaganda.  Three years ago under Riley this week, this program was ranked #10 in the country. 

If you believe that was actually the #10 team in the country I have some ocean front property for you...

• Plus1 3