8-4

42 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Clemson is.....probably the ONLY shining example of a road paved to the promised land that we could follow. They're as much of an anomaly as we are, but actually even moreso because somehow they climbed to the top. We're an anomaly in a lot of ways, but one way that we're not is that...well, we suck :lol: 

You're right not everybody can be Clemson. Honestly, nobody else ever has been as far as I can recall.

Pelini totally took down Dabo

From there the paths diverge 

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

No it won’t. 

it will just be the next chapter to discuss. 

It would be pretty hard to argue against the folks saying there has been some regression this year if you go to Minnesota and lose by 4 touchdowns. Considering we pounded them by 25 last year. Thats what I am saying. 

20 hours ago, Mavric said:

I think there is noticeable forward progress, just not as much as everyone would like.  And not in all areas.  But the couple areas that we've taken a step back are well outweighed by the progress we've made in other areas, imo.  It's just that the bad things tend to stand out more, especially when you lose games.

Category - 2017 - 2018 - 2019

Scoring O - 25.8 - 30.0 - 28.7

Total O - 385 - 456 - 415

Rushing O - 107 - 209 - 196

Passing O - 277 - 247 -  219

3rd Down % - 37.6 - 37.2 - 41.0

Scoring D - 36.4 - 31.3 - 26.5

Total D - 436 - 433 - 383

Rushing D - 214 - 195 - 165

Passing D - 221 - 237 - 218

Tackles for Loss / game - 3.7 - 5.3 - 7.8

Sacks / game - 1.2 - 2.1 - 2.7

Passes defended / game - 3.1 - 5.8 - 6.3

Opponent 3rd Down % - 43.1 - 43.2 - 35.8

Turnovers Gained / game - 1.0 - 1.7 - 1.8

Turnovers Lost / game - 1.6 - 1.8 - 1.2

Penalty Yards / game - 60.7 - 70.8 - 57.5

I think some people that aren't recognizing the progress that is being made may have missed this post.

I realize the team has not seemed to pass the eye test so far this year. Adrian not looking as good as he did last year, the inexplicable inability to snap the ball, kicking and special teams woes, just to name a few things that look like regression. However I think the improvement on the D side has eclipsed anyone's expectations. I know stats, results and on field play don't necessarily indicate each other but those stat improvements in so many areas surely show that things are trending in the right direction and that this program is improving in key metrics and is not regressing. Some things may be stalling but climbing out of where we were, that line of improvement is not going to be a straight line without missteps and hiccups.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
28 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

It would be pretty hard to argue against the folks saying there has been some regression this year if you go to Minnesota and lose by 4 touchdowns. Considering we pounded them by 25 last year. Thats what I am saying. 

Did you just use a hypothetical to claim how things are regressing?

• Plus1 6
35 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

The statement you made (which I quoted and bolded) was specific that this game "will make or break" the arguments.

Now, if you go to the extreme like you did in this post, that's possible.  However, chances are, that won't happen.  Can it?  Sure....but probably not.

Which, gets back to my post.  Whoever wins this game, it will probably be within a score or two and fairly close in the second half.  We already know our offense is redeveloping it's line this year (and they have struggled).  Vedral will probably be the QB.  We might not have JD or Washington.

Throw all that in and if we lose by a TD or so.....it doesn't make or break any arguments.  It just furthers the discussion.

Also....to make your claim, you would need to look at if Minnesota is a lot better than last year.  They would be 6-0 at that point.  Hmmmm.....

• Fire 1
6 hours ago, FTW said:

Yes, the same Illinois team that lost to Minnesota 40-17. This team has lots of issues and that may yet again creep up on us this Saturday.

So your expectation was that if Minnesota could win by that much, we should as well?

Which, again, is all about expectations as opposed to what is actually happening.

6 hours ago, FTW said:

Yes, the same Illinois team that lost to Minnesota 40-17. This team has lots of issues and that may yet again creep up on us this Saturday.

For context - and to illustrate the vast disconnect that can sometimes exist between perception and reality - this is apparently what you think shows our offense is regressing:

• Plus1 1

Q. How do you prepare defensively with the uncertainty of Nebraska having players Martinez and Spielman dinged up?

P.J. FLECK: One thing you got to give Coach Frost credit for is he recruits. There are plenty of people behind them. You got a chance to see their backup play last week. You saw McCaffrey come in, as well. They're probably going to play both. I'm not putting words in Coach Frost's mouth, but I'm sure they're going to be able to play both.

They both can run it, throw it. There are still weapons everywhere. Wandale Robinson has turned out to be the Rondale Moore of Nebraska. As Joe would say, everybody is saying, right? I can hear that.

But he's very talented, very tough to tackle in space. I'm not sure if J.D. is playing or not, but he's a tough player, very talented, one of the best receivers in the Big Ten. Offensive line is back. Tight ends very involved in their offense, even more than last year. They got a transfer that can make some plays on the outside. This is going to be the biggest and strongest defensive line we have played all year. Got our work cut out for us up front, we know that. Linebacking corps is deep. The secondary has been around for a while. That No. 5 can play anywhere, safety, corner, he can move around. We have to be at the top of our game. Doesn't matter who we face. We have to be the best version of us.But the game plan necessarily doesn't change because what Adrian does well. These other quarterbacks do a lot of the same thing.

3 minutes ago, ScawFraw said:

I honestly think the progress shown has more to do with our opponents than it does us.  Last year's schedule was brutal, this year not so much.

Was it though? Michigan sure, but at least OSU, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Illinois are better this year than last. Probably Colorado and Iowa as well. Purdue was better last year, but that was still a mediocre team. Michigan State had their worst offense of all time last year. On paper last year was a tougher schedule, I don't really believe it was in reality.

• Plus1 3

Redshirt decisions are also going to pay dividends in the long term, but may seem to slow progress game to game.

Frost is doing a great service to players like Benhart, Green and Robinson to redshirt them.

As highly rated as some of them are, they are not ready to be at a line of scrimmage battle yet.  Some of them have been out of high school literally months.