8-4

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Seems to me that most people have accepted that there was a big drop off from those four players.

with the possible exception of a majority of HuskerBoard posters at the end of last season and beginning of this season, along with college football observers, pollsters, Vegas oddsmakers, and Heisman Trophy handicappers who did not predict the drop off. 

(when I said it was my last word on the subject, you knew I was kidding, right?)

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I have no problem with a drop off. Year to year you will have a drop off when you lose players. Its the name of the game in college football. I would just think you could still field an offense that doesnt look like 2009 all over again just because you lost a few guys from the year before. Especially when one of the returning pieces was your star QB with Heisman hype.

I am not asking for 2017 UCF offense either. But the last 2 games combined we have scored 20 points.

2009 are you serious?  and the last 2 defenses have been pretty good.... however everything else in the post is spot on!!!!

21 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

with the possible exception of a majority of HuskerBoard posters at the end of last season and beginning of this season, along with college football observers, pollsters, Vegas oddsmakers, and Heisman Trophy handicappers who did not predict the drop off. 

(when I said it was my last word on the subject, you knew I was kidding, right?)

Oh....so nobody is allowed to have an opinion that is optimistic and then realize what is happening during the season and then adjust their judgement based on that.

Got it.  

38 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Fond memories of "can't wait for graduation, once we get rid of the likes of Farmer and Foster..."

Now people are acting like they were star players we miss dearly.

There were people excited to be rid of them and people who weren't. Hard to say if they're the same people unless you want to dig through old posts. It feels like everyone because the vocal ones at the end of last year would be the ones excited for new guys, and the vocal ones now are the ones who don't like how are line is playing now. Is there some overlap? Probably, but a lot of the perception of the 'fanbase' depends on who the vocal group is at that time.

I do remember what you're talking about though - that the answer to our line problems hadn't really been Farmer at center, it was inserting Wilson at guard. Haven't been blown away by any of the returning guys overall.

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I doubt many predicted Chinander's improvement on the defensive side either.

I forget, what did the Vegas oddsmakers set our win total at for this season.?

4 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

Minnesota has averaged 3.1 (SDSU), 2.8 (Fresno), 3.7 (Georgia Southern), 2.7 (Purdue), and 6.4 (Illinois) yards per carry. Obviously their best game is the most recent so maybe they figured it out, but they have not been a juggernaut running the ball. I also have concerns about our LBs, but it's not like this is Wisconsin's running game.

EDIT: I believe this is including sacks which I noted above they've had a lot of, so they're probably slightly better than these numbers paint them to be running the ball. Still not elite.

Ok, but it doesn't take an elite team to beat Nebraska anymore. I just don't agree with people saying we're a lot better than Minnesota when we're pretty much on the same level. With our non threatening run game, the weather, being on the road, this is a big game. Still think a lot of our issues on both sides of the ball is mental. Once we fix that, who knows, maybe Nebraska can rally like NW did last year. I just think we can't afford to either overlook MN or take them for granted.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Fond memories of "can't wait for graduation, once we get rid of the likes of Farmer and Foster..."

I personally never thought Foster was all that great. I knew Farmer would be missed.  Foster is still going to be better than a RS Freshman Walk -on though.  

There is just going to be growing pains when you are starting 2 RS Freshman on the offensive line.  There is no getting around it. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

So......Riley sucked at recruiting. And now we're missing the guys he recruited.

I think this is the point The Dude was making and you're willfully missing.

Pelini recruited Jerald Foster, Tanner Farmer and Cole Conrad. Ozigbo and Morgan were in Riley's first class, but Morgan committed before Riley was hired and I believe Ozigbo was first recruited by Pelini, but did commit to Riley.

• Plus1 3
48 minutes ago, FTW said:

Ok, but it doesn't take an elite team to beat Nebraska anymore. I just don't agree with people saying we're a lot better than Minnesota when we're pretty much on the same level. With our non threatening run game, the weather, being on the road, this is a big game. Still think a lot of our issues on both sides of the ball is mental. Once we fix that, who knows, maybe Nebraska can rally like NW did last year. I just think we can't afford to either overlook MN or take them for granted.

I agree we're not a lot better than them, and may not be better at all. I'm more skeptical of them than high on us I guess, but at the end of the day if we play relatively well I'm not that scared of Minnesota. In either case, I'm sure the team is not overlooking Minnesota. I'm not either, but that doesn't matter a whole lot. I expect to win, but would not be shocked if we lose. 

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Farmer? Yes he's definitely missed.

Foster? No, I don't know the exact number of penalties he committed last year but I remember his number being called quite often.

Is Hixson any better? The jury is still out imo, and he's still only a sophomore. Though I really don't expect him to hold that position beyond this year with some of the guys we have/are recruiting for the o-line.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Oh....so nobody is allowed to have an opinion that is optimistic and then realize what is happening during the season and then adjust their judgement based on that.

Got it.  

FFS....isn't that exactly what I'm doing?  Admitting my previous optimism, then adjusting it to the games that have been played?

Seriously, Team Hindsight, do you know ANYBODY in Huskerdom or college football analytics who DIDN'T predict a breakout year for Scott Frost and Adrian Martinez, and SOME kind of improvement in the defense? Now we're acting like the fitful start is hardly a surprise? 

I mean, there are literally thousands of posts right here claiming disappointment in multiple aspects of the team's performance. And nobody saying the Huskers can't or won't turn it around. Just that a lot of the games we pencilled in the Win column pre-season don't feel as sure anymore. That seems pretty reasonable, eh? 

24 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

So......Riley sucked at recruiting. And now we're missing the guys he recruited.

I think this is the point The Dude was making and you're willfully missing.

Um....no.

Someone else already posted it, but this is the season of Riley's recruiting prowress on display with upperclassmen.