8-4

5 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

Amazing how our expectations have dropped so far...we fired Pellini when he was consistently producing 9-4 seasons and now all we can hope for is an 8-4 record at best. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll take it considering the dumpster fire that Riley left behind but I am still disappointed that we have not been able to turn the corner after almost two decades of trying to rebuild. I am really hoping that we find a way to beat Minnesota this week but I am not counting on it. I feel like this team will find a way to beat itself this weekend.

You included the reason right in your statement. Pelini lost 4 games every year. Our hope this year is now losing only 4, but as a whole the expectation is still higher than that. So I guess you're not wrong that the expectations have dropped, but it's a short term drop. 

• Fire 1

12 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

now all we can hope for is an 8-4 record at best.

What?

We can hope for 10-2

We can hope for 11-2 with a B1G Championship

We can hope for 12-2 with a bowl victory.

Heck we can hope for 13-2 with a MNC.

I hope the team doesn't have this "8-4 is best case" mentality that this board seems to have caught or we are screwed. At 0-6 last year it didn't feel like we'd win a game then we went 4-2. You have no idea how the season could go so 8-4 is not our best case scenario.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

What?

We can hope for 10-2

We can hope for 11-2 with a B1G Championship

We can hope for 12-2 with a bowl victory.

Heck we can hope for 13-2 with a MNC.

I hope the team doesn't have this "8-4 is best case" mentality that this board seems to have caught or we are screwed. At 0-6 last year it didn't feel like we'd win a game then we went 4-2. You have no idea how the season could go so 8-4 is not our best case scenario.

THANK YOU!

WIN OUT!

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

You included the reason right in your statement. Pelini lost 4 games every year. Our hope this year is now losing only 4, but as a whole the expectation is still higher than that. So I guess you're not wrong that the expectations have dropped, but it's a short term drop

Everyone wants to get back to 90s level of success, but it's going to be a painful process. In the last few years, we have been beaten by NIU, Troy and Purdue at home, have finished 4-8 in back to back seasons, and have 9-9 home record since 2017, and haven't been competitive in the Big10 West. We need to realize that we are starting from ground zero again. We haven't even been able to play more than 2 or 3 quarters of football for several years. The team celebrated the NW win like they just beat Clemson, so it tells us where our mindset is at this point in time. We need to learn how to play 4 quarters and win, and make those two things a habit as much as possible before we can move on to loftier goals. It sucks, and I sure don't want to wait much longer, and keep losing, but we are starting from scratch in a lot of ways.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Jarhead In Red said:

The team celebrated the NW win like they just beat Clemson, so it tells us where our mindset is at this point in time.

No.

They celebrated a walk on 3rd string kicker ( who really didn't even come here to kick) winning the game at the last second with a field goal.  It was a great moment and has nothing to do with the mindset of where people (or players) think this program should be.

• Plus1 8
  • Fire 1
22 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

No.

They celebrated a walk on 3rd string kicker ( who really didn't even come here to kick) winning the game at the last second with a field goal.  It was a great moment and has nothing to do with the mindset of where people (or players) think this program should be.

The players should be celebrating like that.  Nothing wrong with celebrating a win, no matter who the opponent or how it happened.  These kids are here for a short time.  Celebrating a win and being happy about how the team played is not the same thing.

However, I think Frost was walking off the field with a look of relief.  His mindset is probably thinking "man, we have a long ways to go".  I didn't notice him celebrating wildly.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Jarhead In Red said:

The team celebrated the NW win like they just beat Clemson, so it tells us where our mindset is at this point in time.

I'm OK with a team getting excited about a win against what is usually a formidable Big 10 West team... especially when it's basically a Rudy getting the lucky kick through the goalposts. I seem to remember a team that was excited to walk away with a win after a miracle catch by a nearly unknown freshman as time expired in Missouri in '97 despite the fact that Missouri wasn't exactly known to be a juggernaut.

15 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The players should be celebrating like that.  Nothing wrong with celebrating a win, no matter who the opponent or how it happened.  These kids are here for a short time.  Celebrating a win and being happy about how the team played is not the same thing.

However, I think Frost was walking off the field with a look of relief.  His mindset is probably thinking "man, we have a long ways to go".  I didn't notice him celebrating wildly.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with celebrating ANY win, and this was a good one, especially considering what the team has been through lately, and how NW has given us trouble recently. I was just trying to illustrate how far even the teams expectations have changed from those power teams of old. Back then, the team would celebrate wildly over beating Oklahoma, and occasionally some other conference foes, and now it's happening when we beat a 1-3 NW team. The main point was that we are starting from scratch, and standards and expectations HAVE changed at this point in time....and, like you mention, there's a long way to go..

2 minutes ago, Jarhead In Red said:

I was just trying to illustrate how far even the teams expectations have changed from those power teams of old. Back then, the team would celebrate wildly over beating Oklahoma, and occasionally some other conference foes, and now it's happening when we beat a 1-3 NW team. 

The point you're missing is why they were celebrating the way they did.  If this was Alex Henery kicking...I would agree.  But it wasn't.....and their celebration has nothing to do with their (or the fan's ) expectation for the program.

1 minute ago, Jarhead In Red said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with celebrating ANY win, and this was a good one, especially considering what the team has been through lately, and how NW has given us trouble recently. I was just trying to illustrate how far even the teams expectations have changed from those power teams of old. Back then, the team would celebrate wildly over beating Oklahoma, and occasionally some other conference foes, and now it's happening when we beat a 1-3 NW team. The main point was that we are starting from scratch, and standards and expectations HAVE changed at this point in time....and, like you mention, there's a long way to go..

Back then, there were very few close games each year, where NU was winning with a game-winning kick.  In 2000,  NU beat 3-8 Colorado with a game-winning kick, I saw the team celebrate.  It was a road game and wasn't there, but I am sure the team was celebrating in 1993, when they stopped a 5-7 Kansas team on a 2-point conversion to preserve and undefeated season.  I just get tired of the complaints about the team celebrating a win.

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Back then, there were very few close games each year, where NU was winning with a game-winning kick.  In 2000,  NU beat 3-8 Colorado with a game-winning kick, I saw the team celebrate.  It was a road game and wasn't there, but I am sure the team was celebrating in 1993, when they stopped a 5-7 Kansas team on a 2-point conversion to preserve and undefeated season.  I just get tired of the complaints about the team celebrating a win.

Not "Complaining" at all, just making a point about expectations changing, for us and the players, and how it plays out with celebrations.. If you don't think clearing the benches in celebration has anything to do with expectations, that's fine. We can just disagree and leave it at that.

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The point you're missing is why they were celebrating the way they did.  If this was Alex Henery kicking...I would agree.  But it wasn't.....and their celebration has nothing to do with their (or the fan's ) expectation for the program.

I don't have a problem with them celebrating, I think it's great. But, you have some of the iconic coaches telling players not to wildly celebrate when they score a TD, because they should "act like you've been there before", meaning that it wasn't a surprise and was EXPECTED. In this sense, I submit celebrations are related to expectations, so we will just have to disagree.

2 minutes ago, Jarhead In Red said:

I don't have a problem with them celebrating, I think it's great. But, you have some of the iconic coaches telling players not to wildly celebrate when they score a TD, because they should "act like you've been there before", meaning that it wasn't a surprise and was EXPECTED. In this sense, I submit celebrations are related to expectations, so we will just have to disagree.

You say the bolded...then spend the rest of your post explaining why they shouldn't have celebrated.

• Plus1 1