8-4

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

But, the point that we are telling you is that the celebration has nothing to do with the "expectations" the team has or the fans have.

And, I'm saying that the celebrations are great, and there is nothing wrong with it at all, but the particulars of what triggers those celebrations are a reflection of where we are as a program, that's it. That's all I'm saying. The players celebrated wildly and the fans pulled down the goalposts when we beat Colorado in 1994, but they didn't react the same way after beating Kansas in the same year.  If you don't agree there is any correlation between celebration and expectations that's fine, we can just disagree and move on.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

But it doesn't.

It's just an opinion. I've given my reasoning, and some examples, to support my opinion. What have you provided to suppport your opinion, other than "you're wrong"? Explain why, after beating Colorado in 1994, that the players were celebrating wildly in the lockerroom and the fans tore down the goalposts, but they did neither of those things after beating Iowa State. I submit it was because the players and fans EXPECTED to beat Iowa State without a shadow of a doubt,  but they EXPECTED Colorado to be a much tougher game, and a bigger accomplishment if they won. Whats your explanation?

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Jarhead In Red said:

It's just an opinion. I've given my reasoning, and some examples, to support my opinion. What have you provided to suppport your opinion, other than "you're wrong"? Explain why, after beating Colorado in 1994, that the players were celebrating wildly in the lockerroom and the fans tore down the goalposts, but they did neither of those things after beating Iowa State. I submit it was because the players and fans EXPECTED to beat Iowa State without a shadow of a doubt,  but they EXPECTED Colorado to be a much tougher game, and a bigger accomplishment if they won. Whats your explanation?

Colorado was #2 in the country, Kansas was unranked and we beat them 45-17. Of course you're going to celebrate differently. And neither of those really apply to last week - this wasn't a rush the field/tear down the goal posts celebration, it's a celebration but not over the top like we beat Alabama. And it was a last second victory, which you're going to celebrate regardless of who it's against. Much more like '97 Missouri, a team we should have handled fairly easily and had to squeak by.

EDIT: Your initial post mentioned Kansas, Iowa State was also unranked and not a particularly close (28-12) game.

Edited by Husker in WI
Just now, Husker in WI said:

Colorado was #2 in the country, Kansas was unranked and we beat them 45-17. Of course you're going to celebrate differently. And neither of those really apply to last week - this wasn't a rush the field/tear down the goal posts celebration, it's a celebration but not over the top like we beat Alabama. And it was a last second victory, which you're going to celebrate regardless of who it's against. Much more like '97 Missouri, a team we should have handled fairly easily and had to squeak by.

Exactly. We celebrate differently based on the opponent and our expectations of winning. Our expectations have changed in our current situation. That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying we should never celebrate, or saying we were wrong for doing it for NW. My only point is that how we celebrate is a reflection on who we expect to beat. In 5 years when we are beating NW like a rented drum every year, :) we won't celebrate so much when we win 13 to 10 on a last second field goal. It's just a minor observation, and not really that important......

1 minute ago, Jarhead In Red said:

Exactly. We celebrate differently based on the opponent and our expectations of winning. Our expectations have changed in our current situation. That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying we should never celebrate, or saying we were wrong for doing it for NW. My only point is that how we celebrate is a reflection on who we expect to beat. In 5 years when we are beating NW like a rented drum every year, :) we won't celebrate so much when we win 13 to 10 on a last second field goal. It's just a minor observation, and not really that important......

Fair enough, yeah when we're beating them 48-3 we won't need to celebrate. I think there were people actually complaining that we were celebrating which I have an issue with, but I've got no problem looking forward to the days when it'll be a non-event.

4 minutes ago, Jarhead In Red said:

:) we won't celebrate so much when we win 13 to 10 on a last second field goal. 

The point you are clearly missing is we will always celebrate quite a bit on a 13-10 win on a last second field goal because that is an exciting moment regardless of your expectations

• Plus1 2
16 minutes ago, Jarhead In Red said:

And yet....you ignore exactly why the players had the reaction they had.  It was a third string walk-on safety that kicked the winning field goal.  This wasn't Drew Brown out there kicking.  

That point seems to be lost here in your thoughts.  In other words, it has absolutely nothing to do with WHO we beat....and everything to do with how and who accomplished it.

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

And yet....you ignore exactly why the players had the reaction they had.  It was a third string walk-on safety that kicked the winning field goal.  This wasn't Drew Brown out there kicking.  

That point seems to be lost here in your thoughts.  In other words, it has absolutely nothing to do with WHO we beat....and everything to do with how and who accomplished it.

I say it DOES have something to do with who you beat, and it also DOES have something to do with how it was accomplished. They are not mutually exclusive. However, I never intended to hijack this thread with endless discussion about celebrations, so how about this. I was completely wrong , I never should have said a word about any of it, and we celebrate over the same things when we are 10-1 or whether we are 4-8.........now maybe we can put this to rest and move on to more relevant discussions about the 8-4 thread.

Watching #48 tear down the field, arms outstretched, crowd roaring, teammates mobbing him, was one of the best moments of the season so far.

Nebraska didn't look like a division contender against Northwestern, and the optimism in Memorial Stadium was pretty well drained with 1:30 left in the game.

I don't see why you couldn't, or wouldn't, have both opinions at the same time. 

• Plus1 4
51 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Watching #48 tear down the field, arms outstretched, crowd roaring, teammates mobbing him, was one of the best moments of the season so far.

Nebraska didn't look like a division contender against Northwestern, and the optimism in Memorial Stadium was pretty well drained with 1:30 left in the game.

I don't see why you couldn't, or wouldn't, have both opinions at the same time. 

I'm sure Frost had both opinions during and after the game.  He had to be elated for McCallum and the players to get the W, but very concerned about how the team played and the injuries which occurred during the game.

I just have to roll my eyes at this conversation.  Over the Riley years (and possibly more) I read posts where fans were upset that the players would show no emotion on the sidelines and didn't act like they were into the game.  

They then go out and win a hard fought (albeit sloppy) game with a third string walk-on and some fans say...."They should act like they've been there before or it proves their expectations have dropped so far".

I would love to see the players celebrating just like that after every single one of our remaining games.

• Plus1 3
On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:56 AM, huskerfan74 said:

Amazing how our expectations have dropped so far...we fired Pellini when he was consistently producing 9-4 seasons and now all we can hope for is an 8-4 record at best. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll take it considering the dumpster fire that Riley left behind but I am still disappointed that we have not been able to turn the corner after almost two decades of trying to rebuild. I am really hoping that we find a way to beat Minnesota this week but I am not counting on it. I feel like this team will find a way to beat itself this weekend.

What's the definition of the corner we need to turn?  In 2009, we witnessed arguably the best DL performance by Suh in Husker history.  To this day, there is still arguments as to whether that last second should have been put on the clock in the Big 12 Championship game.  In 2010, we were a team for most of the season that nobody wanted to play.  We were a legit top 10 team until the very end.  I will give you that in the last two decades we've seen our share of crap football.  However, there have been times in the past two decades we have seen some pretty good football.  The second half of last season was some pretty decent football.  There's still time this season to see some good football.  Right now, I'm seeing some pretty decent football being played when we're on defense.   

• Plus1 1