8-4

BigRedBuster: “I just have to roll my eyes at this conversation. Over the Riley years (and possibly more) I read posts where fans were upset that the players would show no emotion on the sidelines and didn't act like they were into the game. They then go out and win a hard fought (albeit sloppy) game with a third string walk-on and some fans say...."They should act like they've been there before or it proves their expectations have dropped so far".

Some fans choose to view the Husker program and games from the wide lens of a 20, 30, even 40 or 50 year wide lens field. They want to place everything into a wide historical context and then lay on top of that their own personal expectations for any event. That’s OK to do that as there are no holy rules about this kind of thing.

But we can be reminded from time to time that these young men - most of them being men much larger than most guys on the street - are young adults but they (like all of us) are also kids at heart. You feel the joy of winning, something working out well, being stunned by unexpected favor, or that fact that YOU did it, and you react just like a kid would because inside you are still partly a kid. Even if we make to 100 years old, we should never ever lose that feeling.

Plus the fact, you can’t expect another human being to react in any particular way or as you might think they should. You feel, you react, as an individual. If you are 20 years old today, everything (even making an "easy" field goal) is new to you.

Both points of view: that the Huskers should have high expectations - and the one that knows that celebrating something (even minor) can be a good thing - are valid. Both need be part of the Husker culture.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

I must say I'm surprised.   I made a simple observation about a thought that occurred to me while working outside.  I actually looked for another thread to put the post into, but couldn't find a good one where it fit.  Now it is at 14 pages of comments.  I guess I probably ought to get an agent to handle my fame?!  LOL.  Even though my original thought is no longer part of the thread.  Heh heh.

• Plus1 1
59 minutes ago, Roundball Shaman said:

BigRedBuster: “I just have to roll my eyes at this conversation. Over the Riley years (and possibly more) I read posts where fans were upset that the players would show no emotion on the sidelines and didn't act like they were into the game. They then go out and win a hard fought (albeit sloppy) game with a third string walk-on and some fans say...."They should act like they've been there before or it proves their expectations have dropped so far".

Some fans choose to view the Husker program and games from the wide lens of a 20, 30, even 40 or 50 year wide lens field. They want to place everything into a wide historical context and then lay on top of that their own personal expectations for any event. That’s OK to do that as there are no holy rules about this kind of thing.

But we can be reminded from time to time that these young men - most of them being men much larger than most guys on the street - are young adults but they (like all of us) are also kids at heart. You feel the joy of winning, something working out well, being stunned by unexpected favor, or that fact that YOU did it, and you react just like a kid would because inside you are still partly a kid. Even if we make to 100 years old, we should never ever lose that feeling.

Plus the fact, you can’t expect another human being to react in any particular way or as you might think they should. You feel, you react, as an individual. If you are 20 years old today, everything (even making an "easy" field goal) is new to you.

Both points of view: that the Huskers should have high expectations - and the one that knows that celebrating something (even minor) can be a good thing - are valid. Both need be part of the Husker culture.

Huskerlaw, did you make a new account?

It’s Friday night, time for some spiked Koolaid! Get out yer cups boys!

Tomorrow night, around this time, we will all be on HuskerBoard under the game time thread saying things like:

- “Where has this been all season!?”

- “We’re on pace for 8 sacks.”

- “Wow! What a hit!”

- “Scoop and score baby!”

- “Who needs a kicker?”

- “How are these guys undefeated?”

All as the Huskers put up 476 yards rushing and 183 yards extra rushing (as passing won’t be an option - ha!) for 659 of total rushing offense!  They’ll score 5 offensive TDs, and score one on a defensive turnover, and one on special teams. The halftime score will be 26-9. The final will be 46-22. 46 because we’ll miss 3 extra points and a FG. 

Then, we’ll win the bye week. 

After that, the rest of the season plays out as follows

Pound IU like the round ball school they are.

A week later Wan’Dale > Rondale

We’ll win our 2nd bye week

Beat-up a Beat-up Wisconsin by 21

Send the terrapin back to the station with a “L”

Push Hawkeye off that cliff on Vormir (to avenge the death of Black Widow and avenge the teams who came and lost before this one) Long Live Red Skull! He’s GOT to be a Huskers fan. 

10-2

We’ll get beat by OSU in B1G (because I haven’t drank enough yet) 

Win our Bowl Game against a pathetic Pac12 team that just happened to slaughter Colorado in the regular season (Just to prove a point!) 

11-3, lots of crow for dinner around the country.

DRINK! 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
12 hours ago, ZMagers22 said:

It’s Friday night, time for some spiked Koolaid! Get out yer cups boys!

Tomorrow night, around this time, we will all be on HuskerBoard under the game time thread saying things like:

- “Where has this been all season!?”

- “We’re on pace for 8 sacks.”

- “Wow! What a hit!”

- “Scoop and score baby!”

- “Who needs a kicker?”

- “How are these guys undefeated?”

All as the Huskers put up 476 yards rushing and 183 yards extra rushing (as passing won’t be an option - ha!) for 659 of total rushing offense!  They’ll score 5 offensive TDs, and score one on a defensive turnover, and one on special teams. The halftime score will be 26-9. The final will be 46-22. 46 because we’ll miss 3 extra points and a FG. 

Then, we’ll win the bye week. 

After that, the rest of the season plays out as follows

Pound IU like the round ball school they are.

A week later Wan’Dale > Rondale

We’ll win our 2nd bye week

Beat-up a Beat-up Wisconsin by 21

Send the terrapin back to the station with a “L”

Push Hawkeye off that cliff on Vormir (to avenge the death of Black Widow and avenge the teams who came and lost before this one) Long Live Red Skull! He’s GOT to be a Huskers fan. 

10-2

We’ll get beat by OSU in B1G (because I haven’t drank enough yet) 

Win our Bowl Game against a pathetic Pac12 team that just happened to slaughter Colorado in the regular season (Just to prove a point!) 

11-3, lots of crow for dinner around the country.

DRINK! 

Send the terrapin back to the station with a “L”  >> That sounds like a Grateful Dead reference.  Yes?

16 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

6-6 is iffy at this point 

Nope, at the time of my post, we were 8-4 in the previous 12 games, as I clearly said.  That was not a prediction, it was a look back.  But reading is such a hassle, I know.  Sadly, to your point though.  I'm hoping we actually get to 6-6 this year,  and a bowl game.  In serious doubt right now.