Huskers in the 2020 NFL Draft

Mavric

So ..... this is a thing.  Apparently.

Round 1 - Pick 17
Lamar Jackson CB  NEBRASKA • SR • 6'3" / 215 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM - Carolina    
PROSPECT RNK - 18th    
POSITION RNK - 4th
The Panthers still have a good defense but have problems in the secondary, especially at corner. Jackson is a huge, playmaking perimeter corner.

CBS Sports

• Plus1 1

Back in the early 90s, Eddie Murphy was in a movie called "The Distinguished Gentleman." He had the same name as a former congressman who was pretty popular and ended up getting himself elected to Congress based on name recognition only.

That is what I will think of if Nebraska's Lamar Jackson gets drafted in the first round.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Huskerzoo said:

247 had him as a first rounder as well. Not a bad way to get the streak started back up again, but I don't love the thought of anyone on the team leaving early right now. 

He is a senior, as crazy as that seems. JD would be the only potential early entry I would think.

EDIT: @ColoradoHusk beat me to it.

Edited by Husker in WI
  • Plus1 1

In a way to early mock draft, Lamar Jackson is getting some high praises.  Shows him going in the 1st round at to the Panthers.  Be great for him and for Nebraska!

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2020-nfl-mock-draft-bengals-go-justin-herbert-at-no-1-overall-falcons-bolster-defense-with-top-cornerback/

Edited by Mavric
Merged threads
  • Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

At the risk of opening pandora's box of debate, I can't help but think about this in terms of recruiting rankings. Lamar is one of the highest rated recruits we have on campus. Initially, he looked like maybe a bust and that was probably due some mix of coaching and attitude.  However, after 2.5 years of arguably bad play, the light came on and leads to a possible first round draft status. I think that speaks huge volumes about baseline attributes and abilities that make that kind of path even possible. To me, recruiting rankings are about trying to evaluate top end potential in high school juniors. In the case of Lamar, the fact that he had the ability to basically "turn it on," in terms of learning from coaches and putting in the effort in his jr/sr years of college to vault him into a 1st round category indicates the services that said this kid had a world of potential as a junior in high school weren't smoking dope. 

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Personally I think he is a touch slow for CB in the NFL. His size is great, and his athleticism is very good for his size but the NFL has burners

My instinct is the same, but honestly I can't think of a time when his speed has been an issue so I'd bet he's faster than we assume. When he has problems it's been biting on double moves or not recognizing and breaking on a route quick enough, I don't remember any receivers just running away from him.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
17 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

My instinct is the same, but honestly I can't think of a time when his speed has been an issue so I'd bet he's faster than we assume. When he has problems it's been biting on double moves or not recognizing and breaking on a route quick enough, I don't remember any receivers just running away from him.

I've seen it a few times but not often. I guess my take is he clearly has the tools to play in the NFL, I just don't know if his position is a true corner.

22 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I think there's been a couple times this year where it appears he got beat...but, instead he thought he was going to have safety help over the top and didn't....possibly because of a missed assignment from the safety.

Sometimes it's difficult to diagnose those things.