Huskers in the 2020 NFL Draft

Mavric

7 minutes ago, Undone said:

Three players on defense or offense combined? Our four guys that got invited are defensive players, so I'd have to agree with The Dude's assertion.

However, I'd also argue that when you take in the season as a whole our offense was the bigger reason we wound up with a losing record and our defense did all that it reasonably could in most of our games. I'd say the main exceptions there were the Purdue & Indiana games, but that's a different story.

Maryland has 2 RBs invited.  But I still don't think it means all that much to the talent level of the defense.  Arkansas has 3 defensive players invited and they were way more worser than Nebraska.

5 minutes ago, Undone said:

They were the second best team on our schedule, and we also allowed a special teams TD in that one. I don't look back at that game with all that much frustration as far as saying "That shouldla been one that we for sure won."

The Purdue & Indiana games, though? Different story. Those two games showed us for the dumpster fire that we were - both from a coaching and execution standpoint.

I wasn't trying to say that NU would have beaten Wisconsin with a better defense performance, but Wisconsin went through our D with no issues.  I agree that Purdue and Indiana defense performances impacted the result, although the offense contributed to the losses as well.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I wouldn't say our defense was the problem that day.  If we have a kicker and could score in the red zone, we will that game.

You were beating that drum after that game, and I disagree.  NU wasn't close to winning that game.  NU's D gave up nearly 500 yards, and let Wisconsin have the ball for nearly 35 minutes of the game.  Wisconsin scored 24 straight points in 20 minutes in the 2nd and 3rd quarter.  Yes, there was a costly Martinez INT and a missed FG in the 3rd quarter, but NU showed no resistance on D during the 2nd and 3rd quarter, and couldn't get a stop when NU cut the lead to 13 points near the end of the 3rd quarter.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
23 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You were beating that drum after that game, and I disagree.  NU wasn't close to winning that game.  NU's D gave up nearly 500 yards, and let Wisconsin have the ball for nearly 35 minutes of the game.  Wisconsin scored 24 straight points in 20 minutes in the 2nd and 3rd quarter.  Yes, there was a costly Martinez INT and a missed FG in the 3rd quarter, but NU showed no resistance on D during the 2nd and 3rd quarter, and couldn't get a stop when NU cut the lead to 13 points near the end of the 3rd quarter.

Sorry, but the math doesn't lie.

We ended drives at:

W 34 yard line - Downs

W 24 yard line - missed field goal

W 15 yard line - downs

W 1 yard line - downs

We lost by 16 points.

To say we would have won if we could score in the red zone and a kicker is a very realistic opinion.  Just the last three would have been 17 points (assuming the W 24 yard line drive ended in a FG).  Then, if we kick into the end zone, we don't allow a kick return for a TD. 

Heck...if the last three are field goals and we have kickoffs in the end zone, that's 16 points right there.

You can beat the defense mantra all you want.  They weren't perfect that day...but, they were playing a dang good offense too (#23 in the country scoring).  But, kicking and red zone scoring was thee main problem that day.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Undone said:

I'm not sure how many of our blackshirts were completing their junior year (meaning that they also could technically be eligible to get invited). But to have four seniors get invited to the combine speaks to there being talent on the team in my estimation.

There being talent on the team and their not being enough talent are not mutually exclusive.

• Plus1 4
9 hours ago, The Dude said:

A safety and 2 runningbacks lol.  The entire defensive front plus a CB is a little different.  

I see your point but Khalil basically got an invite for his performance in the 4-3 defense at the senior bowl. Darrion and Lamar were going to get invited regardless because of their frames for their respective positions. Khalil and Carlos were playing out of their natural position. Don't know if Carlos necessarily deserved an invite but we'll see what happens. 

6 hours ago, The Dude said:

For the last 2 years we've heard ad nauseam how it's not Chinander's fault his defense sucks, he doesn't have any talent to work with.

That narrative is inconsistent with 4 players and counting getting invites to the combine.

You are exaggerating what has been said so that you can have a strawman to argue against.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

In the Wisconsin game, we gave up 482 yards on defense and put up 493 ourselves on offense. As Buster points out, we ended drives pretty deep in Wisconsin territory multiple times. If we would have kicked three successful field goals on the last three drives you mention, Buster, we'd have scored 30.

Special teams again screwed us, because they ultimately put up 37 and we gave up a kickoff return TD. Game could have easily ended in regulation 30-30 with good special teams play.

I don't know which one of you is more correct but all I see is us as a team that played atrocious special teams for two straight seasons, an offensive line that can't get push when it's in the red zone, and a set of linebackers that just didn't play well against the run.

Kind of a top-to-bottom mediocre team to me, honestly.

8 hours ago, The Dude said:

That narrative is inconsistent with 4 players and counting getting invites to the combine.

Also, invite to the combine doesn't mean a whole lot.. You are trying to equate that to NFL draftees, which is a stretch.. I'd be surprised if more than 2 get drafted, which is 2 more than would have been drafted had Chinander not taken over and made them serviceable.  

24 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Also, invite to the combine doesn't mean a whole lot.. You are trying to equate that to NFL draftees, which is a stretch.. I'd be surprised if more than 2 get drafted, which is 2 more than would have been drafted had Chinander not taken over and made them serviceable.  

Fisher turned around Lamar, not Chin. Darrion was just brought in. Khalil was improved and I always felt he was a very good player if he was in the right mindset. I hope the staff is smart enough to get the young kids PT to allow them to overtake Dismuke and Bootle...