Huskers in the 2020 NFL Draft

Mavric

28 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I've seen it a few times but not often. I guess my take is he clearly has the tools to play in the NFL, I just don't know if his position is a true corner.

26 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think there's been a couple times this year where it appears he got beat...but, instead he thought he was going to have safety help over the top and didn't....possibly because of a missed assignment from the safety.

Sometimes it's difficult to diagnose those things.

Good points, and an October mock draft is not worth very much. I do think he'll get drafted in the first few rounds though, and bearing in mind he's only had a year and a half of competent coaching he's still got room to grow.

As far as the 2020 draft, wouldn't be shocked to see Darrion go pretty high as well. I think Tuoti said he played ~60 snaps against NW. You just don't find 340 lb men who can move and play that number of snaps often.

• Plus1 2

47 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Good points, and an October mock draft is not worth very much. I do think he'll get drafted in the first few rounds though, and bearing in mind he's only had a year and a half of competent coaching he's still got room to grow.

As far as the 2020 draft, wouldn't be shocked to see Darrion go pretty high as well. I think Tuoti said he played ~60 snaps against NW. You just don't find 340 lb men who can move and play that number of snaps often.

Jackson is definitely gone by the 3rd round imo. I think he will get better as we go down the stretch. We've put the best passing squads on our schedule behind us for the most part especially after Saturday.

He is long, athletic and has an instinct for coverage right now, all things NFL teams will be looking for. Maybe he is fast enough to play outside, I'd be curious to see his 40 time. If not I think he would be very good as a coverage safety or nickle player. In todays NFL he would be on the field all the time in that role.

I think he would make a good slot defender because he is solid at locking down the underneath routes those guys live on, and he has the size to cover a TE.

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

Jackson is definitely gone by the 3rd round imo. I think he will get better as we go down the stretch. We've put the best passing squads on our schedule behind us for the most part especially after Saturday.

He is long, athletic and has an instinct for coverage right now, all things NFL teams will be looking for. Maybe he is fast enough to play outside, I'd be curious to see his 40 time. If not I think he would be very good as a coverage safety or nickle player. In todays NFL he would be on the field all the time in that role.

I think he would make a good slot defender because he is solid at locking down the underneath routes those guys live on, and he has the size to cover a TE.

I think his size to cover a TE will be huge. NFL teams are desperate for someone who can help cover guys like Gronk, Kittle, Graham, etc.

• Plus1 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Khalil Davis mentioned as one of the day 1 winners from the East/West Shrine game practices:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/5-winners-from-day-1-of-the-2020-eastwest-shrine-bowl

Seemingly every year, there's a disruptive interior defensive lineman that takes the Shrine Week by storm. Could this year's version be Khalil Davis? If he shows up the rest of the week the way that he did Monday? Look out. Davis flashed power and mobility — an impressive combination, especially when you can apply that power at steeper angles.

Don't know how much it's worth coming from a random site, but still nice to see.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/live-from-the-east-west-shrine-game-practice-day-one/

4:35 PM ET: Khalil Davis looks unstoppable early on in West practice.

4 minutes ago, kc_husker said:

Not sure if its nice to see or not, where has he been the last four years?

Freshman: 4 games, 4 tackles (2 for loss), 0 sacks

Sophomore: 9 games, 15 tackles (3.5 for loss), 2 sacks

Junior: 12 games, 41 tackles (7.5 for loss), 3 sacks

Senior: 11 games, 44 tackles (11 for loss), 8 sacks (led team)

Not sure what more you wanted from him, particularly for a d-lineman that's the path you hope for. Redshirt, get your feet wet as a freshman, contribute as a sophomore, and play a lot as an upperclassman. Especially the last 2 years, if you're legitimately asking where he's been you must not have been watching the games closely.

Especially considering they're out of position as 3-4 ends, the Davis twins were both good. I think they could catch on in the NFL as rotational 4-3 DTs, especially Khalil.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
51 minutes ago, kc_husker said:

Oh I hear you, I wasn't saying that he sucked by any means. My first reaction was he stands out with all star talent around him you would think he could have dominated a little more.  

Ah, got it. Feels like East/West isn't actually "all star" talent even though it is an all star game for one thing. There are some really good players, but the 1st/2nd round talents don't bother with all star games. And props to Khalil for putting up the performances he did here out of position, but he likely would've showed up more this year if we were running a 4-3.

To the people claiming or d-line will take a step back next year - I'm not saying Stille/Keem/Rogers/Robinson/etc are better than the Davis's. But the have much better frames for the position which I think will compensate for any areas where they're worse than them. Carlos and Khalil did a hell of a job playing a position they shouldn't have been, and I'm grateful they stuck around to do it while we recruited guys who fit there. Now they can go do what they were meant to do, wreak havoc as 3-techs.

• Plus1 2