Huskers in the 2020 NFL Draft

Mavric

11 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2020-nfl-mock-draft-7-round-post-free-agency/

I know these are just speculation but this illustrates how much the combine and pro day can hurt a prospect.  Lamar down to #220 in the 7th round.  Ouch...

Not trying to pile on the kid, but a lot of that was apparent on the field as well. I know there were projections from "experts," but those were based on his measurables.  I think once it was proven that those measurables don't convert well, the game film wasn't enough to support teams taking risks on him. 

They're also just throwing stuff against the wall in later rounds to see what sticks - This one has him in the 4th to Arizona, and another in the 5th to Philly. Most don't have Khalil drafted any more, but this dude still has him in the 3rd.    He's definitely dropped from some of the in-season hype, but I'd be surprised if he went in the 7th.

His combine didn't help, but I agree the inconsistent game film is probably a bigger factor. And I've been a pretty big Lamar defender. If he came out and ran a 4.4 flat, a lot more teams would be able to convince themselves he could fit their system. But at mid to high 4.5s, you're looking at specific schemes and just outside corner which lowers his value quite a bit. That's not to say he can't be really good, but in the first few rounds the corners taken either have the potential to be a lock down cover guy, or the ability to play in the slot.

His absolute best case scenario is something like Richard Sherman, but you don't bet much on a guy who looks like Sherman actually turning into him.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Husker03 said:

Not trying to pile on the kid, but a lot of that was apparent on the field as well. I know there were projections from "experts," but those were based on his measurables.  I think once it was proven that those measurables don't convert well, the game film wasn't enough to support teams taking risks on him. 

You're still talking about "expert" predictions here, they're just different from before.  He'll get drafted,  just like Tanner Lee, based on potential.  The talking heads don't work for NFL teams, and it just takes one team to like him. Teams don't like to show their hands ahead of time either.

Some good stuff about each of them here:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/big-ten-scouting-reports-2020-nfl-draft/8/

This guy seems a little higher on Darrion than most. One thing I liked about his reports is nothing stuck out as flying in the face of what I saw from the players. A lot of times you read these and it just doesn't match at all what we've seen - I know some of that is scouts knowing more what to look for technique-wise. But other than Alex Davis "Breaks down well, defeats blocks and flies around the field to make plays," it at least feels like they were watching the same games I was. And he does admit Alex wasn't very productive.

• 2 weeks later...

Just goes to show that the level of recruits we are getting just aren't good enough, and development of our players isn't up to par. LSU had 10 guys selected in the first 3 rounds; Bama and Ohio State had nearly as many. Can't compete with the big boys until we can somehow land that level of talent. Finishing #20-25 each year in recruiting will equate to a #20-25 finish in the polls.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1