Will staff get rid of "busts"

11 hours ago, Scratchtown said:

These kids want to play. It’s a new generation. That’s why you’ll never see a real striving walk on program like we used to. These kids should be going to UNK. 

Go Lopes!

Are you insinuating that kids from previous generations didn’t want to play? I’m fairly certain that isn’t the case. That desire was always there. When you have the right culture, people want to be a part of that culture because they know how they contribute. That hasn’t changed much, and won’t change much from generation to generation. 

For example: We’re not even 2 years into the HCSF era and the walk-on program is already showing merit and promise again. A walk-on just kicked the game winning field goal. That walk-on chose to give up his scholarship at Air Force to walk-on at UNL. 

20 years ago, I would have walked on at UNL in a heartbeat if I was good enough, but I wasn’t. However, I had the chance to play basketball for UNK and I chose to enlist in the Air Force because I knew that meant my career was over. I thought I’d use my time wisely to give back through service to the country instead (just in case you’re wondering where UNK ranked on this former potential student athlete’s radar).

I just checked, and apparently LoperBoard.com URL hasn’t been used yet. You should start a message board there. If anything, you won’t have ads and it should be fairly easy to maintain with minimal traffic.

I’m teasing, I’m teasing... UNK is a good school. Many of my close friends went there. They always talked about how crazy it was to have an eight man football team in college though. I can’t even imagine that league. Hope the Antelopes are doing well this year!

• Plus1 2

Just now, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I've heard they downplayed the amount of people on the team that hated his guts for the movie

And created a bunch of fictional issues to overcome - there was no limit to the number of players that can dress for home games, and the coaches put him in on their own I believe. There was no chanting, and I don't think he actually made a tackle. Great movie, but it's very loosely based on reality.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I've heard they downplayed the amount of people on the team that hated his guts for the movie

Even Johnny Rodgers thinks Rudy is trying to live off his college days way too much, and Rudy didn't even accomplish anything.

Joe Montana doesn't have great things to say about Rudy.

1 minute ago, Husker in WI said:

And created a bunch of fictional issues to overcome - there was no limit to the number of players that can dress for home games, and the coaches put him in on their own I believe. There was no chanting, and I don't think he actually made a tackle. Great movie, but it's very loosely based on reality.

Is it a great movie just because it's a football movie?  I don't think the movie is very good.  It makes me want to punch Rudy in the face.

• Haha 4
11 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I think he made a tackle but I don't believe it was a sack.  I think there is game footage on youtube somewhere 

14 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Is it a great movie just because it's a football movie?  I don't think the movie is very good.  It makes me want to punch Rudy in the face.

Mostly. There's really only a handful of high-quality football movies IMO, and it's one of them. I'm sure some of it is I've watched it since I was a kid too. But it's got some great moments, outside of Rudy himself being pretty annoying.

14 hours ago, Scratchtown said:

These kids want to play. It’s a new generation. That’s why you’ll never see a real striving walk on program like we used to.

More like these kids, and their families, can't afford to turn down a scholarship. College is too damn expensive these days.

• Plus1 4

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

I am not 100% sure actually...I don't think so.  I think it is just more that he knows if his kid quits he will party his a$$ off, skip class and fail out.

Sounds like a solid character kid - perfect person to use as an example of how important the NU walkon program is.