Trump's Syria Atrocities

9 minutes ago, Apsu said:

Mistakes can be made by our military too.
Perhaps after that Turkey will not make any more mistakes.

The reason you've been accused of having Republican sensitivities is because of things like this. It seems you're willing to bend over backwards to use logic sympathetic to Trump and the GOP, while heavily criticizing the Democratic establishment.

I firmly disagree about the Democrats being as pressing a problem as Trump's GOP. I just don't get that logic. The former is clearly the lesser of two evils right now. Not that I'm all that invested in defending the Democratic establishment - but it's clear to me they're at worst generally just incompetent while the GOP is malicious.

It's fine to dislike the Dems. They deserve criticism when it's due. I just think we should render the same unto the GOP when it's due as well.

• Plus1 4

44 minutes ago, Apsu said:

The U.S. Military gave Turkey the exact coordinates of all the places American troops were stationed. It's no accident, Turkey and their militias have also targeted the prisons the sdf is holding Isis fighters. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 3
43 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

The U.S. Military gave Turkey the exact coordinates of all the places American troops were stationed. It's no accident, Turkey and their militias have also targeted the prisons the sdf is holding Isis fighters. 

This is correct.

Turkey knows where they are and they're bombing at us because Trump has proven he's not going to do anything and they want to encourage him to pull out all U.S. forces from the region.

As much as some people don't like to play world police, there's a price to be paid if our leadership is MIA. Turkey knows that and they want us out ASAP. They're playing Trump like a damn fiddle because they have financial leverage over him.

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

The reason you've been accused of having Republican sensitivities is because of things like this. It seems you're willing to bend over backwards to use logic sympathetic to Trump and the GOP, while heavily criticizing the Democratic establishment.

How is being sympathetic to the plight of our individual soldiers stuck in a bad situation, being sympathetic to Trump?

How was my statement in any way critical of the Democrat establishment?

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

I firmly disagree about the Democrats being as pressing a problem as Trump's GOP. I just don't get that logic. The former is clearly the lesser of two evils right now. Not that I'm all that invested in defending the Democratic establishment - but it's clear to me they're at worst generally just incompetent while the GOP is malicious.

It's fine to dislike the Dems. They deserve criticism when it's due. I just think we should render the same unto the GOP when it's due as well.

Let me explain this again for the umpteenth time...

The DNC has very significant control over who runs as a Democrat. They have admitted in court to legally cheating in the 2016 primary to favor Clinton over Sanders. Hillary Clinton was a terrible candidate who alienated progressives, and a significant number of us did not VBNMW. We believe that Sanders would have easily beaten Trump in 2016, and can do so again in 2020. Trump cannot stop a progressive from becoming the president, and in our two party system only the DNC can stop him. That is why I oppose the DMC and corporate Democrats, and not the Republicans.

Regarding the Democrats; in my opinion they should be the party on the left that represents the people. They aren't, and I am fighting to change that. While the current DNC is in power, that change won't happen.

Regarding the Republicans; I have friggin' zero expectations that they will ever represent the people. Their goal is to represent the oligarchy, and their base is beyond hope. All the fighting to change that will not fix something that is rotten to the core by design. They cannot win unless the DNC f#&%s up with really terrible candidates like it did in 2016. Trump is a truly horrid human being with no redeeming values, but he would not have won without a major assist from the DNC. All the complaining about Trump one can do will not fix anytrhing, if the DNC is allowed to continue to control the opposition that Dems offer in elections.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, Apsu said:

Let me explain this again for the umpteenth time...

The DNC has very significant control over who runs as a Democrat. They have admitted in court to legally cheating in the 2016 primary to favor Clinton over Sanders. Hillary Clinton was a terrible candidate who alienated progressives, and a significant number of us did not VBNMW. We believe that Sanders would have easily beaten Trump in 2016, and can do so again in 2020. Trump cannot stop a progressive from becoming the president, and in our two party system only the DNC can stop him. That is why I oppose the DMC and corporate Democrats, and not the Republicans.

Regarding the Democrats; in my opinion they should be the party on the left that represents the people. They aren't, and I am fighting to change that. While the current DNC is in power, that change won't happen.

Regarding the Republicans; I have friggin' zero expectations that they will ever represent the people. Their goal is to represent the oligarchy, and their base is beyond hope. All the fighting to change that will not fix something that is rotten to the core by design. They cannot win unless the DNC f#&%s up with really terrible candidates like it did in 2016. Trump is a truly horrid human being with no redeeming values, but he would not have won without a major assist from the DNC. All the complaining about Trump one can do will not fix anytrhing, if the DNC is allowed to continue to control the opposition that Dems offer in elections.

I don’t mean to sound dismissive with this analogy, but I’m really trying to understand your thought process. 

It’s as if you believe McDonalds needs to have the McRib year round to finally put Burger King out of business. But until McDonald’s makes that decision, you are perfectly fine eating a Whopper?  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

War creates dynamic situations, things do not always go as planned. I can see how this mistake was made, but we should never have been in a position to allow it to happen.

ISIS is not a homogeneous group. Different state actors support (especially the Turks and Saudis) and oppose different groups within it. Some accuse the US and our Kurdish allies of claiming military victories over friendly ISIS while allowing them to escape and redeploy elsewhere. Some of those prison camps are real prison camps, others are military bases being readied to spring into action when liberated by their Turkish allies.

12 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I don’t mean to sound dismissive with this analogy, but I’m really trying to understand your thought process. 

It’s as if you believe McDonalds needs to have the McRib year round to finally put Burger King out of business. But until McDonald’s makes that decision, you are perfectly fine eating a Whopper?  

The error in your analysis, is that I and other people like me would learn to make McRibs [a progressive candidate] ourselves and not rely on McDonalds [the DNC controlled Democrats] to supply them for us.

In doing so, the fate of Burger King [the Republicans] would not be relevant, and McDonalds [the DNC] would go out of business.

1 hour ago, Apsu said:

War creates dynamic situations, things do not always go as planned. I can see how this mistake was made, but we should never have been in a position to allow it to happen.

Can you also see how it could have been done purposefully and not as a mistake too?

• Plus1 3
57 minutes ago, Apsu said:

The error in your analysis, is that I and other people like me would learn to make McRibs [a progressive candidate] ourselves and not rely on McDonalds [the DNC controlled Democrats] to supply them for us.

In doing so, the fate of Burger King [the Republicans] would not be relevant, and McDonalds [the DNC] would go out of business.

I’m starting to understand.  Thanks for the discussion.   

I’m sure we disagree on a lot of policies.  I mostly relate to the Traditional DNC or Republicans like Kasich: “centrist” I guess...

I’m fine with “progressives” using the DNC as a vehicle for pushing ideas, some might be good. Primaries are a great place for the parties to react to changes in the base.   But I wholeheartedly disagree with the idea of taking your voice out of the general election just because a candidate doesn’t check all your boxes. And then being fine letting a candidate you know is worse for progressive beliefs take the office to prove some kind of moral point.

• Plus1 4