*** 2019 Game 7 "Expert" Picks: Nebraska at Minnesota ***

Saunders

2019 Game 7 “Expert” Picks: Nebraska @ Minnesota

—————

CollegeFootballNews.com

https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/10/minnesota-vs-nebraska-fearless-prediction-game-preview-2019

Why Nebraska Will Win

The Gophers might have woken up from a sleepy start against Illinois, but it all worked out in the end of a 40-17 win. That’s about as easy as it can get for them this year. Minnesota has only played one team – Fresno State – that’s likely going to end up in a bowl game, and this isn’t the Fresno State team of the last few seasons. Nebraska might look like it’s been struggling a bit – and it has been – but it’s faced Colorado, Ohio State, and a Northwestern team that’s struggling, but is still plucky. The Huskers have the type of rushing offense that should be able to give Minnesota problems. Georgia Southern might have a dangerous triple-option attack, but for the most part, the Gophers haven’t had to deal with anyone who can steadily run the ball well. It’s been a fight, but the Huskers can hit the occasional home run, and on the other side, have the line that can get into the backfield. The Gophers hardly have the most well-oiled of offensive machines, and any disruption is a problem.

Why Minnesota Will Win

Well THERE we go, Minnesota. The Gopher ground game only showed up when it absolutely had to early on this season, but it destroyed Illinois for 332 yards and two scores in the easiest win of the season. Rodney Smith went off for 211 yards as he keeps building and improving after missing most of last year hurt. The Huskers have to load up against the run first – this is how the Gophers want to travel – and that opens things up for Tanner Morgan, one of the Big Ten’s most unappreciated breakout stars. The sophomore had a bit of a rough passing game against Illinois, and he still threw for three scores. He’s bombing away with his great receiving corps hitting bit shot after big shot, but again, it’s about running and running some more, if possible. Minnesota dominates the time of possession battle, and Nebraska doesn’t care about keeping the clock moving. That means …

What’s Going To Happen

The Gophers should have the ball for at least 35 minutes and should be at least a +2 in turnover margin against a Nebraska team that couldn’t stop giving the ball away until finally hanging on to the ball against Northwestern. The Huskers aren’t playing well enough to overcome a slew of mistakes, but it’ll keep it close against the Minnesota offense that will stall early, and start working well late. It’ll be entertaining as the Gophers stay unbeaten.

Minnesota 34 - Nebraska 30

https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/10/college-football-expert-picks-predictions-week-7-2019/5

Gill Alexander: Minnesota*

Jeff Feyerer: Minnesota*

Pete Fiutak: Minnesota*

Dan Harralson: Nebraska

Phil Harrison: Minnesota*

Isaiah Hole: Nebraska

Will Hunter: Minnesota*

Jeremy Mauss: Minnesota*

Kegan Reaneau: Minnesota*

Johnny Rosenstein: Minnesota*

Nick Shepkowski: Minnesota*

Scott Steehn: Minnesota*

Keith Stewart: Nebraska

Joe Vitale: Minnesota

Chris Wassel: Minnesota*

Joe Williams: Minnesota*

Ben Niewoehner: Nebraska

—————

ESPN FPI

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401112233

Minnesota - 68% Win

—————

DRatings

https://www.dratings.com/predictor/ncaa-football-predictions/

Minnesota 31 - Nebraska 27

Minnesota - 65% Win

—————

FOX Sports

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/predictions?season=2019&seasonType=1&week=7&group=11

Minnesota 33 - Nebraska 31

Minnesota - 56% Win

—————

Bill Connelly SP+

https://twitter.com/ESPN_BillC/status/1181906309425307648

Minnesota - 70% Win

Minnesota 35 - Nebraska 26

—————

Big Red Wrap-Up

http://netnebraska.org/interactive-multimedia/sports/big-red-wrap-minnesota-prediction-6

Mike’l Severe: Minnesota 28 - Nebraska 23

Jay Moore: Minnesota 24 - Nebraska 21

Damon Benning: Nebraska 22 - Minnesota 20

—————

The Athletic - Stewart Mandel

https://theathletic.com/1281260/2019/10/10/stewart-mandels-week-7-college-football-picks-2

This is a tough one. I strongly suspect the Gophers are not as stellar as their 5-0 record, but Nebraska is arguably more mediocre than its 4-2 record suggests. However, the Huskers’ defense has yet to show it can handle a decent offense, and the Gophers have some weapons in RB Rodney Smith and WRs Tyler Johnson and Rashod Bateman. 

Minnesota 38 - Nebraska 31

The Athletic - Bruce Feldman

https://theathletic.com/1282372/2019/10/10/bruce-feldman-week-7-college-football-picks

The Golden Gophers are coming off their most impressive showing of the season, a rout of a mediocre Illinois team. Now they face a Huskers team that blew them out last season. Tanner Morgan has been playing well, but my hunch here is that Nebraska, coming off an emotional win last week, is ready to pull the upset. 
Nebraska 20 - Minnesota 17

—————

More to come...

• Plus1 1

I personally think that most people are picking the Gophers simply by looking at their record compared to ours.  5-0 is more impressive than 3-2.

However, as I've said in other threads, there are reasons to believe we have a good chance of winning this game.  I wish the weather was going to be normal....but, that's an issue for both teams.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Saunders said:

The Gophers should have the ball for at least 35 minutes and should be at least a +2 in turnover margin

Bad as we've been, only 2 of our games have had that large of a turnover margin...

2 hours ago, Saunders said:

Damon Benning: Nebraska 22 - Northwestern 20

Benning over here predicting last week's game... :dumdum

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
38 minutes ago, lo country said:

So no one thinks we have a chance....NU plays a solid 4 quarters I think we win.  In a close one.  Be anxious to see how healthy we are.  Wonder if Martinez starts, will Frost sit him if he struggles?

Some are picking us, and the ones that aren't are predicting a close game. I think a lot of the experts question our defense based on Illinois, but we held them to 299 yards - scoring drives of 2, 14, and 30, and 37 yards will make it look like the defense really struggled. Obviously you've got to stop them on a short field sometimes, but as long as we don't fumble 4 times inside our own 40 we're not giving up a ton of points.

• Plus1 4

As far as I know, we're completely healthy on defense. I'm not really seeing anything about this game that says Minnesota puts up more than 30 points on us.

But if Martinez doesn't play, Washington has to step up and have one of his better games of his young career so far to bail us out of this one.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Some are picking us, and the ones that aren't are predicting a close game. I think a lot of the experts question our defense based on Illinois, but we held them to 299 yards - scoring drives of 2, 14, and 30, and 37 yards will make it look like the defense really struggled. Obviously you've got to stop them on a short field sometimes, but as long as we don't fumble 4 times inside our own 40 we're not giving up a ton of points.

And we gave up 66 yards and a TD on one of the first few plays of the game. If we can limit the big play we should do well on D

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, everybody knows my name said:

Predictions: put em in your pipe and smoke em.  If Minnesota wins it'll be because the passing game and the running game both finally worked in the same game.  And if Nebraska wins, it will be because _______________________. (finish the sentence for me)

We don't just hand them the game.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, everybody knows my name said:

Predictions: put em in your pipe and smoke em.  If Minnesota wins it'll be because the passing game and the running game both finally worked in the same game.  And if Nebraska wins, it will be because _______________________. (finish the sentence for me)

....NU scored more points and Minny sucks.

still have fond memories of the game back around 1980 win every play was a TD for NU

in all seriousness. 

... NU plays fast tempo with 1 of 2 backup QBs and Minny D has no answer in the final 22 minutes of the game due to the pace of play.

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, everybody knows my name said:

The turnover margin is even or in Nebraska's favor. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1