McCaffrey vs. Minnesota

I don't think Martinez is going to play against Minnesota, so that means Vedral will start and get most, if not all, of the action.  However, in Sam McKewon's 3 keys of the game he posted online today, Sam mentioned the possibility of NU using Luke McCaffrey for a few plays or packages on Saturday.  I think that's an interesting possibility.  I expect Vedral to be steady, but not spectacular on Saturday.  If there is a time where NU needs a big play or wants to try and get McCaffrey's speed on the field, I think the Minnesota game would be a good opportunity to use Luke.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't think Martinez is going to play against Minnesota, so that means Vedral will start and get most, if not all, of the action.  However, in Sam McKewon's 3 keys of the game he posted online today, Sam mentioned the possibility of NU using Luke McCaffrey for a few plays or packages on Saturday.  I think that's an interesting possibility.  I expect Vedral to be steady, but not spectacular on Saturday.  If there is a time where NU needs a big play or wants to try and get McCaffrey's speed on the field, I think the Minnesota game would be a good opportunity to use Luke.

First question: What makes you think Martinez wont play?

The big question I would have is if you think McCaffrey can make a difference you either have to pick your spot when you play him moving forward(only 3 more games or he cant redshirt) or you just burn the redshirt and you use him moving forward.

I dont mind the idea if you can create 5-10 plays where he can be used in a way that keeps MN on their toes.

I think Vedral has enough speed to still be effective in running what you might want to run with McCaffrey. If you are looking for blazing speed, you might as well go wildcat and use Robinson. 

2 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

First question: What makes you think Martinez wont play?

The big question I would have is if you think McCaffrey can make a difference you either have to pick your spot when you play him moving forward(only 3 more games or he cant redshirt) or you just burn the redshirt and you use him moving forward.

I dont mind the idea if you can create 5-10 plays where he can be used in a way that keeps MN on their toes.

I think Vedral has enough speed to still be effective in running what you might want to run with McCaffrey. If you are looking for blazing speed, you might as well go wildcat and use Robinson. 

Based on how Martinez limped off the field against NW, and how Vedral and McCaffrey have done the press conferences this week, I think Martinez is not going to play.  Unless Martinez is out for a significant amount of time, McCaffrey most likely wouldn't be needed for more than 2 of the final 5 games.  So, picking a spot with McCaffrey against Minny may be smart.  Also, he's getting more reps in practice this week, so he's probably entering the game more comfortable and confident with the offense.  From what I understand, McCaffrey has as much (if not more) blazing speed as Robinson.  Why not use them both on the field at the same time?

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Based on how Martinez limped off the field against NW, and how Vedral and McCaffrey have done the press conferences this week, I think Martinez is not going to play.  Unless Martinez is out for a significant amount of time, McCaffrey most likely wouldn't be needed for more than 2 of the final 5 games.  So, picking a spot with McCaffrey against Minny may be smart.  Also, he's getting more reps in practice this week, so he's probably entering the game more comfortable and confident with the offense.  From what I understand, McCaffrey has as much (if not more) blazing speed as Robinson.  Why not use them both on the field at the same time?

I would lay money down that McCaffrey has more straight line speed than Wandale, probably not as sudden as Wandale, though.... I'll be real curious to see how Luke is used during the junior and senior seasons of Martinez. I can't imagine he doesn't see some snaps at QB, and in the slot.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I would lay money down that McCaffrey has more straight line speed than Wandale, probably not as sudden as Wandale, though.... I'll be real curious to see how Luke is used during the junior and senior seasons of Martinez. I can't imagine he doesn't see some snaps at QB, and in the slot.

In a very quick/unofficial google search here is what I could find:

Wandale Robinson ran a 4.22- 40 at the Best of the Midwest Combine: https://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-football-high/wandale-robinson-posts-362831.html

Luke McCafrey- 4.5 in the 40: https://247sports.com/Article/Luke-McCaffrey-commits-to-Nebraska-Cornhuskers-football-recruiting-118779994/

I know that Wandales 4.22 is highly unlikely, just sharing what I found.

That being said, straight line speed, I will take Wandale. 

We will only have 6 games left after this (if we go to a bowl). If the coaches think he's a difference maker, use him to get bowl eligible. Then if we are in position to try to get into the B1G championship, it might be worth burning his redshirt.

If we happen to lose a couple of these winnable games, burning his redshirt isn't worth it anyway. So we might as well use him to win now if he's needed. Once Martinez gets back I doubt he'll be playing.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

Didn't need to do that. Bunch is still on the team.

They just didn't think of it on the spot.

Frost said that when Vedral came in that the QB coach said "What do we do if his helmet comes off?" and Frost said with no pause "We go with Luke"

Now, I don't know if that is 100% true but that is what Frost said.

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Frost said that when Vedral came in that the QB coach said "What do we do if his helmet comes off?" and Frost said with no pause "We go with Luke"

I guess the argument is whether that one down was important enough to chance burning Luke's redshirt if the highly unlikely happens which is that Martinez and Vedral are both out at the same time for 3 more games.

• Plus1 2
19 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

In a very quick/unofficial google search here is what I could find:

Wandale Robinson ran a 4.22- 40 at the Best of the Midwest Combine: https://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-football-high/wandale-robinson-posts-362831.html

Luke McCafrey- 4.5 in the 40: https://247sports.com/Article/Luke-McCaffrey-commits-to-Nebraska-Cornhuskers-football-recruiting-118779994/

I know that Wandales 4.22 is highly unlikely, just sharing what I found.

That being said, straight line speed, I will take Wandale. 

It'd be close.

Zero chance Wandale runs anywhere in 4.2, or 4.3 for that matter. My guess would be between 4.48-4.52

8 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I thought it was more general, like who goes in if Vedral is hurt. In which case McCaffrey makes sense - but I bet if they'd thought of the one play helmet possibility it would've been Bunch. 

1 minute ago, Husker in WI said:

I thought it was more general, like who goes in if Vedral is hurt. In which case McCaffrey makes sense - but I bet if they'd thought of the one play helmet possibility it would've been Bunch. 

Maybe but they have plenty of time to think about it, they can also call a TO and Vedral can go right back in...I feel like they were just going with the next guy.