McCaffrey vs. Minnesota

36 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I think my main complaint about the staff this year is the handling of redshirts. They talk about it a lot, but Rahmir has used 2 games for something like 10 plays. McCaffrey used one for one play, although like you mentioned I think the one play scenario caught them off guard and they'd told McCaffrey he was the guy if Vedral went down. And Chase/Nance aren't ready for any game action? 

I know they want them to be fully prepared, but they're is nothing wrong with giving them a subset of the game plan to focus on. If it's only a couple games, the specific plays they're used for won't be enough for other teams to key on. 

Hickman last week on ST's......Confuses me as well.  Using limited reps for ST play.  I'd be throwing anyone in the receivers/TE room out there to see who could be a difference maker.

11 minutes ago, lo country said:

Hickman last week on ST's......Confuses me as well.  Using limited reps for ST play.  I'd be throwing anyone in the receivers/TE room out there to see who could be a difference maker.

What games have NU been in where the team could afford to the waste plays and risk mistakes by playing a true freshman at TE or WR?  Having them play on ST gets them involved in the game and gets a taste of being on the field.  

• Fire 2
7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

What games have NU been in where the team could afford to the waste plays and risk mistakes by playing a true freshman at TE or WR?  Having them play on ST gets them involved in the game and gets a taste of being on the field.  

None.  My point being he was highly recruited.  Besides JD and Wan'dale, no other receiver has double digit receptions.  Granted he is a TE, but that group, allegedly a strength in the pre-season hype really hasn't done much either.  Maybe the kid is a gamer and can make a difference.  Give the O a spark.  IMO, special teams won't let you see how he runs routes, how he catches in traffic, uses his body, boxes out a DB etc...against D1 players (not on his own team) vs HS.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I wasn't yelling!!!!! I was agreeing with you.

Reminds me a lot of Ameer. Quick in small spaces, not much breakaway speed.

He pulled away from 2 defenders for the first TD, he looked like he was looking to make moves when he was tackled from behind

9 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think if you're going to play them you might as well have a package of plays they are comfortable with to run. NW was one of the games picked for Rahmir, so I assume the coaches thought he could help but he didn't get s chance to. We can substitute from play to play, and if they haven't been on the field I don't think that would show a tendency. Or use the first drive of each half, assuming those are scripted. 

Hickman I get just doing special teams, but skill guys and qbs I'd like to see touch the ball if they're using a game. 

4 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Didn't need to do that. Bunch is still on the team.

They just didn't think of it on the spot. 

According to McCaffrey, Bunch is the one who told him to get his butt into the game.

We also burned a game for Rahmir Johnson and I'm underwhelmed by that decision, too.

33 minutes ago, lo country said:

None.  My point being he was highly recruited.  Besides JD and Wan'dale, no other receiver has double digit receptions.  Granted he is a TE, but that group, allegedly a strength in the pre-season hype really hasn't done much either.  Maybe the kid is a gamer and can make a difference.  Give the O a spark.  IMO, special teams won't let you see how he runs routes, how he catches in traffic, uses his body, boxes out a DB etc...against D1 players (not on his own team) vs HS.

Yes, he was highly recruited, but he wasn’t ready to be a regular contributor this year at TE. He needed to put on a lot of weight and strength on his frame, so he can be a solid blocker and receiver at TE. The 4 game rule allows Hickman to get into games at ST, and maybe get into blowouts at TE. But, there are guys who are much better thank Hickman at TE right now. I’m a big Hickman fan, too. He should be able to contribute next year at TE, and be a regular for another 2-3 years after that. 

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, knapplc said:

According to McCaffrey, Bunch is the one who told him to get his butt into the game.

We also burned a game for Rahmir Johnson and I'm underwhelmed by that decision, too.

I honestly don’t think McCaffrey playing that one snap against NW will be an issue with him burning a redshirt this year.  Rahmir Johnson is the one guy who I thought could be used in better situations, and even burn his redshirt this year.  His snaps against NW were puzzling, and then didn’t play at all in the 2nd half after Mo returned. 

5 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't think Martinez is going to play against Minnesota, so that means Vedral will start and get most, if not all, of the action.  However, in Sam McKewon's 3 keys of the game he posted online today, Sam mentioned the possibility of NU using Luke McCaffrey for a few plays or packages on Saturday.  I think that's an interesting possibility.  I expect Vedral to be steady, but not spectacular on Saturday.  If there is a time where NU needs a big play or wants to try and get McCaffrey's speed on the field, I think the Minnesota game would be a good opportunity to use Luke.

I'm not thinking that a cold, possibly damp night is the place to be breaking out trick plays with a guy who hasn't taken a lot of reps this year.  It's possible, but I'm not holding my breath.

Probably just McKeown throwing out random ideas again so that when one of them hits he can brag about calling it ahead of time.

• Plus1 1
50 minutes ago, Salsa Red said:

He pulled away from 2 defenders for the first TD, he looked like he was looking to make moves when he was tackled from behind

He wasn't pulling away from that DB on the TD, and the DB on the shovel pass was gaining on him pretty quick. He was having to make a move because he was being chased down.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

When someone says something other than "oh, wait until you see him run", then I'll be in on him. 

If you watch his high school film, he's a good passer.....but hard to tell how it will translate to college. Next year's guy Logan Smothers looks good running and passing as well....in high school. McCaffrey is rated higher and had more offers, but probably as an athlete.

3 hours ago, Hayseed said:

If you watch his high school film, he's a good passer.....but hard to tell how it will translate to college. Next year's guy Logan Smothers looks good running and passing as well....in high school. McCaffrey is rated higher and had more offers, but probably as an athlete.

Smothers will come into the college game way more polished than McCaffrey, who was used primarily as a wr up to his senior season since his high school already had a top-notch qb. But he will have had another year under Frost and Verduzco that Logan hasn't had. Should be a very interesting race when AM leaves.