McCaffrey vs. Minnesota

15 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

It'd be close.

Zero chance Wandale runs anywhere in 4.2, or 4.3 for that matter. My guess would be between 4.48-4.52

I get that manual timed 40's can be off but you arent basing your guess on anything other than your opinions when an article clearly states what he ran... of course it might be bias but I buy that more than your eye test.

Ill take Wandale. 

It's not really controversy. McCaffrey is an electrifying athlete, Vedral is not. We might need an extra spark Saturday if two of our best offensive playmakers are injured. You are essentially talking about adding a wildcat set for McCaffrey to try and make some big runs out of. Its not trickery or controversy, thats just gameplan. Not sayingbwe will do it, but it really isn't crazy or far fetched imo.

50 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I get that manual timed 40's can be off but you arent basing your guess on anything other than your opinions when an article clearly states what he ran... of course it might be bias but I buy that more than your eye test.

Ill take Wandale. 

I don't feel like it's some kind of bold proclamation to suggest he doesn't run a low 4.2 40, especially when it seems pretty obvious that it's probably not true.... At least not right now. Wasn't Taylor Martinez a mid 4.3 guy as a FR? Freshman Taylor Martinez would outpace Wandale in a foot race down a football field, and  I'm not sure how close it'd really be.

• Plus1 1

It's behind the OWH paywall, but if you are a subscriber, here is a good write-up about the 4-game redshirt rule and how NU is applying it this year.  https://www.omaha.com/huskers/plus/huskers-discuss-redshirt-rule-weekly-but-things-change-luke-mccaffrey/article_def65ec2-018b-5a93-9d55-c1bbb983bc75.html

One thing I found interesting is that the coaches like to rotate different true freshmen into the special teams.  Those guys are DBs, LB's, and TE's.  For example, Javin Wright played against Illinois, Myles Farmer played against Ohio State, Chris Hickman played against Northwestern.

Also, someone like Rahmir Johnson is a back who would have played all season before this 4-game redshirt rule, but now the coaches want to try to preserve his redshirt.  I like that all of the linemen (offense and defense) are on track to redshirt.  Those are guys who need a full year in the weight room to be the contributors the coaches want.

Some may think the coaches don't have a plan, but this article points out that they think about the 4-game redshirt rule and how they want to use players EVERY week.

• Plus1 1
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

It's behind the OWH paywall, but if you are a subscriber, here is a good write-up about the 4-game redshirt rule and how NU is applying it this year.  https://www.omaha.com/huskers/plus/huskers-discuss-redshirt-rule-weekly-but-things-change-luke-mccaffrey/article_def65ec2-018b-5a93-9d55-c1bbb983bc75.html

One thing I found interesting is that the coaches like to rotate different true freshmen into the special teams.  Those guys are DBs, LB's, and TE's.  For example, Javin Wright played against Illinois, Myles Farmer played against Ohio State, Chris Hickman played against Northwestern.

Also, someone like Rahmir Johnson is a back who would have played all season before this 4-game redshirt rule, but now the coaches want to try to preserve his redshirt.  I like that all of the linemen (offense and defense) are on track to redshirt.  Those are guys who need a full year in the weight room to be the contributors the coaches want.

Some may think the coaches don't have a plan, but this article points out that they think about the 4-game redshirt rule and how they want to use players EVERY week.

It is interesting, and I think lineman and defensive guys playing special teams are the way to go if they're going to redshirt. I still think skill guys (if you really think they can help) should get the ball in their hands during the games they play. But defensive guys you have to be sure they know the whole defense otherwise they'll get picked on, and like you said lineman need a year if at all possible. I get the coaches have a plan, I think even they would admit things haven't gone according to that plan for Rahmir at least.

And I'll stop ranting after this one, but receiver really gets me. Walters admitted none of our regulars can be a consistent deep threat other than Woodyard - holding my breath he shows up, I believe he's been injured. Then points to Houston and Nance as guys who "will be" deep threats. Ok, so if we're smart we have 8 games of having a legitimate deep threat at receiver. I don't really care if teams know they're just trying to take the top off the defense when they're in the game, even that can open up intermediate passes. I don't need them to know the whole offense, I need them to play 15-20 offensive snaps in 4 games each to at least threaten the defense with a deep ball.

2 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

And I'll stop ranting after this one, but receiver really gets me. Walters admitted none of our regulars can be a consistent deep threat other than Woodyard - holding my breath he shows up, I believe he's been injured. Then points to Houston and Nance as guys who "will be" deep threats. Ok, so if we're smart we have 8 games of having a legitimate deep threat at receiver. I don't really care if teams know they're just trying to take the top off the defense when they're in the game, even that can open up intermediate passes. I don't need them to know the whole offense, I need them to play 15-20 offensive snaps in 4 games each to at least threaten the defense with a deep ball.

I can't disagree with that.  However, if 2AM doesn't have time to allow a deep threat to "take the top off".....there really isn't a reason to force having one of those on the field.  It possibly is better then to have another receiver that's good in short to mid range passes....or a TE that can help block.

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I can't disagree with that.  However, if 2AM doesn't have time to allow a deep threat to "take the top off".....there really isn't a reason to force having one of those on the field.  It possibly is better then to have another receiver that's good in short to mid range passes....or a TE that can help block.

Yeah, good points. And technically if we win the West we have 8 games remaining, so there's still time. I will say I think the line problems are much more the snaps and penalties than pass protection, outside of OSU and the second half against Colorado. Martinez hasn't been constantly running for his life outside of those games.

4 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Yeah, good points. And technically if we win the West we have 8 games remaining, so there's still time. I will say I think the line problems are much more the snaps and penalties than pass protection, outside of OSU and the second half against Colorado. Martinez hasn't been constantly running for his life outside of those games.

Are we watching the same games? Martinez's pocket/run plays are constantly getting blown up in the backfield

• Plus1 2