McCaffrey vs. Minnesota

Frost scouted and came up with a great game plan against Minnesota last year. I trust him to design whatever we need to win this week. 

I expect Martinez to start based on his practice this week and if not, have confidence in Vedral to get the job done. Doubt we will see McCaffrey unless Vedral gets hurt.

1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Are we watching the same games? Martinez's pocket/run plays are constantly getting blown up in the backfield

Run plays sure - I dunno, I'll have to rewatch them but BTN keeps taking down the 40 minute versions. My impression has been he sometimes flees the pocket instead of stepping up and standing in. I have no problem with that since it gives a run threat instead of potentially getting trapped, but feels like more of a choice than the defense forcing it. Definitely could be wrong though.

53 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I don't feel like it's some kind of bold proclamation to suggest he doesn't run a low 4.2 40, especially when it seems pretty obvious that it's probably not true.... At least not right now. Wasn't Taylor Martinez a mid 4.3 guy as a FR? Freshman Taylor Martinez would outpace Wandale in a foot race down a football field, and  I'm not sure how close it'd really be.

I am not claiming Wandale can run a 4.2... I am just simply saying the data we actually have shows Wandale has run a faster time than Luke.

Wandale getting caught the other day could be for a variety of reasons but I think the idea that he doesnt have straight line speed is false.

Obviously this is a silly argument. I just cant get out of my own way to not argue back.

Just now, Minnesota_husker said:

I am not claiming Wandale can run a 4.2... I am just simply saying the data we actually have shows Wandale has run a faster time than Luke.

Wandale getting caught the other day could be for a variety of reasons but I think the idea that he doesnt have straight line speed is false.

Obviously this is a silly argument. I just cant get out of my own way to not argue back.

Ah, gotcha. I must of misinterpreted where you were coming from. I was arguing against the 4.2, not so much Wandale being faster than Luke.... That very well may be.

If & when McCaffrey comes in, the defense will probably change their play call into a blitz, expecting him to run a draw. So what I could see being really successful is having him throw a really quick WR screen in those situations.

I'm going to be honest, though...I don't really want him out there throwing the ball much at all. 

37 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Yeah, good points. And technically if we win the West we have 8 games remaining, so there's still time. I will say I think the line problems are much more the snaps and penalties than pass protection, outside of OSU and the second half against Colorado. Martinez hasn't been constantly running for his life outside of those games.

I agree,  Martinez has had some happy feet.  Three Mississippi's is pretty good protection for the most part. The bad snaps are messing up the running game more than the passing game.  The pass pro has been all right, not spectacular but all right.  

As far as penalties are concerned I think our holding calls are down.  Don't have any numbers, but I think they are.  The 5 yarders are as big a killer as anything.  Going from second and 4 to second and 9 really changes what you have to do.  

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

He wasn't pulling away from that DB on the TD, and the DB on the shovel pass was gaining on him pretty quick. He was having to make a move because he was being chased down.

There were three guys near him on the shovel pass. #18 tackled him from directly behind WR didn't even see him - the move being discussed was for the 2 players on each side.

On 10/10/2019 at 3:15 PM, B.B. Hemingway said:

I would lay money down that McCaffrey has more straight line speed than Wandale, probably not as sudden as Wandale, though.... I'll be real curious to see how Luke is used during the junior and senior seasons of Martinez. I can't imagine he doesn't see some snaps at QB, and in the slot.

I'm thinking that if 2AM continues to play as he has two things will happen and neither are desireable.

On 10/10/2019 at 7:41 PM, Husker in WI said:

I mean it came across more as an embarrassed joke than an admission. He was throttling down to make a move when he was caught. That being said the DB was catching up before that, so I agree he might be quicker than fast . And show me a high schooler who runs a 4.2 and I'll show you a coach with a real fast finger on the stop watch. 

You hardly see that the college level either but you do know when you see it.  I remember watching Trindon Holliday at LSU.  Everyone else might have been just as well wearing snow boots.  He was gliding out there and just running by people.

I don't think McCaffrey will play in these conditions. How he would play is far more of a mystery than even Vedral. I could actually see him coming in as a receiver rather than a QB, but I don't see that happening either. I'm not sure why Bunch isn't the 3rd string having far more experience? Probably just politics.