*** Official Minnesota Game Thread ***

Mavric

2 minutes ago, 3rd and long said:

Yeah, sorry about that, wasn’t called for. 

But you did use exactly what I said in your argument. 

I agree they played out of position all night long. That was obvious even to oblivious fans. But you cannot tell me they weren't tired. Minnesota was so much more physical than us. Being beaten physically drive after drive sucks. It can and does wear you down. I posted 3 or 4 days ago worried about Minnesota's run game. I suspected our run defense being weak. They just gashed us when they couldn't really run the ball that great against their previous 5 opponents except for maybe Illinois.

Either way you or I paint this, it SUCKS. Period. Losing sucks for everybody involved.

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, ReddyRed said:

Maybe you're right. Unfortunately, I just don't know who is using the term blue blood with respect to the Huskers anymore. Maybe their parents or grandparents, but I doubt it. The B1G had its own blue bloods way before 2011, and Nebraska's done nothing to join that B1G club. I don't think anyone's "taking it out" on Nebraska anymore. Why would they? To them, it's just another conference game, like playing Minnesota, Indiana, Purdue, etc. Oh well, maybe things will get better (seems like we say that every year now). Cheers.

I live in Michigan, and let me tell you, nobody gives us a second thought. We are a Passover game. Nobody talks about us, we are completely irrelevant. It’s a hard truth, but it is true. We actually get more respect from espn as being a storied program than we do from any team in the big ten. We are like playing Illinois or Maryland to the rest of the big ten. We may have some plucky games, but no real serious threat. 

• Thanks 1

Frost was given a 7 year deal.  It might take all 7 years to get back, but being this disgruntled already in the mid part of year 2 is kind of cry baby like.  We have had opportunities to hire elite coaches, and for some reason they never rang the bell to even inquire about it.  Not a one.  Frost is the closet thing to that to happen thus far.  Maybe Frost isn't that guy, but to a man, each person in this site and that sit in that stadium during Riley's last season wanted Frost here based on what he was doing at UCF.  Its time to find some form of patience.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Frost was given a 7 year deal.  It might take all 7 years to get back, but being this disgruntled already in the mid part of year 2 is kind of cry baby like.  We have had opportunities to hire elite coaches, and for some reason they never rang the bell to even inquire about it.  Not a one.  Frost is the closet thing to that to happen thus far.  Maybe Frost isn't that guy, but to a man, each person in this site and that sit in that stadium during Riley's last season wanted Frost here based on what he was doing at UCF.  Its time to find some form of patience.  

You’re correct. And I still think he’s our guy. 

But the thing that bothers me the mental part. The discipline, penalties, etc.  We honestly don’t look any different in that area than we did under Riley. Thats not a talent issue, that’s a coaching issue. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I used to let losses affect my day/night. Almost miss those days. 

Told my wife almost the exact same thing just a few minutes ago.  We used to lose and the state would be p!$$ed off.  Now, we make excuses and hope to go to a bowl.  I don’t even mind missing games anymore.  Sad times

2 minutes ago, 3rd and long said:

You’re correct. And I still think he’s our guy. 

But the thing that bothers me the mental part. The discipline, penalties, etc.  We honestly don’t look any different in that area than we did under Riley. Thats not a talent issue, that’s a coaching issue. 

I think he is too, but he is going to have to make some adult decisions. Are the people on his staff really the best he can do? He may need to sever relationships in order to get this team where it needs to go. Is he willing to do that?  Only time will tell. And it could be the difference between him being the coach here for the next 20 years, or the next 5. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
44 minutes ago, HuskerJax said:

I don’t buy this entirely. A team just needs to be consistently good at something. We are good at nothing, no identity, osu passes a lot, so does psu. We just are not good at anything

I agree.  If your offense cannot run, you have to pass.   Just need a QB that can get passes off in 2-3 seconds since the line is no good.   Crappy weather is a dodge, it seems that the good college and pro teams in the northern so okay.  Ideally, you pass to force changes in the defense so some running plays will go.  In our case, the Husker line is crap so passing is the best hope.

Its time to sit some guys.  Its time to move on from others, if we can do that without burning RS.  Sure, if we have some RS to burn for the final remaining games, use those 4 games up, but we are not winning anything this year.  Keep some of those RS for the bowl game as well so we see more after a few more practices in December.  This staff is building for the future, not just this season or maybe even next season, but the future.  Sure I think most coaches could go the Juco route and build for one season and do pretty good, but if your going to build for every season, it takes time to build those blocks the right way.  Dr. Tom took a few years to get things established, but once it was, it was 16-17 years of being a contender.  Thats what were looking for.

Just now, Frustrated said:

Maybe Frost isn't the guy...

I think we need to give him more than 1.5 years to make that determination. A lot of people wanted Osborne gone after a few years too. There is something to be said for continuity, especially at a place like Nebraska that is already in a recruiting deficit

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, HuskerJax said:

I think we need to give him more than 1.5 years to make that determination. A lot of people wanted Osborne gone after a few years too. There is something to be said for continuity, especially at a place like Nebraska that is already in a recruiting deficit

Gave you a +1 for honesty.  Hard to disagree with what you said.