Board update on Monday

BigRedMax

1 hour ago, grandpasknee said:

Why the necessity to stop ad blocker.  How did this site run for 8 years without forcing ad blocker to be disabled?  From a user, and from an information security professional, turning off ad-blocker is akin to waving my fanny in the air and hollering "take me big boy, I'm yours!"

It's 16 years, not 8. This site was created on May 13, 2003. Advertising as a revenue model is used by the vast majority of online sites. The previous owners of this site ran it at a loss for 16 years. With the current model in place it will take a minimum of two years to recoup what I paid them for the site. By blocking that revenue model you are essentially telling the people that provided this site to you at a financial loss that you don't appreciate what they did for the past 16 years. 

They came to me asking me to either buy the site or work with them to set up an advertising model with a strong preference to sell so they could spend more time with family. We agreed upon their desire to sell rather than continue and came to terms that we both agreed would remain confidential. Either way this site was going to have an advertising revenue model. 

As an internet security professional do you visit just about every news site with you ad blocker on. Does the OWH and LJS allow you to view their content with your ad blocker on? Do you have an Alexa or Google Home? Do you use Facebook?  Do you use GPS on your phone? Do you use a web browser to surf the internet? If you surf the internet with or without ad blockers Google, Apple, Facebook and others have a profile on each and every one of us. They use that to target ads that they believe best fit those profiles. It's a fact of life. Bottom line is this site would cease to exist without a revenue model to support it. 

• Plus1 1