2020 Coaching Staff

13 hours ago, gorp512 said:

True. It could be said that his strong loyalty is the biggest reason SF is even coaching the Huskers and not Florida or an SEC school. 

Also, I believe it was reported that UF was not willing to let Frost bring all of his assistants to Gainesville.   I think they made a fantastic hire in Mullen so it probably worked out well for them.  I can see the decline in MSU with Moorhead at the helm.

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

There is something that baffles me...It Lamar Jackson.  He was complete garbage just over a year ago.  He has really turned it around.  He’s a decent football player now.

He has turned it around, but I think if any other player that has a transformation like he has.

Could it be the talent and depth is just that bad?

I think you have a point.  I'm not going to be super critical until he has his 4 or 5 year recruiting classes in place.  At the same time look at what Matt Rhule has done at Baylor in two years.  They were a smoldering trash fire after the awful Briles scandal, about as low as you can be.  

When we play Wisconsin, if Chinander has 2 high safeties 20 yards from the LOS, he needs to be gone. Before the end of the game. That's just surrendering and flat out embarrassing for a D1 coordinator. Taylor will eclipse Gordon's 408 for sure.

I was impressed that he went with a 4 front after the Gophers gashed us for a quarter and a half, but he kept going away from it, and they would gash us every time. 

If we were really serious about pulling out all the stops, no fear of failure, we'd run a 4-4 or true 5 front and focus all our effort on stopping Taylor. Play man outside, damn the torpedoes and big-boy ball at the LOS. It's about PRIDE and not letting ANYONE step on our field and run all over us. Have some damn PRIDE, Scott!

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

When we play Wisconsin, if Chinander has 2 high safeties 20 yards from the LOS, he needs to be gone. Before the end of the game. That's just surrendering and flat out embarrassing for a D1 coordinator. Taylor will eclipse Gordon's 408 for sure.

I was impressed that he went with a 4 front after the Gophers gashed us for a quarter and a half, but he kept going away from it, and they would gash us every time. 

If we were really serious about pulling out all the stops, no fear of failure, we'd run a 4-4 or true 5 front and focus all our effort on stopping Taylor. Play man outside, damn the torpedoes and big-boy ball at the LOS. It's about PRIDE and not letting ANYONE step on our field and run all over us. Have some damn PRIDE, Scott!

...... and i thought it was about WINNING

I think ideally after two years frost and moos sit down and have an honest conversation in the offseason about which coaches are good enough to get us to where we want to be. Again i dont think 2 years is enough time to rebuild Nebraska but it is enough to give you an idea of what kind of potential the coaches have. 

With that being said i doubt it will happen. Nebraska isn't the kind of school where you are going to land a dc like grinch or steele. Those guys are proven commodities and go to big boy schools that have the best athletes and where you don't have to rebuild.  Nebraska is the kind of place where promising at best unproven coaches learn on the job. The best we can hope for is that they eventually learn how to do their job. Unless they leave for another job nobody is going anywhere.

19 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

...... and i thought it was about WINNING

Sure it is. If we give up 408 again, we AREN'T GOING TO WIN. It's also about making a statement that we aren't going to get ran over anymore. Get kids with some real desire out there. That display against Minnesota, who hasn't really ran on anyone, was absolutely pathetic, going through the motions CRAP. If he was really serious, Frost should've pulled all of them minus maybe Barry and Domann to send a message that we don't accept that kind of lackluster effort. 

3 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

This thread is like the person that went on a diet and quit after one day because the scale didn't change.

This might be true if this were the 1st or 2nd game in 2018...unfortunately this is year 2 and our stats against common competition are worse overall.  Against Colorado, Illinois, Ohio State, Northwestern and Minnesota here are some key metrics to show regression this year relative to 2018.

• We are 2-3 against these 5 teams year over year, but the 3 losses in 2018 were by 5 points in less.  In 2019 two of our losses have been by 27 points and 41 points.
  • The average points Nebraska scored in 2018 against these 5 teams was 39.4.  The average in 2019 is 20.0.  
  • The average points allowed year over year is roughly the same (33.2 to 32.8) so no real improvement in that regard
  • The average total yards Nebraska had in 2018 against these 5 teams was 552.4.  The average in 2019 is 398.4.  We have 154 fewer yards per game against the same competition in 2019 than we did in 2018, and this is a full year into Frost's system with more of his players and schemes that have been employed.

Overall the data shows regression in many categories, with the offense showing the most regression while the defense is about the same as 2018 from these key metrics.  I didn't even bother looking at special teams as we all know that has gone downhill.

I don't think most Husker fans expected to win the West in Year 2 of Frost, but we certainly expected to see a positive trajectory...not a trajectory showing the team is getting worse.  

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, TheSker said:

You don't know where to find recruiting rankings, including for players like Benhart and Robinson, or it's just easier and more fun to be a critic?

Yes, those 2 and a couple others are great gets.

But I believe your words were “recruiting better at all positions since the 90s”.  So where’s the proof on that?

• Plus1 1