2020 Coaching Staff

4 minutes ago, Pedro G said:

Speaking of Osborne, maybe S.F. needs to have a long talk with him and gets some possible feedback. As for the coaches, stability is important. But if this poor play continues this and next season, then, yes, perhaps some coaching changes should be considered. But I think three years would be a fairer assessment  rather than two for both the coaches and the players. But T.O. studied psychology. Hopefully he has some thought on what’s going on. 

I would honestly say hes probably done that already.  No one is going to be as calm with Scott Frost as Tom will be.  But to be fair since scott is not only his friend and tom is scotts mentor hes probably saying, just tune out the nose and keep up with your plan.  These husker fans are a pesky bunch.

• Plus1 3

20 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

A small reason might be that he isn’t ready or isn’t as good as we hope. Just throwing it out there. 

That could be said about everyone we recruit. 

Im not a big fan of saving a player so you can have him for the future.  If the player is good enough to play and can help you win,  you play him. 

I will add to this...we have a few freshman that could honestly help us right now and they have been brought up in conversations.  Rahmir Johnson is probably one of the fastest guys on the team and we want to save him.  We have a stud freshman safety that is the most athletic out of all our DBs and we are saving him.  Benhart is a manchild and could honestly do no worse then Farniok but we want to save him.  There are a few others but I wont continue with this cause it wont do any good. 

5 hours ago, TheSker said:

Again.

You can look up both composite rankings and individual player rankings.

Martinez

Washington

Benhart

Heinrich

Robinson X2 

Hannah

Pola-Gates

I think Callahan's first class is probably the closest.

And being higher than a Riley or Pelini class isn't difficult, right?  So that covers the most part of two decades......

Again.

We are bringing in talented guys, I won't question that.  But saying we have recruited "better at all positions since the 90s" is not a factual statement.

If you are talking the highest 3 year average recruiting ranking since the 90s, still not right.  Cally averaged #16 from 05-07, and #17 from 04-06.  We would have to have a top 10 class this year for that to be true.

If you are talking highest rated player at each position since the 90s, that is not true.  They haven't brought in a RB rated close to Lucky or Green.  They haven't brought in a DT rated close to Suh.  They haven't brought in a DB rated better than Lamar Jackson.  They haven't brought in a WR rated better than Tyjon Lindsay.

1 hour ago, CalhounHusker said:

Have you ever actually worked out? Because I’m so tired of hearing the S&C comments. It takes years to develop players in that department and isn’t done in 1-2 offseasons. 

Yes, I work out every day...when you are a football player who plays for a team rich with glory and success, you need to work out and get stronger without having to be during official NCAA practice time. I doubt the Minnesota players had more practice than our OL line yet our OL line was pushed around all night. I saw those guys dropping like flies leaving the QB to fend for himself. Now, do you work out?

Does anyone on this board actually believe that our special teams have had any progress over the past seven years? We blocked one punt in forever, and we continually make the wrong decisions on whether to return the punt or just let it drop. It is all about simple fundamentals and this team is not doing any of the things that they are supposed to do to win football games. So, is that coaching or the players? We pay coaches to coach, so I think that is on them.

• Plus1 1

23 hours ago, Thurston from Pender said:

Fire all of them! Bring back Charlie McBride, Frank Solich, Turner Gill and Barry Alvarez.

No sh$p.  I'm on board with that!  It will never happen but that crew would have us BACK, like when Fast Eddy Felson got his specs!

We'd get Frost a cushy waterprood condo back in Eugene then spank that zone running quack attack.

1 hour ago, huskerfan74 said:

Yes, I work out every day...when you are a football player who plays for a team rich with glory and success, you need to work out and get stronger without having to be during official NCAA practice time. I doubt the Minnesota players had more practice than our OL line yet our OL line was pushed around all night. I saw those guys dropping like flies leaving the QB to fend for himself. Now, do you work out?

Lol, I figured that would be your response. I’m gonna go ahead and ask if you know how to program for every season of an athlete then? I’m gonna also assume you have no idea. Strength and conditioning while playing a college sport is completely different than just “working out” as an average joe. They have around 4-6 months to put on actual strength and then maintain. So to expect a strength and conditioning coach to turn something around in 10-12 months is ridiculous. Duval’s program, as well as his brothers are working and will take time.

Nebraska has no glory in the B10. We aren’t an established dynasty and need to realize we are a complete rebuild. 

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, CalhounHusker said:

Lol, I figured that would be your response. I’m gonna go ahead and ask if you know how to program for every season of an athlete then? I’m gonna also assume you have no idea. Strength and conditioning while playing a college sport is completely different than just “working out” as an average joe. They have around 4-6 months to put on actual strength and then maintain. So to expect a strength and conditioning coach to turn something around in 10-12 months is ridiculous. Duval’s program, as well as his brothers are working and will take time.

Nebraska has no glory in the B10. We aren’t an established dynasty and need to realize we are a complete rebuild. 

When I was a college football player (short inglorious career) we lifted four days a week during the off season. Our workouts were good not great because the older coaches, some of them did not understand or care about the difference between lifting for power, and bodybuilding.  I put on 10 lbs.  And I was a weakling.  How long have these coaches been here?  I would say that there has been enough time for a DEDICATED player to be close to where they want to be. There shouldn't be any linemen looking like Ogre from revenge of the nerds.  No guts, No undefined chests, No straight undeveloped biceps or tri's.  But I am seeing it.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
5 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

This might be true if this were the 1st or 2nd game in 2018...unfortunately this is year 2 and our stats against common competition are worse overall.  Against Colorado, Illinois, Ohio State, Northwestern and Minnesota here are some key metrics to show regression this year relative to 2018.

• We are 2-3 against these 5 teams year over year, but the 3 losses in 2018 were by 5 points in less.  In 2019 two of our losses have been by 27 points and 41 points.
  • The average points Nebraska scored in 2018 against these 5 teams was 39.4.  The average in 2019 is 20.0.  
  • The average points allowed year over year is roughly the same (33.2 to 32.8) so no real improvement in that regard
  • The average total yards Nebraska had in 2018 against these 5 teams was 552.4.  The average in 2019 is 398.4.  We have 154 fewer yards per game against the same competition in 2019 than we did in 2018, and this is a full year into Frost's system with more of his players and schemes that have been employed.

Overall the data shows regression in many categories, with the offense showing the most regression while the defense is about the same as 2018 from these key metrics.  I didn't even bother looking at special teams as we all know that has gone downhill.

I don't think most Husker fans expected to win the West in Year 2 of Frost, but we certainly expected to see a positive trajectory...not a trajectory showing the team is getting worse.  

Even if the offensive line was crappy last season, it was more experienced than this years bunch. Again once the offensive line develops with Frost’s guys, things will get better. 

• Plus1 1