2020 Coaching Staff

25 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I still remember my dad insisting that we couldn't win a National Championship with McBride.  That was in 1992 or 1993.

I confess, I thought the same thing while we used the 5-2 Defense as a base. And, I didn't have much optimism that changes would be made. Then in 1992 we switched to using a 4-3 with speed, could defend the passing Offenses much better, and the rest is history....just one more thing I was wrong about.... :D 

• Fire 1
10 hours ago, Jarhead In Red said:

I confess, I thought the same thing while we used the 5-2 Defense as a base. And, I didn't have much optimism that changes would be made. Then in 1992 we switched to using a 4-3 with speed, could defend the passing Offenses much better, and the rest is history....just one more thing I was wrong about.... :D 

It did take way too long to accept that we needed to ditch the 5-2 and get some damn speed/athleticism on D. The best team in CFB history was a TO/McBride-coached squad with stud athletes on both sides of the ball.

• Plus1 1
On 10/13/2019 at 10:39 AM, SECHusker said:

The problem I see isn't entirely with the coaching staff, granted I am not a fan of Dewitt, but with the culture and players. There is a mindset in this team that a coach can lead them to glory and all a coach can do is give them the tools to be successful... The players have to use them. And to that point we don't have many players with the mindset that they can be good in spite of coaching and take responsibility for their own play and actions.

For all those guys on the team that have aspirations of playing in the league, they need to realize that they won't be able to choose their coaches in the league and yet they are still expected to produce. 

Even though there are some less than desirable results this year with player performance and progress, I will hold off on any judgement about coaches until after next season, at the earliest. Since the players still appear to have issues with culture, effort, discipline, execution, it's hard to sort out what problems were inherited from Riley, and which ones continue to be problems because of mismanagement by the current staff. JMO, but I want to see how the staff does with the first class or two of players that Frost recruited before I draw any conclusions about the ability of the current staff....

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Jarhead In Red said:

Even though there are some less than desirable results this year with player performance and progress, I will hold off on any judgement about coaches until after next season, at the earliest. Since the players still appear to have issues with culture, effort, discipline, execution, it's hard to sort out what problems were inherited from Riley, and which ones continue to be problems because of mismanagement by the current staff. JMO, but I want to see how the staff does with the first class or two of players that Frost recruited before I draw any conclusions about the ability of the current staff....

I agree. I want to see a full 2 deep roster of Frost players only. Lets just hope the current Riley guy dont rub off on the new guys and pick up bad habits

4 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Once Frost gets the offense rolling, it's going to be laughable how much better Chin is going to look to the fanbase. 

I agree. For some reason the offense has regressed. The defense looks "better", but its hard to tell with the offense not performing as expected.

3 minutes ago, jager said:

I agree. For some reason the offense has regressed. The defense looks "better", but its hard to tell with the offense not performing as expected.

The offense regressed as a result of graduating 4 productive Sr players (2 OL) and replacing them with young, unproven players who are still figuring things out.

As far as defense, until our LBs don't play like crap, that unit will never be very good.

• Plus1 1
Just now, ActualCornHusker said:

The offense regressed as a result of graduating 4 productive Sr players (2 OL) and replacing them with young, unproven players who are still figuring things out.

This happens every year to every team. 

The college football experts considered the players who were returning and concluded that Frost's 2019 offense would be even more dangerous. 

• Plus1 4

15 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The college football experts considered the players who were returning and concluded that Frost's 2019 offense would be even more dangerous. 

It does happen every year to every team.

Yet not exactly.

Last season there were players that were initially recruited by Pelini.  There are players now recruited by Riley.....and some by Frost.  Obviously many of the upperclassmen now are Riley guys.

Different offenses.....different types of players recruited.

Frost himself said these guys can push a lot of weight around.  That doesn't mean they are suited for what Frost wants to run schematically.

So yes, this happens to every team.

Yet not exactly.

7 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I agree. I want to see a full 2 deep roster of Frost players only. Lets just hope the current Riley guy dont rub off on the new guys and pick up bad habits

To some degree they probably have and it has shown in a handful of SF guys not working out.  You are going to have about 25% of your young guys on a team that aren't mentally strong and can go either way - if ALL the upperclassmen and MOST of the underclassmen are going strong in the right direction the few questionable ones will tend to go in the correct direction when they hit that first rough spot.

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

If a team has depth and it happens it doesn't matter - NU was lacking depth

It actually doesn't happen next year to the NU offense.

• Plus1 1