2020 Coaching Staff

5 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Its not a matter of what coaches will do for Frost or them trying to work harder for Frost...they simply do not have the experience or pedigree to right this ship. Frost needs new coaching blood and ideas to get this moving in. different direction. 

Changes don't always fix the problem. We fired a sub par D coordinator in Banker for a very awful DC in Diaco. This in my mind is year 1 with last year being year 0. At least give them until the end of 2021 to show what they have. If some coaches do not rise up and are continually a problem I think they will be let go. Until then, we will not see any firings but potentially some coaches taking different gigs.

We as fans always think firing can fix the problem and sometimes it can. However, if we can be patient and trust the coaches to adjust to the Offenses and defenses of the Big Ten we will be fine. Everyone's patience can run out in a few years if certain coaches don't hold their weight. 

• Plus1 2

I keep thinking back to week 1 when the TV announcers said Verduzco said he completely overhauled Martinez's passing mechanics in the offseason. 

If there was ever a QB coming out of high school that didn't need his mechanics tinkered with it was Martinez.

I know we're supposed to love Verduzco because he's a wacky character, but he might be the reason Martinez is wildly inaccurate now.

• Plus1 3
6 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

Changes don't always fix the problem. We fired a sub par D coordinator in Banker for a very awful DC in Diaco. This in my mind is year 1 with last year being year 0. At least give them until the end of 2021 to show what they have. If some coaches do not rise up and are continually a problem I think they will be let go. Until then, we will not see any firings but potentially some coaches taking different gigs.

We as fans always think firing can fix the problem and sometimes it can. However, if we can be patient and trust the coaches to adjust to the Offenses and defenses of the Big Ten we will be fine. Everyone's patience can run out in a few years if certain coaches don't hold their weight. 

Let's take the example of Chinander as D Coordinator.  If he had a long history of running successful defenses at other teams, I am completely on board with saying he needs to be given more time. But he has been a defense for only 3+ seasons and has never led a top 20 stout defense.  UCF had to score 50 points or more to be their toughest competition in most games.  Thus, if I am Frost and evaluating where I want to take this program, I would be asking myself if Chinander is the long-term answer to making Nebraska's defense great again. 

Having a few more recruits is not going to solve the poor defensive play calling against Indiana where he failed to blitz as a means to overcome the weakness on the D-line.  We all watched as the Hoosier QB had all the time in the world to pass and beat our secondary.

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Let's take the example of Chinander as D Coordinator.  If he had a long history of running successful defenses at other teams, I am completely on board with saying he needs to be given more time. But he has been a defense for only 3+ seasons and has never led a top 20 stout defense.  UCF had to score 50 points or more to be their toughest competition in most games.  Thus, if I am Frost and evaluating where I want to take this program, I would be asking myself if Chinander is the long-term answer to making Nebraska's defense great again. 

Having a few more recruits is not going to solve the poor defensive play calling against Indiana where he failed to blitz as a means to overcome the weakness on the D-line.  We all watched as the Hoosier QB had all the time in the world to pass and beat our secondary.

Frost thinks he is the answer long term. It’s why he brought him to Lincoln. Frost is use to seeing teams carve up his defenses. I didn’t like the hire from day 1. 

7 hours ago, The Dude said:

I keep thinking back to week 1 when the TV announcers said Verduzco said he completely overhauled Martinez's passing mechanics in the offseason. .

I don't remember hearing that, are you sure?

Frost wanted the same coaches that were with him at UCF where they had a lot of success but first had to turn the program around.  His assistants came with Frost to help him turn around his alma mater.  They also have a lot of respect for Frost, believe in him and wanted to keep working with him.  All of this seemed like an idea situation so even though things haven't played out as we've expected I don't think it justifies breaking up the band just yet.  I would stock up on some analysts though.

3 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This.  For god's sake, this.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"UCF had to score 50 points or more to be their toughest competition in most games. "

And Frost brought that crew up here and guess what we see:  Husker football incapable of scoring enough to cover what our Chinander-run defense gives up.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This.  For god's sake, this.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"UCF had to score 50 points or more to be their toughest competition in most games. "

And Frost brought that crew up here and guess what we see:  Husker football incapable of scoring enough to cover what our Chinander-run defense gives up.

We all have opinions, and mine is completely contrary to yours and the people that agree with you.  Somehow you have a somewhat sizeable following so this isnt directed at you individually.  But i can name at least 3 or 4 reasons to blame ahead of Chin.

1. Frosts philosophy- we dont hold the ball for long on offense , so our defense gets tired.  

2. Our defense is designed to create turnovers more than anything else.  Frost has stated this.  We did a great job of that yesterday...its our OFFENSE fault we couldnt score off of those

3.  We dont have much talent on defense.  Chin has made improvement from last year.  Quite significant improvement actually.

4.  If you think our defense was the cause of our loss yesterday, how tf do you excuse Frost and our Offense? Our offense was dispicable, maybe you guys just want to blame anyone other than Frost or his golden boy Martinez who sucks.

4 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

You are correct that our defense has struggled the last three games. He has had some strange calls and we still don't have a clue how to rush the passer successfully. But as I have said time and again we can all want change and hope for change. What I am telling you is that won't happen just yet. Chins has until year 4 to fix this thing. If he doesn't he can be shown the door. If he does than he will be with Frost for a long time. 

Frost is loyal to his guys and knows where this is going. Chins best defense was actually in his first year at UCF where they improved from the year before. Since then, he has struggled. I am going to give it time and if he does not adjust or refuses to adjust to get this defense right he should be fired. It is too early to make changes because some of these players have seen 3 DC's in their time here. When we get the next guy, he will need two or three years to get his system in and the players to adjust to it as well. 

We are not elite or close to elite in any phase of the game. Improvement needs to be made in all phases and the ones that don't we can make changes to. 

7 minutes ago, BigPeterJ said:

We all have opinions, and mine is completely contrary to yours and the people that agree with you.  Somehow you have a somewhat sizeable following so this isnt directed at you individually.  But i can name at least 3 or 4 reasons to blame ahead of Chin.

1. Frosts philosophy- we dont hold the ball for long on offense , so our defense gets tired.  

2. Our defense is designed to create turnovers more than anything else.  Frost has stated this.  We did a great job of that yesterday...its our OFFENSE fault we couldnt score off of those

3.  We dont have much talent on defense.  Chin has made improvement from last year.  Quite significant improvement actually.

4.  If you think our defense was the cause of our loss yesterday, how tf do you excuse Frost and our Offense? Our offense was dispicable, maybe you guys just want to blame anyone other than Frost or his golden boy Martinez who sucks.

Where?

• Plus1 1
52 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I am not sure how to do a poll, but what do you all think the odds are that Frost at least changes one staff position in the offseason? What about changes to one of the coordinator positions? 

No one is getting fired for on field performance. People can whine and complain all they want but Frost wanted time for him and his staff when he got here and he will get it. No matter how much people ask the answer isn't going to change. Who would he fire? The guy who has improved our defense 2 years in a row? I don't think so.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1