2020 Coaching Staff

2 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Sipples column is concerning if Frost truly believes there should be no change in assistants. Special teams has been a disaster all season even if you take out the injury to Pickering. I guess we will know in a couple months if the entire staff is kept intact for Year 3.

If the entire staff comes back or not. We probably get our asses smoked with next years schedule. But after next year I think you will see a few staff moves with another 500 or less season.

• Plus1 1

36 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Sipples column is concerning if Frost truly believes there should be no change in assistants. Special teams has been a disaster all season even if you take out the injury to Pickering. I guess we will know in a couple months if the entire staff is kept intact for Year 3.

Has it though? Including the kicker's injuries, totally. But otherwise - kick return hasn't been good, and Armstrong punts great when there's no pressure and has a habit of shanking the important ones. But we blocked 2 punts against Purdue, and we haven't given up big returns that I can recall since Shenault's. I'm sure there have been one or two, but special teams is way down on my priority list.

• Plus1 2

On 10/13/2019 at 3:01 PM, Jeremy said:

When we play Wisconsin, if Chinander has 2 high safeties 20 yards from the LOS, he needs to be gone. Before the end of the game. That's just surrendering and flat out embarrassing for a D1 coordinator. Taylor will eclipse Gordon's 408 for sure.

I was impressed that he went with a 4 front after the Gophers gashed us for a quarter and a half, but he kept going away from it, and they would gash us every time. 

If we were really serious about pulling out all the stops, no fear of failure, we'd run a 4-4 or true 5 front and focus all our effort on stopping Taylor. Play man outside, damn the torpedoes and big-boy ball at the LOS. It's about PRIDE and not letting ANYONE step on our field and run all over us. Have some damn PRIDE, Scott!

image.png.0698da93f02f35f6105baec5c8d93987.png

Chinander needs to go but Frost won't do it now or ever. That would take balls. This is some Cosgrove s#!t going on here. Taylor from Wisconsin might have 500 yards on Saturday. Who would have ever thought that a Nebraska defense would get picked apart by a third string Purdue QB? Sad state of affairs

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Fat Tony said:

Chinander needs to go but Frost won't do it now or ever. That would take balls. This is some Cosgrove s#!t going on here. Taylor from Wisconsin might have 500 yards on Saturday. Who would have ever thought that a Nebraska defense would get picked apart by a third string Purdue QB? Sad state of affairs

You and I remember Cosgrove very differently. This isn't good by any stretch, but 2007 was literally the worst P5 defense in the country. This one is middle of the pack.

• Plus1 4
6 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

Has it though? Including the kicker's injuries, totally. But otherwise - kick return hasn't been good, and Armstrong punts great when there's no pressure and has a habit of shanking the important ones. But we blocked 2 punts against Purdue, and we haven't given up big returns that I can recall since Shenault's. I'm sure there have been one or two, but special teams is way down on my priority list.

1.Kickoffs have been poor and Armstrong has struggled to get it to the end zone. 

2. Our punt and kick coverage has not been great with many opponents starting in great field position.

3. Our kick and punt returns have had numerous penalties and our starting field position outside of the Purdue game has been bad.p

18 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

1.Kickoffs have been poor and Armstrong has struggled to get it to the end zone. 

So it's more the player than the coaches.

2. Our punt and kick coverage has not been great with many opponents starting in great field position.

We are #11 in the country in punt coverage - we've given up 24 punt return yards on the season.

We are middle-of-the-pack on kickoff coverage but we're #112 in the country in ow many kick returns we've faced so I think a lot of that has to do with not having a kicker who can kick it into the end zone.

Field position and kick coverage are not the same thing.

3. Our kick and punt returns have had numerous penalties and our starting field position outside of the Purdue game has been bad.p

We are middle-of-the-pack in both return games.  Everyone has penalties on returns.

Again, field position and quality of returns are not the same thing.

• Plus1 2
8 hours ago, Mavric said:

So it's more the player than the coaches.

We are #11 in the country in punt coverage - we've given up 24 punt return yards on the season.

We are middle-of-the-pack on kickoff coverage but we're #112 in the country in ow many kick returns we've faced so I think a lot of that has to do with not having a kicker who can kick it into the end zone.

Field position and kick coverage are not the same thing.

We are middle-of-the-pack in both return games.  Everyone has penalties on returns.

Again, field position and quality of returns are not the same thing.

Some fair points....where do we rank with field position on kick returns...just curious. 

Regarding penalties, it does seem we have seen fewer in the return game the past 2 games. 

On 11/11/2019 at 10:11 AM, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

Frost is admittedly offense oriented.  So.. what gifts he has as a coach are lost on the other half of the team due to 100% trust in the DC.

I can't trust a DC who gives up so many damned points.  Neither should he. 

I don't think you're wrong, but i do think you have to take into account: 

- our offense has turned the ball over in terrible times and left our defense in horrible positions (3 times against S. Alabama alone) 

- starting field position for our defense has to be one of the worst in the country. 

These don't excuse the amount of points the D has given up, and how poorly the LBs have played, etc. but I've been far more disappointed in the offense

8 hours ago, ActualCornHusker said:

I don't think you're wrong, but i do think you have to take into account: 

- our offense has turned the ball over in terrible times and left our defense in horrible positions (3 times against S. Alabama alone) 

- starting field position for our defense has to be one of the worst in the country. 

These don't excuse the amount of points the D has given up, and how poorly the LBs have played, etc. but I've been far more disappointed in the offense

Well we not getting rid of frost and we will never win with a s#!tty offense and s#!tty defense. Maybe with a new DC we can have a good D

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Well we not getting rid of frost and we will never win with a s#!tty offense and s#!tty defense. Maybe with a new DC we can have a good D

Believe me, I wouldn't feel sorrow if we were to get a top notch DC. I'm just saying the PPG allowed by the defense is inflated by the offense turning the ball over, and a combination of the offense & special teams losing the field position battle all year.

• Plus1 2