2020 Coaching Staff

Nobody will get fired. These players need consistency. 

Next year is year 2 in my mind with this year being like year 1. Last year was year 0 in my book. 

If by 2021 coaches aren't cutting it they should be let go. And we will see if Frost makes those changes or not. DeWitt gets a pass from me this year because of what happened with him. 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

Next year is year 2 in my mind with this year being like year 1. Last year was year 0 in my book. 

If by 2021 coaches aren't cutting it they should be let go. And we will see if Frost makes those changes or not. DeWitt gets a pass from me this year because of what happened with him. 

There's no such thing as year zero. Fleck said that Minnesota and Nebraska fans and media gave him s#!t for it and rightfully so. How many excuses does frost get honestly? 

• Plus1 1
Just now, LumberJackSker said:

There's no such thing as year zero. Fleck said that Minnesota and Nebraska fans and media gave him s#!t for it and rightfully so. How many excuses does frost get honestly? 

This was not the first time I have posted something similar to this. I am not making excuses just trying to be realistic here. My perspective may be different than others but this was a long rebuild. I definitely did not expect to have a losing season this year. 

Next season is huge for Frosty. He could get 9 wins, or 6 wins or 5 wins again. We are playing the long game and if a few things go our way here or there we are 7-5 this season. Now, will he fire coaches is yet to be determined but I don't see him doing that. Most will either leave on their own or step away. 

2 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

This was not the first time I have posted something similar to this. I am not making excuses just trying to be realistic here. My perspective may be different than others but this was a long rebuild. I definitely did not expect to have a losing season this year. 

Next season is huge for Frosty. He could get 9 wins, or 6 wins or 5 wins again. We are playing the long game and if a few things go our way here or there we are 7-5 this season. Now, will he fire coaches is yet to be determined but I don't see him doing that. Most will either leave on their own or step away. 

I just hate the year zero talk no matter the coach. Its only brought up when things go badly which to me is a cop-out. If the coaches got paid and the team took the field it counts.

I didn't think Nebraska would even be challenging for division titles this year but loses like iowa, purdue and Colorado are getting ridiculous. The team this year hardly improved compared to the end of last season. 

28 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

I keep seeing people say this, or it’s always you, but this makes no sense to me. ST’s has sucked the last two years. We couldn’t kick the ball out of the end zone on KO’s, couldn’t kick field goals, gave up a KR TD today and others. There were a few good tacklers on the punt team, but that’s about it. Linebackers were horrid. Worst position group besides maybe the guards. What makes the LB coaches even worse is that they have missed on so many recruits. Why keep them to potentially stink up the place next year? 

I’m not a huge fan of Chin, but I’m all for the coordinators and Frost staying. But position coaches are interchangeable. If you can’t coach, and can’t recruit, what good are you for the program? 

• Plus1 1
51 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

I’m not really sure what Walters does to be honest. He’s landed some decent recruits but even with those it seems like Held is either assisting or the primary recruiter on. We’ve had some attrition of his own recruits, we’ve struggled to get other WRs to step up, and Frost calls the plays. That’s not to say he needs to be on the chopping block but it’s concerning to me that I don’t hear a ton about him.

I was asking myself the same thing a lot this year. I'm sure he does a lot more than I realize but his position group was very rough this season and the offense looked bad more often than it looked good this season. 

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Trying to mock the idea that some things take time.

Uses an example of another team that used it and is now a Top 10 team a couple years later.

Hmmmmmm..........

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I keep seeing people say this, or it’s always you, but this makes no sense to me. ST’s has sucked the last two years. We couldn’t kick the ball out of the end zone on KO’s, couldn’t kick field goals, gave up a KR TD today and others. There were a few good tacklers on the punt team, but that’s about it. Linebackers were horrid. Worst position group besides maybe the guards. What makes the LB coaches even worse is that they have missed on so many recruits. Why keep them to potentially stink up the place next year? 

I’m not a huge fan of Chin, but I’m all for the coordinators and Frost staying. But position coaches are interchangeable. If you can’t coach, and can’t recruit, what good are you for the program? 

I'm in the consistency crowd here. I think development comes with time, changing too much staff is detrimental at this point. Think about the Davis twins, they had four different line coaches during their four years. Not to give too many excuses but I can easily understand how their development was negatively impacted by having a different coach every season.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Trying to mock the idea that some things take time.

Uses an example of another team that used it and is now a Top 10 team a couple years later.

Hmmmmmm..........

How did i mock the idea? I said i wasnt expecting them to be world beaters by now. Fleck also made a bowl game in year 2, i mean year 1.

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, Waldo said:

It is definitely just me making the claim for consistency. You can want x amount of coaches to be fired but Frost will not do it. He won with this staff so he will ride them out until he has to make a change. I will give you the fact DeWitt has whiffed on recruiting but the 2020 cycle is not over just yet. 

12 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

I just hate the year zero talk no matter the coach. Its only brought up when things go badly which to me is a cop-out. If the coaches got paid and the team took the field it counts.

I didn't think Nebraska would even be challenging for division titles this year but loses like iowa, purdue and Colorado are getting ridiculous. The team this year hardly improved compared to the end of last season. 

Fleck made a year 0 comment and has a the best season in Minnesota in as long as anyone can remember. I get what you are saying but if it wasn't year 0 why give Frost an extension?  It is to preach patience to the fan base. Moos will not force his hand and make Frost make a change. That is when the coach can't do his job and is told what to do. 

• Fire 1
38 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

It is definitely just me making the claim for consistency. You can want x amount of coaches to be fired but Frost will not do it. He won with this staff so he will ride them out until he has to make a change. I will give you the fact DeWitt has whiffed on recruiting but the 2020 cycle is not over just yet. 

Fleck made a year 0 comment and has a the best season in Minnesota in as long as anyone can remember. I get what you are saying but if it wasn't year 0 why give Frost an extension?  It is to preach patience to the fan base. Moos will not force his hand and make Frost make a change. That is when the coach can't do his job and is told what to do. 

At what point does he have to make a change though?  Do we go 2 more seasons of being just above or below .500 before a change is made?  Other programs such as Baylor have made huge strides despite having the team in the dumpster just a couple years ago.  I don't think anyone expected Nebraska to be winning a conference title in the 2nd year, but I also don't believe anybody suspected we would have the worst 2 year conference record in the BIG West in 2018 and 2019.

1 hour ago, HuskermanMike said:

Fleck referring to his first year as year zero has nothing to do with why they are good now. Minnesota improved on the field made a bowl game and actually beat one of their rivals in year 2 and are now one of the top teams in the big10 in year 3.

I also am not saying i want a bunch of staff changes but 2 years into a rebuild is probably enough time to evaluate who has what it takes from a coaching and recruiting stand point to get Nebraska where it wants to be.

• Plus1 1