2020 Coaching Staff

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

Again.

We are bringing in talented guys, I won't question that.  But saying we have recruited "better at all positions since the 90s" is not a factual statement.

If you are talking the highest 3 year average recruiting ranking since the 90s, still not right.  Cally averaged #16 from 05-07, and #17 from 04-06.  We would have to have a top 10 class this year for that to be true.

If you are talking highest rated player at each position since the 90s, that is not true.  They haven't brought in a RB rated close to Lucky or Green.  They haven't brought in a DT rated close to Suh.  They haven't brought in a DB rated better than Lamar Jackson.  They haven't brought in a WR rated better than Tyjon Lindsay.

Those Cally years you cited were higher overall all rankings which was boosted by a class of 30 players. However, highest average player recruiting belongs to Frost the last three years. Cally averaged about a .85 composite. Frost is probably going to be averaging a .88.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BartonHusker said:

Even if the offensive line was crappy last season, it was more experienced than this years bunch. Again once the offensive line develops with Frost’s guys, things will get better. 

Everyone complains about our line play but what exactly is the problem with them? Run blocking was much easier (especially when we ran the option) as opposed to pass blocking...Most of our guys are young but supposedly are pushing the weights much better..So...What gives? Line blocking schemes?

2 hours ago, HUSKER 37 said:

Everyone complains about our line play but what exactly is the problem with them? Run blocking was much easier (especially when we ran the option) as opposed to pass blocking...Most of our guys are young but supposedly are pushing the weights much better..So...What gives? Line blocking schemes?

Oh trust me I’d much rather us go back to our old option scheme in a heart beat. I think it is a offense much more suited for the B1G. 

Sometimes it just takes time for the line to gel and come together. We don’t even have a senior on the two deep. Not to mention some of those lineman are being red-shirted. So they aren’t even in the mix yet like Benhart. Even when Corcoran comes in next season, he likely needs a red-shirt year imo. So again next season should be better but it may even be two seasons from now that we see a much more dominating offensive line. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, BartonHusker said:

Oh trust me I’d much rather us go back to our old option scheme in a heart beat. I think it is a offense much more suited for the B1G. 

Sometimes it just takes time for the line to gel and come together. We don’t even have a senior on the two deep. Not to mention some of those lineman are being red-shirted. So they aren’t even in the mix yet like Benhart. Even when Corcoran comes in next season, he likely needs a red-shirt year imo. So again next season should be better but it may even be two seasons from now that we see a much more dominating offensive line. 

I miss it sometimes too...Trying to remember why it pretty much died off...Too many teams loading the box?   Too many faster Linebackers or corners turned into LBs?

16 hours ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

Also, I believe it was reported that UF was not willing to let Frost bring all of his assistants to Gainesville.   I think they made a fantastic hire in Mullen so it probably worked out well for them.  I can see the decline in MSU with Moorhead at the helm.

Mullen is a quality coach, Starksville is the armpit of the SEC, if you can stay above .500 there you're a hero. Florida was right IMO,  if you want to run with the big dogs you need to staff with your head not your heart. If this kind of play keeps-up Frost and Moos need to have a serious sit-down where they honestly evaluate the staff and see where they can upgrade.

12 hours ago, Jeremy said:

When we play Wisconsin, if Chinander has 2 high safeties 20 yards from the LOS, he needs to be gone. Before the end of the game. That's just surrendering and flat out embarrassing for a D1 coordinator. Taylor will eclipse Gordon's 408 for sure.

I was impressed that he went with a 4 front after the Gophers gashed us for a quarter and a half, but he kept going away from it, and they would gash us every time. 

If we were really serious about pulling out all the stops, no fear of failure, we'd run a 4-4 or true 5 front and focus all our effort on stopping Taylor. Play man outside, damn the torpedoes and big-boy ball at the LOS. It's about PRIDE and not letting ANYONE step on our field and run all over us. Have some damn PRIDE, Scott!

Ya, Chin needs to accept where our respective strengths and weaknesses lie. Against anyone pounding the rock 4-man front needs to be our base.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, BartonHusker said:

Even if the offensive line was crappy last season, it was more experienced than this years bunch. Again once the offensive line develops with Frost’s guys, things will get better. 

I am hopeful you are right, but in many aspects of both sides of the ball we are seeing players remain stagnant or regress a bit.  

We also heard Frost proclaim that this years team and talent were far better than last year across the board, yet on the field against common competition the 2019 team is worse statistically.  We are 2-2 in the league and could easily be 0-4 without comeback wins against Illinois and Northwestern. 

• Plus1 1

Well I think our overall talent would show better on offense if we just purely had better offensive line play. It is amazing how things look when you have pass protection and big holes in the running game. 

Same goes for the defensive line on the other side of the ball. You get pressure on the quarterback and you stop the run, everyone looks good. 

Back in the 90’s we were so dominate because we were better than everyone else upfront on both sides of the ball. Pretty simple in thought but not easy to obtain. 

• 2 weeks later...

On 10/14/2019 at 1:30 AM, HUSKER 37 said:

I miss it sometimes too...Trying to remember why it pretty much died off...Too many teams loading the box?   Too many faster Linebackers or corners turned into LBs?

I miss just lining up with a heavy set and pounding a defense into the ground with 5-6 yard runs that eventually turned into 30, 40, 50+. Not this spread RPO stuff trying to be like every other team in CFB. The option was awesome to see. I think it could still work but in today's game as an extension of the passing game but you've got to have some sort of vertical threat.

I think as CFB evolved, that yes, players got smaller, you now see LB's that are glorified hybrid safeties and some linemen who look like they could be LB's back in the 80's and 90's. But back to offense, Osborne had a vertical passing game with some decent WR's throughout his coaching career. Could all this stuff work in Lincoln? I think so. It was easier to snag Nebraska kids to come play here also when we ran a power run/option scheme. The high schools in Nebraska tried to emulate that. It didn't require a ton of talent to do it but you needed some run blocking offensive linemen which we never seem to run out of back then. Remember, most of the starters on offense during our last NC, a majority of them were Nebraska kids.

I find it difficult to see the SF offense producing players like that here in our own state. There could be a spurt or two. He's going to have to bank on kids outside the state to turn things around here. Tall order if you ask me. He needs much better recruiters/assistants at Nebraska. This isn't Florida where we can get high 3 and low 4 star guys who aren't being recruited by multiple other Nebraska football programs. Ryan Held barely scratches the surface as a top 50 recruiter in the country.

That concerns me. These guys are over performing as recruiters, so we'll see in the next few years if things will improve. Still believe SF will need to adjust his offense and defense to the B1G.

Reality is Frost was a rookie HC at a G5 program. What are the chances he put a whole staff together that can win big in the BIG? Not good. Frost said he doesn't like the practice of telling some assistants they aren't good enough when HC's get a promotion but there is a reason HC's typically just cherry-pick from their current staff then take several guys from elsewhere. There is a reason Florida wasn't supportive of bringing the whole coaching staff over plus promoting a coaching newb. He could most likely hire a better staff at Florida or Nebraska than he could at the time at UCF, especially with the benefit of broadened experience/contacts.  As-is we're left hoping a good G5 staff will develop into a good P5 staff.

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, Danimal said:

Reality is Frost was a rookie HC at a G5 program. What are the chances he put a whole staff together that can win big in the BIG? Not good. Frost said he doesn't like the practice of telling some assistants they aren't good enough when HC's get a promotion but there is a reason HC's typically just cherry-pick from their current staff then take several guys from elsewhere. There is a reason Florida wasn't supportive of bringing the whole coaching staff over plus promoting a coaching newb. He could most likely hire a better staff at Florida or Nebraska than he could at the time at UCF, especially with the benefit of broadened experience/contacts.  As-is we're left hoping a good G5 staff will develop into a good P5 staff.

This is all true to some degree, and may end up being for the best. Scott knows football there is no doubt about it,  so if he see something in a Chinander or Austin or Ruud that he thinks is worth working with, no better time to work through it than with the crap show that was in that locker room last year and again this year. The biggest thing we miss on in this situation, imo, is the name brands needed in recruiting. Recruiting is the first thing we as fans like to make excuses for, as in, oh kids will never come here. But kids will come here, we've seen it with Cally and we've seen in with Frost's name brand on O.  We need a D and we may need some big names that enable us to get that D in place.. But for now, I can handle Frost's dance with the one who brung you philosophy.. Its the kind of thing that can pay off huge if the guys in place really are capable but young.