Post Minnesota Game Thoughts/Rest of the season

Decked

14 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

100% this.  If anybody came away from this s#!tshow with any opinion other than Martinez is our best option and the blame lays at the feet of the offensive line, then I can't take anything you think seriously.

I don’t agree.  Martinez was good last year - not this year.  Vedral did as good as Martinez did this year against good teams.

• Haha 2

Just now, Hayseed said:

This game convinced me that we don't have a great QB but that's not our biggest problem. Any kind of offensive production and we would've had a game despite a pretty pathetic defense.
Didn't we score with Vedral? Wonder why he put in Bunch?

You wonder?

I don't.

Bunch went it because watching Vedral play was like watching this dude, Jesus Christ, go through a certain number of stations...I mean...we kind of know the end result.

• Plus1 2

Just now, teachercd said:

You don't pull a guy that needs reps and that you think will be good...for a guy that you literally were hoping was going to leave the team.

I think he pulled him because he got dinged up. 

Lets be realalistic here. We know AM isn’t the problem (although I still don’t think he’s running anywhere nearly as well as he did last year, even in the open field where the OL is irrelevant), but Vedral has nothing to be ashamed of either. He played well and had them in scoring position in the first half, only to have penalties derail them. 

I honestly don’t think we lost much from the QB position tonight. Although Vedral did hold the ball too long several times. 

• Fire 1
8 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

Scheme is OK imo. People s#!t all over Riley for being ice cream and sprinkles. They were right. Frost has to have some bad guys on the staff that the players are afraid of. Osborne had his henchmen to get results. 

Truth.  Darlington and Tenopir and McBride were "screw up once I'll tell you about it directly,  screw up twice and you'll be watching from the sidelines " kind of coaches.

• Plus1 1

This team is going to have a tough time becoming bowl eligible. I see absolutely no chance against Wis. & Iowa which means they have to find a way to get 2 wins out of Ind., Purdue & Maryland.They are all pretty bad but I don't think we are any better. It will be tough getting 2 wins in those 3 games. Could be a rough ride.

This is not going at all like I had hoped it would.

Just now, 3rd and long said:

I think he pulled him because he got dinged up. 

Lets be realalistic here. We know AM isn’t the problem (although I still don’t think he’s running anywhere nearly as well as he did last year, even in the open field where the OL is irrelevant), but Vedral has nothing to be ashamed of either. He played well and had them in scoring position in the first half, only to have penalties derail them. 

I honestly don’t think we lost much from the QB position tonight. Although Vedral did hold the ball too long several times. 

Agreed.

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

You wonder?

I don't.

Bunch went it because watching Vedral play was like watching this dude, Jesus Christ, go through a certain number of stations...I mean...we kind of know the end result.

No, Vedral's hurry up drive was a good one.....then he switched to Bunch which was not easy to watch.

3 minutes ago, Toe said:

The OL is by far the biggest problem. Unfortunately, O-linemen are slow to develop, so you probably aren't going to see much improvement this season. The only consolation is that the line is young, so they might be better by the ends of their careers.

I understand what you are saying and you are probably right.  But didn't we do that to some degree last year and then the 4-2 run happened that gave us all the undeserved pre-season hype?  If we shake it up on the line from a personnel perspective, maybe it could help?  I just know that our line has been terrible this year.  Example: In the 3rd qt it was 3rd and 20 and Vedral had to go to the check to the running back in the flat before a receiver would have had a chance to run a 20 yard route due to the pressure.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

This team is going to have a tough time becoming bowl eligible. I see absolutely no chance against Wis. & Iowa which means they have to find a way to get 2 wins out of Ind., Purdue & Maryland.They are all pretty bad but I don't think we are any better. It will be tough getting 2 wins in those 3 games. Could be a rough ride.

This is not going at all like I had hoped it would.

Iowa is horrible...period.  They might be lucky to win 6 games too.  Purdue sucks and MD is terrible.

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

You want to set the program back another 3 years by completely retooling recruiting? The Spread can work in the Big Ten. 

If it would avoid another 3 years of this?  Yes.  In a heart beat.  Against OSU, I saw a glimmer of the Husker Power he mentioned.  I think had TO continued coaching, you'd see an evolved O predicated on RPO/Zone reads with counters and traps.  you can run Frost's O under center in the I, in pistol or shotgun and two back sets.  I'm just a fan of one predicated on power vs finesse. 

Time he puts the money where his mouth is.  Show me the Power.