Post Minnesota Game Thoughts/Rest of the season

Decked

I think the announcers felt sorry for Nebraska. Like, honestly deep down sorry.

They also didn't understand why the defense was out of position so often, and visibly giving up on plays still in progress. We can talk about the OL all we want, but this team is unfocused in all phases of the game. 

My friends who root for other teams have teased me over the years when Nebraska loses. They've stopped teasing. They feel sorry for Nebraska, too, because we've veered into the pathetic.  I would say this is the bottom, but it's easy to see some more really bad games coming down the road. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

They also didn't understand why the defense was out of position so often, and visibly giving up on plays still in progress. We can talk about the OL all we want, but this team is unfocused in all phases of the game. 

My friends who root for other teams have teased me over the years when Nebraska loses. They've stopped teasing. They feel sorry for Nebraska, too, because we've veered into the pathetic.  I would say this is the bottom, but it's easy to see some more really bad games coming down the road. 

Fans are fans. I've seen the bravado get washed off Frost. Last year the Michigan game would never happen again. Then Ohio State happened this year. Reality happens.

1 hour ago, Decked said:

Keep in mind Vedral actually had some decent snaps tonight. Adrian didn’t have that luxury. 

in games that martinez had decent snaps, he still made poor decisions. 

Martinez has turned the ball overmore than any other Division 1 player this season. that has nothing to do with the o-line. vedral in this game was definitely limited by the o-line. but when there were no penalties or whiffed blocks, he made plays. thats more than we can say for martinez.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, ebohnart said:

Or OL was a huge factor is costing us this game, and I’m just not sure we have the athletes available currently to do better. I trust Frost wholeheartedly, and I feel he is the absolute right fit for here. It’s gonna take time. Riley was THAT BAD. 

We aren't there but are we less talented than Minny?

25 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I saw defense slacking at the end of at least a couple plays last game too

I think it is time that FROST got a little nasty...first, he needs to ban Khalil Davis for one game as this is the second game in a row where he committed an unsportsmanlike penalty. If he bans him, that would send a strong message to all the other undisciplined players who think with their asses. He also needs to evaluate the players very carefully and play those players with fire in their bellies, the players who are proud to be playing for Nebraska. Right now, I can count the players who play hard on one hand. The rest have absolutely no pride or heart. Whether this is on the players or the coaches, I don’t care, but the coaches who are cashing their fat checks need to figure it out. If I performed this badly in my job, I would expect to be fired. I like Frost and want him to succeed in Nebraska but he consistently looks surprised by his teams poor performance. I refuse to believe that Fleck is a better coach than Frost but tonight was embarrassing for Frost. For a guy who hates losing, his team is really poopooing all over the field.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, thatguy said:

in games that martinez had decent snaps, he still made poor decisions. 

Martinez has turned the ball overmore than any other Division 1 player this season. that has nothing to do with the o-line. vedral in this game was definitely limited by the o-line. but when there were no penalties or whiffed blocks, he made plays. thats more than we can say for martinez.

Just because you hold onto the ball and don't turn it over doesn't mean you were 'making plays'. Noah didn't play bad tonight but if ppl really think he is better than AM, you're drunk. 

• Plus1 2

Indiana shut out Butgers.  Purdue blew out Maryland but Purdue has looked bad this season.  We need to scrape a win out of the lesser teams of Indiana, Purdue or Maryland but we'll probably be dogs in those games.  5 wins will be an improvement over last year and the team might shut it down for the rest of the season.  A bowl game is unlikely.  I know Iowa and Wisconsin will blow us out.  Wisconsin D is able to end the no shutout streak unless Chryst takes sympathy after going up by 60.  I can't believe that is a thing anyway with all of the incredibly bad teams we've had recently so it doesn't really matter.

It looked like our O is still having difficulty executing basic plays.  That is probably keeping Frost from opening up the playbook.  Sounds like we had better snaps tonight, no turnovers, 5-33 yards in penalties so some improvements.  Baby steps.

• Thanks 1