Post Minnesota Game Thoughts/Rest of the season

Decked

Just now, 4skers89 said:

Indiana shut out Butgers.  Purdue blew out Maryland but Purdue has looked bad this season.  We need to scrape a win out of the lesser teams of Indiana, Purdue or Maryland but we'll probably be dogs in those games.  5 wins will be an improvement over last year and the team might shut it down for the rest of the season.  A bowl game is unlikely.  I know Iowa and Wisconsin will blow us out.  Wisconsin D is able to end the no shutout streak unless Chryst takes sympathy after going up by 60.  I can't believe that is a thing anyway with all of the incredibly bad teams we've had recently so it doesn't really matter.

It looked like our O is still having difficulty executing basic plays.  That is probably keeping Frost from opening up the playbook.  Sounds like we had better snaps tonight, no turnovers, 5-33 yards in penalties so some improvements.  Baby steps.

Need to find 2 wins out of Indy, Purdue, and Maryland. I mean Scott is getting 5 million per to do this. 

2 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Just because you hold onto the ball and don't turn it over doesn't mean you were 'making plays'. Noah didn't play bad tonight but if ppl really think he is better than AM, you're drunk. 

vedral played better than adrian martinez has all season. go watch the tape. his decision making was better. 

that's not the same as saying that he's better or more talented than martinez. that's been the issue all season: martinez is not playing anywhere near what he is capable of, for multiple reasons, both internal and external.

• Plus1 1

26 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

We aren't there but are we less talented than Minny?

I think we have more talent, but we aren’t the better team- yet. It IS possible to have brilliant players with tons of talent and still not be the better team. The problem is that we have serious, gaping holes right now that are stopping 2 hugely important things for any successful team- consistency and identity. We have some brilliant playmakers, but we also have some guys out there who are not... who consistently make errors and who make the SAME errors over and over and over. There is no excuse for an OL to have 5 guys and MN can rush 4 and get to the QB. The problem comes from not having the right guys- yet. I think what happened tonight is a result of MN watching footage, and learning how to exploit the weaknesses our OL has shown all year- not to mention we had our backup in there who played his heart out, but who isn’t Martinez. We have the bye next week, and my hope isn’t that we can not only nurse our wounds and get key playmakers healthy again, but that we will be able to perhaps finally address the mental mistakes some guys keep making. I have faith in our staff, and think they will learn and grow and find a way to get better. The sky isn’t falling, but Husker fans also need to be realistic when it comes to this team, and where we are. The Riley era hurt this program for 3 long years and I anticipate cleaning up his mess will take at least that long. We have to have patience and faith in who is in there now. No one wants us to be better more than the coaches in that room or the players on the field. 

• Plus1 2

I'll continue to stand by that Chinander sucks. This MF came out in a 3-3-5 defense tonight and we got ran TF over the whole game. We start 3 SR DL, Mo B is a SR, Davis is a SR, Jackson a SR....where are the excuses for the front 7 getting destroyed tonight? They literally ran 3 plays all game. We also got burnt twice but were lucky they had a drop and an over throw. The alignment and no gap sound defense just drives me insane. Iowa was close to not scoring one single TD in B2B games but was in it till the end vs Penn St and Michigan. A good defense can go a LONG ways. 

The O-line is the worst I've ever seen at Nebraska, and we are still young on offense. We start 0 SRs once Warner starts for Noa soon. Still no excuses for some of Frost's decisions in play calling. Very disappointed tonight, but I do agree that our O-line makes things very difficult. Austin, what about those rotations? I saw our guards get OWNED all night and we didn't sub one time. I know for a fact that teams would love to have Martinez, Washington, Spielman, Stoll and Robinson on their football team. Time to score some damn points. 

• Plus1 4

5 minutes ago, ebohnart said:

I think we have more talent, but we aren’t the better team- yet. It IS possible to have brilliant players with tons of talent and still not be the better team. The problem is that we have serious, gaping holes right now that are stopping 2 hugely important things for any successful team- consistency and identity. We have some brilliant playmakers, but we also have some guys out there who are not... who consistently make errors and who make the SAME errors over and over and over. There is no excuse for an OL to have 5 guys and MN can rush 4 and get to the QB. The problem comes from not having the right guys- yet. I think what happened tonight is a result of MN watching footage, and learning how to exploit the weaknesses our OL has shown all year- not to mention we had our backup in there who played his heart out, but who isn’t Martinez. We have the bye next week, and my hope isn’t that we can not only nurse our wounds and get key playmakers healthy again, but that we will be able to perhaps finally address the mental mistakes some guys keep making. I have faith in our staff, and think they will learn and grow and find a way to get better. The sky isn’t falling, but Husker fans also need to be realistic when it comes to this team, and where we are. The Riley era hurt this program for 3 long years and I anticipate cleaning up his mess will take at least that long. We have to have patience and faith in who is in there now. No one wants us to be better more than the coaches in that room or the players on the field. 

Kitchen

8 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

I think it is time that FROST got a little nasty...first, he needs to ban Khalil Davis for one game as this is the second game in a row where he committed an unsportsmanlike penalty. If he bans him, that would send a strong message to all the other undisciplined players who think with their asses. He also needs to evaluate the players very carefully and play those players with fire in their bellies, the players who are proud to be playing for Nebraska. Right now, I can count the players who play hard on one hand. The rest have absolutely no pride or heart. Whether this is on the players or the coaches, I don’t care, but the coaches who are cashing their fat checks need to figure it out. If I performed this badly in my job, I would expect to be fired. I like Frost and want him to succeed in Nebraska but he consistently looks surprised by his teams poor performance. I refuse to believe that Fleck is a better coach than Frost but tonight was embarrassing for Frost. For a guy who hates losing, his team is really poopooing all over the field.

I'd like to know what is going on with the dirty play.  First it was the Colorado game then Khalil against Illinois and now tonight.  Is it just Khalil?  I know we didn't have all choir boys in the past but I don't remember so many blatant dirty plays and always thought we just played hard but clean.  I don't even recall Suh doing anything questionable while he was here.  This season has tanked so might as well set expectations going forward and bench Khalil for Indiana and Purdue.  Maybe Wisconsin will beat some sense into him.

I listened to some of Fleck's post game presser and he emphasized pride in all things Minnesota.  I can see why he had Minnesota put on their jerseys instead of names for a while.  Having a former player from Nebraska that won a NC for Nebraska and is now coaching for Nebraska, with other former Nebraska players on staff not instilling a sense of Nebraska pride in the team nor a killer instinct is baffling.  It seems like something that should happen automatically.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1