Post Minnesota Game Thoughts/Rest of the season

Decked

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

This against a Minnesota offense that had scored 3 rushing TDs in the 5 games prior and got blanked in the next 2 after us

That graphic at the bottom:facepalm: 4th time allowing 50 points for Mike Riley. He would go on to give up 2 more. Only once has that happened under Frost

Riley didn't hire Diaco.  Our AD and a couple of boosters did.  Could it be possible that this program would be in better shape had Riley and his staff been left alone?  They did go 9-4 prior to Diaco's hiring.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 3

-Our strength and conditioning was suspect again this week. While this aspect is something that needs time to develop...I don’t see much improvement by the team (Compared to Pre-Season hype). Both lines getting pushed back 3-5 yards every play by Minny, not to mention how our O-line has been manhandled almost every game, doesn’t suggest S&C is taking hold or is effective. 

Is our S&C legitimately an improvement? If I had to judge based on year 2, I’d say mostly no. 

-Frost needs to start placing more value on OL and DL commits until both lines are up to snuff, possibly at the expense of recruiting skill for now. In the B1G, you build from the inside out, by sticking the lines with talent and then getting playmakers. I feel we’re doing the same thing we did with Riley (and Bo, to be honest)—going outside in, valuing skill over the trenches. 

Yes, I know we’ve picked up linemen in our classes. But honestly we should be looking to have a fully stocked two deep on both lines by year 3 or 4. I don’t think we’ll be close to that by even year 5 at this point. 

-I’ve said this before, but our Sports Psychology department should be looked at. Sports Psychology was an unsung hero of the 90s teams, and we even have some of the same staff from that era willing to come back and help.

As it stands now, the department has the same people brought in during the Riley era servicing these kids. While making mistakes and not concentrating is 75% muscle memory and repetition via practice to forget, 25% is straight up mental preparedness to focus and handle adversity (like last night). When we have kids that appear to phone things in after a 14-0 start and can’t get out of their own damn head to get back on track...that’s where Sports Psychology comes into play. Frost has coached these kids on what to do and how to physically execute—but if you’re not mentally focused and prepared...you get what you had last night. 

-How much confidence do we have in our position coaches and DC? When you have kids making the same mistakes repeatedly ad nauseam, that’s on the DC. When you have a team that uses play action because they have three backs they can bludgeon you with, that’s coaching to make them aware of their tendencies and to watch for play action passing. We have kids playing hard (until we get down—see Sports Psychology) but not smart, and that’s on the DC. 

-Why do we insist on running offensive Rushing plays with the wrong backs?

Mills isn’t an edge guy, he’s a third down, pound it down the middle bruiser, yet he’s asked to run finesse/stretch plays to the boundary and doesn’t get but a couple of yards.

Washington is a perimeter threat, yet he’s asked to get 3 or 4 hard yards on third down up the middle, which isn’t his forte. 

So, you say “we can’t have our RB personnel tipping off the type of running play coming”, which is right. But you *CAN* come up with looks/formations that use both RBs on the field at the same time to keep the defense guessing. It’s what made that I-Formation look so successful when we ran it before. 

-Frost does care, and he’s going to get this fixed. But it’s going to take time, and he’s a newer coach that’s still learning and will make mistakes. Moos was on point earlier this season by putting our team’s focus on getting to six wins and a bowl game in year 2–he now appears to be a wise sage in what was as a sea of overhyped pre-season derp. Remember—even Devaney went 6-4 a couple of years before he could right the ship, and people were grumbling then. Of course, Devaney had post-game Elk’s Club hijinks to help smooth things over with the boosters...but we need to remember patience. Frost will get it done. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

Offensive line - garbage

Defensive front seven - garbage

If anyone was wondering why Martinez was a head case this year, it is because he had ZERO faith in the line protecting him.  If I had to worry about getting injured on every play, I'd probably be a nut also.  

What I can't figure out is how we end last season looking so good to looking so bad this year.  Did losing the seniors really drag this team down that much?  Right now I don't know if we can beat teams like Indiana, Purdue and Maryland, if we do, it will be very close in all of them.  Wisconsin and Iowa are going to destroy us so get it out of your heads that we stand a chance against them.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
26 minutes ago, r06ue1 said:

Offensive line - garbage

Defensive front seven - garbage

If anyone was wondering why Martinez was a head case this year, it is because he had ZERO faith in the line protecting him.  If I had to worry about getting injured on every play, I'd probably be a nut also.  

What I can't figure out is how we end last season looking so good to looking so bad this year.  Did losing the seniors really drag this team down that much?  Right now I don't know if we can beat teams like Indiana, Purdue and Maryland, if we do, it will be very close in all of them.  Wisconsin and Iowa are going to destroy us so get it out of your heads that we stand a chance against them.

If you recall the oline was terrible last year until they fired bum conrad and put farmer at center.  I dont think ppl realize how much of a difference it makes having a center that knows what they are doing.  After that zig took off.

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, URSS said:

This team is demoralized and they lack pride and fight.

The best that can happen is that get a miracle that makes us bowl eligible and our recruiting is not hurt.

I believe that there will never be anymore good Husker football until the offensive line issue is fixed.

Yeah.  The offensive line.

And the defence?  And special teams? 

Taylor Britt shouldn't have played last night. Dude was out there with one shoulder and he tried to use his left hand to tackle people. Lamar Jackson is the worst shy away tackler I have seen at Nebraska. You and CBS can suck him off but for that love of piss watch the film. Mo Barry overruns more plays than anyone in the past decade. Alex Davis is out there for what reason?? Darrion played his worst game by far and got pushed around. Miller and Honas look like Dedrick Young. What has Bootle done this year? Mix that in with Chinander thinking we were playing Tom Brady last night with 3 DBs way off the ball and you have a disaster waiting. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2
11 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

100% this.  If anybody came away from this s#!tshow with any opinion other than Martinez is our best option and the blame lays at the feet of the offensive line, then I can't take anything you think seriously.

I agree the O line is the biggest problem currently, but I would add that the linebacker play has been atrocious.  Both outside and inside.  

• Plus1 1

Some players need to lose their blackshirts. 

Im tired of seeing the Davis brothers get pushed around. Daniels is trash. Lamar Jackson is a diva.

O line is miserable, they will get better, but this year is over. Wiscy will hang 70 on us....again.  

I will hold judgement on Frost until he gets 4 solid years of recruiting. I can see what they are trying to do. But they don't have the players for the scheme just yet. Start building the lines on both sides of the ball and everything else will fall into place. 

• Plus1 3