Post Minnesota Game Thoughts/Rest of the season

Decked

7 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

We have had 0 turnovers the last 2 games and have a combined 20 points. Of course not turning it over is great, but so is making plays to be able to score. 

I was surprised that we took care of the football and snaps were actually serviceable and the O still flat-out reeked against a D we steamrolled last year(granted with a different DC).. Bad line play, penalties, wr's not stepping-up, questionable play-calls, injuries,  we have so many damn issues.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Danimal said:

I was surprised that we took care of the football and snaps were actually serviceable and the O still stank-up the joint against a D we steamrolled last year(granted with a different DC).. Bad line play, penalties, wr's not stepping-up, questionable play-calls, injuries,  we have so many damn issues.

I honestly see no WR development and haven’t been impressed by any of Walters recruits besides Wan’Dale who was mostly a Held and Frost recruit. He was gifted with Morgan and JD and losing one shows the flaws, imagine if JD is gone next year. Walters and Dewitt need to be the first on the hot seat. I would be thrilled to not see them next year on the sidelines.

• Plus1 3
38 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

I honestly see no WR development and haven’t been impressed by any of Walters recruits besides Wan’Dale who was mostly a Held and Frost recruit. He was gifted with Morgan and JD and losing one shows the flaws, imagine if JD is gone next year. Walters and Dewitt need to be the first on the hot seat. I would be thrilled to not see them next year on the sidelines.

I never wanted us to bring all the coaches over plus promote a newb to ILB coach but Walters and DeWitt were guys I was plenty glad we held onto. Surprised they have been so unproductive.

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, Bryon said:

The 3-4 absolutely does not fit this team's talent.  Can't we just get the 4 biggest fat guys to just lay down and make them at least run around them?   I will take any LB that can tackle in space and immediately start an All American campaign for them.

The way they line up I would audibling all night for the counter sweep to our right side. half run themselves out of the play, a third cannot shed a block and the other half can't tackle...  I know math nuts go crazy.

Man that was hard to watch.

The math works because several do more than one.

15 hours ago, Mavric said:

I knew Warner had been hurt but I didn't know what the story was.  

Apparently he developed a stress fracture in fall camp and then - about the time that was healed - pulled a hamstring.  That lingered for some time.  Just finally getting back up to speed.

I agree that he needs to be in there instead of Noa.

Is Noa officially the biggest dud of the new guys this year? You usually expect a grad transfer with pretty good stats to be a day-1 contributor, but here we are talking about ditching him for a walk-on with no offers.

Just now, Toe said:

Is Noa officially the biggest dud of the new guys this year? You usually expect a grad transfer with pretty good stats to be a day-1 contributor, but here we are talking about ditching him for a walk-on with no offers.

No...we need a QB that can get him the ball. 

21 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

I am weighing the recent turnovers more heavily because the team has made progress since the first games. Obviously not as much as we'd like. The "few low hanging apples" happen to be the only apples because we're talking about 5 turnovers, or if you are only talking about fumbles we're down to 2.

I've shifted my arguments because it went from "Martinez has the most turnovers" to "Martinez fumbles too much" to "I was speaking generally, you're missing the orchard for the apples. The "orchard" of fumbles in the past 4 games is literally 2 fumbles against Illinois. Not sure where else I'm supposed to focus. I will grant you against USA and Colorado Martinez was too fumble prone, I am and have been arguing he has fixed that for the most part.

I'm going to be a little pedantic here:

You cannot use an absolute (funnily enough the absolute you used "absolutely") if you're excluding specific cases. It is an absolute, by definition it encompasses all of the specific cases. "Absolutely nothing" does refer to every single individual fumble because it is an absolute, you've left no room to say "except for these ones." If you'd said "almost nothing to do with" I would have no issue with your argument, I would just disagree. But you can't argue an absolute and then claim it wasn't intended to refer to every case. I'm being pedantic sure, but words do matter.

well at least you admit to shifting the goalposts.

at this point you are only interested in being right as opposed to actually having a conversation. all of my posts to you have been consistent. they were me trying to explain my initial post. i can't help you if you can't or won't understand the simple things i wrote in english, especially if you are the only one seeing things that way.

here's the crux of what i'm saying: we have two quarterbacks who have seen significant playing time. both are dealing with poorly coached receivers, inconsistent snaps, bad playcalling, and poor o-line play. quarterback A is definitely more talented, but has made poor decisions, and has fumbled and turned the ball over more than every other FBS player in the time he has played. Quarterback B, in the 1.5 games he has played, has not fumbled, has not turned the ball over, and has been more decisive with the football than QB A.

those are facts. deal with it. or don't. your problem.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, thatguy said:

well at least you admit to shifting the goalposts.

at this point you are only interested in being right as opposed to actually having a conversation. all of my posts to you have been consistent. they were me trying to explain my initial post. i can't help you if you can't or won't understand the simple things i wrote in english, especially if you are the only one seeing things that way.

here's the crux of what i'm saying: we have two quarterbacks who have seen significant playing time. both are dealing with poorly coached receivers, inconsistent snaps, bad playcalling, and poor o-line play. quarterback A is definitely more talented, but has made poor decisions, and has fumbled and turned the ball over more than every other FBS player in the time he has played. Quarterback B, in the 1.5 games he has played, has not fumbled, has not turned the ball over, and has been more decisive with the football than QB A.

those are facts. deal with it. or don't. your problem.

I don't think your posts were intentionally inconsistent, more just me reading into them too much - and I disagree anyway. I don't doubt you meant fumbles when you said turnovers, and no one else seems to have been bothered by the "absolutely nothing to do with" comments so clearly I'm being a little too picky there. But you said turnovers initially, so that's what I responded to initially.

I get your position and think it's valid, my contentions are 1) "made poor decisions" is subjective. I agree Martinez has made poor decisions at times, I don't necessarily see Vedral making better ones. We can pick specific plays to back up our positions all we want, it's subjective. 2) In the past 4 games he's played Martinez has one fumble that was his fault. I understand the fact is over the course of the season Martinez has the most turnovers. I think the recent games should be weighed heavier, you don't have to agree on that. 3) 1.5 games is a very small sample size for Vedral.

We disagree, which is fine! The only actual fact in there is Martinez leading the FBS in turnovers though. Which admittedly does support your view more than mine if we don't believe Martinez has made ball security adjustments.