move to AAC or PAC12

BoSolich

The blowback would be horrible, but we would light up the B1G with Briles as OC. That man knows how to score, and in bunches. Just too bad he's a grade-A douche.

The MAC or MWC would be fun. We'd win a lot, make some good bowls. If we put 2 undefeated seasons together, we would probably be in the playoff hunt, especially if they expand it like everyone wants.

This offense was new and creative 10 years ago. Now, everyone does it, and defenses have begun to adapt accordingly with more speed and less DL. There are answers for the ZR, screen game, Dart, etc. Wisconsin eats these smaller defenses up with their moving mountain OL. They licked their chops at Pelini's Peso Nickle and pushed us around. Banker was actually solid with that 4-3 quarters scheme, and we almost beat them in '15 and '16 by stuffing that run.

Frost will never do it, but if we went with the Osborne blueprint, we would be solid and unique at the same time with the option element. VERY hard to prepare for, and helps the defense immensely when they aren't on the field all game.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy said:

The blowback would be horrible, but we would light up the B1G with Briles as OC. That man knows how to score, and in bunches. Just too bad he's a grade-A douche.

The MAC or MWC would be fun. We'd win a lot, make some good bowls. If we put 2 undefeated seasons together, we would probably be in the playoff hunt, especially if they expand it like everyone wants.

This offense was new and creative 10 years ago. Now, everyone does it, and defenses have begun to adapt accordingly with more speed and less DL. There are answers for the ZR, screen game, Dart, etc. Wisconsin eats these smaller defenses up with their moving mountain OL. They licked their chops at Pelini's Peso Nickel and pushed us around. Banker was actually solid with that 4-3 quarters scheme, and we almost beat them in '15 and '16 by stuffing that run.

Frost will never do it, but if we went with the Osborne blueprint, we would be solid and unique at the same time with the option element. VERY hard to prepare for, and helps the defense immensely when they aren't on the field all game.

Definitely some truth in this.  New offenses develop and defenses adjust to it over time.  Wisconsin has benefited by staying the same on offense while defenses have evolved to being less able to stop them.  Teams with overwhelming talent such as OSU can still stop them.  Pelini's defense which was effective in the pass happy B12 getting ran over by Wisconsin made this painfully obvious.  I think it's prudent for Frost to bring back some of TO's power run elements to help our defense prepare while adding to our own playbook.  No better time to do so while TO is still around to teach some of the nuances.  We still have to contend with Midwestern weather so it would be nice to still have an effective offense in November.  Wisconsin's strategy is paying off because they now have a complimentary defense capable of shutting down spread offenses or slowing them down enough that their ball control offense works well.  If your high powered offense misfires a few times against them and you aren't equipped to stop their offense, they'll bury you.  Currently we have a defense that can't stop a child and rule changes favor offenses so I don't know what Frost will do.  He sees that we are squishy soft which is such a contrast from when he played here so the temptation is probably there to bring back something from the past.

• Plus1 1

I remember Frost saying when at Oregon running into a physical team like Stanford was always a problem.   The problem going forward is he's going to run into a physical team like that almost every week now. 

Stop pu&&yfooting around and bring back Osborne and McBride's playbooks and get this thing "back to where it was".

Wisconsin is still doing more than fine with Alvarez's playbook and Osborne's playbook is a lot better that.

• Plus1 1
On 10/12/2019 at 10:27 PM, BoSolich said:

frost was on the oregon staff for several years learning from chip kelly before he took over the playcalling. it's the same offense.

it does not work in the physical cold big 10. especially with average talent.

Of all the things going on, you chose to focus on the OFFENSE?  Hello McFly did you see Minny go for 327 yds on the ground against our D?  Now THAT is the thing that has to change to fit the Big 14.

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

You gotta love Nebraska fans calling Frost's offense out dated while claiming we have to go back to power football from the 90s. I complain as much as anyone after we lose but geez this is a bit much. 

I never said it was out-dated. I said everyone does it. That's the problem - it's just not unique or hard to prepare for anymore. Wisconsin IS hard to prepare for, because that 3-4 or 3-3-5 designed to cover athletes in space isn't going to stop guards, tackles and tight ends bull-dozing for arguably the best back in the B1G. 

11 out of the 14 B1G teams run the spread. We aren't going to out-recruit Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State for the best spread athletes. We could probably out-recruit Wisconsin.

If Osborne's offense is SO old and out-dated, why did it work so well against one of the best defenses in the country for a drive with kids doing it literally for the FIRST TIME? Moreover, our offense looks like REALLY old-school Wildcat and QB Trey stuff from the '30's when we can't throw the ball. Which is quite often now. 3rd and 5? QB Draw/Power. Groundbreaking stuff there.

2 hours ago, Jeremy said:

I never said it was out-dated. I said everyone does it. That's the problem - it's just not unique or hard to prepare for anymore. Wisconsin IS hard to prepare for, because that 3-4 or 3-3-5 designed to cover athletes in space isn't going to stop guards, tackles and tight ends bull-dozing for arguably the best back in the B1G. 

11 out of the 14 B1G teams run the spread. We aren't going to out-recruit Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State for the best spread athletes. We could probably out-recruit Wisconsin.

If Osborne's offense is SO old and out-dated, why did it work so well against one of the best defenses in the country for a drive with kids doing it literally for the FIRST TIME? Moreover, our offense looks like REALLY old-school Wildcat and QB Trey stuff from the '30's when we can't throw the ball. Which is quite often now. 3rd and 5? QB Draw/Power. Groundbreaking stuff there.

Maybe just maybe Nebraska's offense doesn't look very good is because the offensive line sucks and the receivers cant get open. Maybe the best players are still young and a couple years from playing. Maybe one drive that ended in a turnover isn't a larger enough sample size to prove that i formation is the answer. Wisconsin runs old school power football and ohio state beats them every time as well.

I honestly believe that the rebuild is behind schedule, but i don't believe the answer is to complete change everything the coaches are doing and for them to coach a certain style that they have no experience coaching.

• Plus1 2

1) Wisconsin actually runs the ball slightly LESS often than Nebraska. We don't have to "get back" to power running, we have to get back to power everything. 

2) The biggest complaint among fans this year is that Frost HASN'T opened up his big, clever playbook. 

3)  When we aren't doing anything CONSISTENTLY well, it's not because we don't have an offensive identity, it's because we're not consistent. 

4) Lots of teams run offenses and playcalling similar to Frost and when it works it's called "good football" and no one talks about offensive identity or Chip Kelly. 

• Plus1 2

7 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

Of all the things going on, you chose to focus on the OFFENSE?  Hello McFly did you see Minny go for 327 yds on the ground against our D?  Now THAT is the thing that has to change to fit the Big 14.

Yeah, I thought it was weird the the post-game overreaction focused on an offense where the backup quarterback actually played pretty well, and underplayed the defensive surrender, especially given that the defense was our surest sign of progress. Wait. That kind of answered itself, didn't it. 

13 hours ago, The Dude said:

I remember Frost saying when at Oregon running into a physical team like Stanford was always a problem.   The problem going forward is he's going to run into a physical team like that almost every week now. 

Stop pu&&yfooting around and bring back Osborne and McBride's playbooks and get this thing "back to where it was".

Wisconsin is still doing more than fine with Alvarez's playbook and Osborne's playbook is a lot better that.

As awesome as the playbooks were, I'd take the players.

3 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

Maybe just maybe Nebraska's offense doesn't look very good is because the offensive line sucks and the receivers cant get open. Maybe the best players are still young and a couple years from playing. Maybe one drive that ended in a turnover isn't a larger enough sample size to prove that i formation is the answer. Wisconsin runs old school power football and ohio state beats them every time as well.

I honestly believe that the rebuild is behind schedule, but i don't believe the answer is to complete change everything the coaches are doing and for them to coach a certain style that they have no experience coaching.

I would contend that if our receivers can't get open, let's take one of them out of the game and run a fullback out there to help block with a struggling offensive line. More than a quarter of our running plays are getting stuffed at the line, mostly because our backs have to contend with at least one unblocked defender in his face when he gets the ball. 

Instead of a slow-developing read play, let's give our back some downhill steps to get going, and a lead blocker in front of him. Instead of having our struggling OL zone step, reach, and read linebackers, give them simple assignments - hat for hat stuff. They aren't doing well now, but you tell a kid that's 6'-6", 310 to take a few steps and block one guy until the whistle, and he'll do it. 

It's not rocket science, or reinventing the wheel. All of these kids have done this stuff before, since junior high. Who hasn't ran an ISO, Pitch, or even a counter in their football lives? Easy stuff. One fundamental rule of coaching football is that the simpler things are, the less the kids have to think, and the more they just play. We're thinking too much right now - who's blocking who? Where am I supposed to go? Why did I get pancaked when I'm an offensive lineman? 

I wish Frost's stuff would work in the B1G. But it just won't. Most of the defenses we see are too good, and too disciplined. My grandpa, a farmer his entire life, once told me - 'You can't dance around problems. Nothing moves unless it's shoved.' We need to less dancing and more shoving.