move to AAC or PAC12

BoSolich

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

1) Wisconsin actually runs the ball slightly LESS often than Nebraska. We don't have to "get back" to power running, we have to get back to power everything. 

2) The biggest complaint among fans this year is that Frost HASN'T opened up his big, clever playbook. 

3)  When we aren't doing anything CONSISTENTLY well, it's not because we don't have an offensive identity, it's because we're not consistent. 

4) Lots of teams run offenses and playcalling similar to Frost and when it works it's called "good football" and no one talks about offensive identity or Chip Kelly. 

Wisconsin passes the ball 35% of the time. We pass it 40% of the time. Splitting hairs? Maybe. 

The difference is they CAN run it. We haven't since...Illinois, maybe. Their play-action game is killer, because everyone has to respect their run so much. From what I've seen, it's not hard for teams to IMMEDIATELY know at the snap whether we're running or passing, and our play-action is nearly non-existent. 

IMHO, our constant attempts to run out of the spread are a square peg in a round hole. Let's replace those slow-developing reads with quick, down-hill, easy-blocking-rules ISOs. We aren't going to fool anyone, so let's get simple and try to grind out some drives instead of a 3 and out, a stopped, clock, a longer game, and tired defense.

53 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

I would contend that if our receivers can't get open, let's take one of them out of the game and run a fullback out there to help block with a struggling offensive line. More than a quarter of our running plays are getting stuffed at the line, mostly because our backs have to contend with at least one unblocked defender in his face when he gets the ball. 

Instead of a slow-developing read play, let's give our back some downhill steps to get going, and a lead blocker in front of him. Instead of having our struggling OL zone step, reach, and read linebackers, give them simple assignments - hat for hat stuff. They aren't doing well now, but you tell a kid that's 6'-6", 310 to take a few steps and block one guy until the whistle, and he'll do it. 

It's not rocket science, or reinventing the wheel. All of these kids have done this stuff before, since junior high. Who hasn't ran an ISO, Pitch, or even a counter in their football lives? Easy stuff. One fundamental rule of coaching football is that the simpler things are, the less the kids have to think, and the more they just play. We're thinking too much right now - who's blocking who? Where am I supposed to go? Why did I get pancaked when I'm an offensive lineman? 

I wish Frost's stuff would work in the B1G. But it just won't. Most of the defenses we see are too good, and too disciplined. My grandpa, a farmer his entire life, once told me - 'You can't dance around problems. Nothing moves unless it's shoved.' We need to less dancing and more shoving.

We all wanted frost to be our head coach and we all knew what kind of offense he ran. He's never ever going to have a power I offense. You also don't know his offense wont work in the big10 because he doesn't have the horses to run it. Maybe it won't but its too soon to tell. I do wish he would call some quick hitting passes that get the ball out fast and give our athletes the chance to pick up some YAC. But people can call for the 90s offense until they are blue in the face its not going to happen.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Jeremy said:

Wisconsin passes the ball 35% of the time. We pass it 40% of the time. Splitting hairs? Maybe. 

The difference is they CAN run it. We haven't since...Illinois, maybe. Their play-action game is killer, because everyone has to respect their run so much. From what I've seen, it's not hard for teams to IMMEDIATELY know at the snap whether we're running or passing, and our play-action is nearly non-existent. 

IMHO, our constant attempts to run out of the spread are a square peg in a round hole. Let's replace those slow-developing reads with quick, down-hill, easy-blocking-rules ISOs. We aren't going to fool anyone, so let's get simple and try to grind out some drives instead of a 3 and out, a stopped, clock, a longer game, and tired defense.

Someone posted the Wisconsin run/pass split last week before the Minnesota game. I guess that game tipped us back.

One thing Scott Frost did as a player, better than any other Husker QB I remember, is sell the play-action fake. We just don't do that anymore. Like you say, we tend to telegraph everything to the defense. Would love to see Frost coach Martinez on some of those slight of hand tricks.

• Plus1 1

I don't get wanting to move to the Pac 12 or back to the Big 12, or how "style of play" figures into it.

Whatever you consider Nebraska's style of offense or defense, why would our chances be better outside the Big 10? 

Let's say Kansas and Rutgers cancel each other out. The rest of a Big 12 schedule looks pretty lethal to this team. How many of these teams would you prefer over Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Maryland, Northwestern, Michigan State, or even the good but not great Minnesota team that rolled us last week? 

Oklahoma

Texas

TCU

Texas Tech

Oklahoma State

Kansas State

Baylor

West Virginia 

Iowa State

The Pac 12 will likely get shut out of the Championship Series, but I can't see Nebraska being favored against anyone in the bottom half of the Pac 12 either. 

We're in the Big 10. It's the right place for us. We just need to play better football. 

• Plus1 4
On 10/12/2019 at 10:16 PM, In the Deed the Glory said:

The best option would have been staying in the big 12. I'm not sure if going back is the best option though. It might be regardless of what anyone says. Logically it the best many of our traditional rivals are there. Recruiting wise our closest location to a major pipeline is Texas, and lucky for us it's the biggest. Our system doesnt work as well in the big 10 with as physical as it. Even ohio state I feel like has struggled with it the past few years and is a big reason they didn't make the playoffs a couple times. They are much more physical then we are too. I think we can get close to that level maybe even be more physical but it will be tough to go through the gauntlet of physical teams in the big 10 and the west I think is even more physical. Might need to really take hard look at our scheme if we want to stay. Frost has a plan but still. I think if we stay we really should go back to 8 conference games 9 is to much especially adding a championship game to that. Playing in 0 week is also something that I think helps extra practice extra bye week. Would be cool if that became a tradition. But I dont buy the argument about money. It's a bubble waiting to burst if you do your homework. 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

ndobney: “The best option would have been staying in the big 12.”

Big 12... This is the Big-OklaTex-Conference and they aren’t inviting anyone else to sit at the big table.

Big 10/14... Good for just the money but little else and a poor fit. Lousy rivalries.

Pac... Huskers mixed with Sexy Oregon and California and Southern California? Nah.

Best future... SEC. Get into league with the real big boys of college football. There’s no shame in finishing .500 in this league. And, you’ll always get into a decent bowl game. Plus, great road trips to Florida and Louisiana and the Southeast when Midwestern weather turns foul. Already got a brother in the SEC with Missou. And a contiguous geographic fit with Arkansas.

Plus, this high-profile league will be good for recruiting for the Big Red. Not everyone can make the Alabama roster. Good Southern players who want to play in the SEC will look to Nebraska and Frost’s offense to thrive. SEC gets major network TV priority.

And plant some palm trees around Memorial Stadium.... seriously. They’ll grow if you have below ground heating elements. Some like that seen around Missouri.

21 minutes ago, Roundball Shaman said:

ndobney: “The best option would have been staying in the big 12.”

Big 12... This is the Big-OklaTex-Conference and they aren’t inviting anyone else to sit at the big table.

Big 10/14... Good for just the money but little else and a poor fit. Lousy rivalries.

Pac... Huskers mixed with Sexy Oregon and California and Southern California? Nah.

Best future... SEC. Get into league with the real big boys of college football. There’s no shame in finishing .500 in this league. And, you’ll always get into a decent bowl game. Plus, great road trips to Florida and Louisiana and the Southeast when Midwestern weather turns foul. Already got a brother in the SEC with Missou. And a contiguous geographic fit with Arkansas.

Plus, this high-profile league will be good for recruiting for the Big Red. Not everyone can make the Alabama roster. Good Southern players who want to play in the SEC will look to Nebraska and Frost’s offense to thrive. SEC gets major network TV priority.

And plant some palm trees around Memorial Stadium.... seriously. They’ll grow if you have below ground heating elements. Some like that seen around Missouri.

I can just hear it ringing through Memorial Stadium...SEC, SEC, SEC! I would have to be a hard no on this.

Not to get all nerdy about this, but from an academic, financial, research, and whole University perspective, the move to the Big 10 was a no-brainer and there's no reason to go back. 

Are there honestly people who want out of the Big 10 because our football team is faring poorly at the moment? 

Wow, that's a candyass way to look at it. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

Everyones real thoughts:  The Big 12 was more fun, NU was better in it, the games look better because of the weather, the travel is easier.

Everyones "fake" verbal thoughts:  THE MONEY IS SO IMPORTANT (us fans don't see that money in our pockets so stop pretending that you care), the Big 12 is going to implode!  (No, it isn't, everything was Chicken Little about that s#!t), Texas Texas Texas, (good lord, who cares), Academics are so important!  (When was the last time 80,000 fans showed up to watch a kid take a chemistry test?)

I get it, I really do.  We all thought the conferences were going to blow up, we all thought the Big Ten was a great spot (Once we landed in it), but do you remember the constant fun we made of the Big Ten BEFORE we were in it?  Ohhhhh, the Texas Speed that NU has, ohhhh the Big Ten is slow and lame...all the games are at 11am...blah blah blah.

I don't care if they go back just like I don't care if they stay.  I just want to see them do well.

• Plus1 2
On 10/12/2019 at 10:19 PM, BoSolich said:

yea, but better talent isn't going to magically appear next year. we have an average recruiting class right now. we need a more basic offense that less athletic players can thrive in.

So suggest a more basic offense for now, no need to go all drama queen with the ACC / PAC12 nonsense.  Never go full drama queen.